Government banning fossil fuel new car sales 2035

Norway is currently at 50% market share for new electric cars,there's nothing to stop the UK reaching the new target. A YouTube channel I would highly recommend is Fully Charged with Robert Llewellyn as the main presenter,he test drives many of the latest EVs and shows all the latest tech on the market.

Norway only has 2.5 million cars the UK has 30.9 million cars so no comparison really when using %. Norway pop 5.2 million Uk 66 million at least compare like for like.

Scotland world leaders! All they need are some followers. Today they passed a Bill to give councils (their usual fly trick like they did with council tax rises so we blame the council) the power to charge a tax on companies who provide parking spaces for employees. These companies already pay rates on their car parks. For some reason NHS staff will be exempt - aren't all workers important.? We have absolutely diabolical public transport around Edinburgh, but hey, workers are treated with contempt by the SNP and the Greens, who quite clearly favour all the poor and disadvantaged. We already pay higher tax (and have a lower personal allowance) than the rest of the UK but they tell us we are actually paying less. Suppose all the freebies that their supporters just love need to be paid somehow. Lions led by donkeys.
Covered this on another thread .
But have to pull you up re Edinburgh bus service .
It is rightly praised by tourists and locals . Makes a profit too (pre trams anyway) !

Norway only has 2.5 million cars the UK has 30.9 million cars so no comparison really when using %. Norway pop 5.2 million Uk 66 million at least compare like for like.

It's more of an example of not only what can be achieved but with the support of government and the roll out of supporting infrastructure,there's no reason the UK can't do even better in the near future.
The UK government is currently subsidising fossil fuels and removing subsidies from green initiatives,hardly a recipe for achieving their stated targets.

It's more of an example of not only what can be achieved but with the support of government and the roll out of supporting infrastructure,there's no reason the UK can't do even better in the near future.
The UK government is currently subsidising fossil fuels and removing subsidies from green initiatives,hardly a recipe for achieving their stated targets.
Don't hold your breath.
The only incentive the UK government will ever give is increasing the tax burden on older vehicles,, which are predominately owned by the poorer end of society.

I watch a TV programme on Greece the other night , they have one of the biggest coal fields ever and produce their power from that, so what is the point of UK trying to reduce our emissions when the rest of the world especially China are sticking two fingers up at Us ? Their pollution travels round the Globe on winds and tides surely.

Scotland world leaders! All they need are some followers. Today they passed a Bill to give councils (their usual fly trick like they did with council tax rises so we blame the council) the power to charge a tax on companies who provide parking spaces for employees. These companies already pay rates on their car parks. For some reason NHS staff will be exempt - aren't all workers important.? We have absolutely diabolical public transport around Edinburgh, but hey, workers are treated with contempt by the SNP and the Greens, who quite clearly favour all the poor and disadvantaged. We already pay higher tax (and have a lower personal allowance) than the rest of the UK but they tell us we are actually paying less. Suppose all the freebies that their supporters just love need to be paid somehow. Lions led by donkeys.

This is already the case in England, NHS staff not exempt. My wife works for the NHS and has for several years had to pay for staff parking via salary deduction(irrespective of the fact that there are insufficient staff parking spaces and if there isn't one available she has to find parking elsewhere and pay again). The cost is deducted from her pay via salary sacrifice, and since 2017 it is now taxed on the higher amount of either the salary sacrificed or the actual benefit value, although still exempt from NI contributions, which saved her a whopping couple of pennies).

This is already the case in England, NHS staff not exempt. My wife works for the NHS and has for several years had to pay for staff parking via salary deduction(irrespective of the fact that there are insufficient staff parking spaces and if there isn't one available she has to find parking elsewhere and pay again). The cost is deducted from her pay via salary sacrifice, and since 2017 it is now taxed on the higher amount of either the salary sacrificed or the actual benefit value, although still exempt from NI contributions, which saved her a whopping couple of pennies).

Appalling.
I had no idea this was happening.
Not guaranteeing a place that has been paid for should be callenged though. How can they be allowed to have it both ways?

Challenge and say she dont own a car.

Challenge and say she dont own a car.
Then she wouldn't be able to park at work at all, unless she paid the visitor and patient parking rates £15 a day.

Hospital parking is managed by a private contractor. Staff without permits suffer the same fate as visitors who don't display tickets or overstay and hospital management wash their hands of any issues as it's "a matter for the parking management company".

Appalling.
I had no idea this was happening.
Not guaranteeing a place that has been paid for should be callenged though. How can they be allowed to have it both ways?
They say that she isn't paying for a dedicated space, just a permit to allow her to use specified staff parking areas if a space is available.

Park near by or close so can get a bus in.
Some times a house with no car, call and ask to park each week for say half what hos are asking,some one may be glad of extra pocket money.

Park near by or close so can get a bus in.
Some times a house with no car, call and ask to park each week for say half what hos are asking,some one may be glad of extra pocket money.
She works at three separate hospital sites, and has to travel between at least two of them during a shift each day. The reason the hospital trust enforce parking restrictions is that without them, the public use the hospital car parks due to lack of parking on street or elsewhere, and catch their trains or toddle off to their offices elsewhere leaving less parking fort staff, patients or visitors. People often park wherever they like, including across other people's driveway (ours included on occasions) and the councils sanction new developments with no or insufficient parking facilities "to discourage car ownership". Public transport doesn't run at the times shift workers need it. You should visit the Home Counties, it's lovely :(

And electric cars are a good idea, but they are so expensive and no good at towing a caravan.

Remember how we were all encouraged to drive diesels then they raised the tax on diesel. Electric prices are going to go through the roof as soon as the majority are hooked. Then there will be punitive taxes on oil fuels. Glad Im getting old

Remember how we were all encouraged to drive diesels then they raised the tax on diesel. Electric prices are going to go through the roof as soon as the majority are hooked. Then there will be punitive taxes on oil fuels. Glad Im getting old

...and the electricity charges will be variable depending on the time of day. That is why they are 'forcing' smart meters on us.
Just got back at 18:00 from that dirty labouring job you've been dong all day?
Shame because if you have a shower now (in the peak period) it will cost you 3 times as much in electricity costs compared to what it will cost after 21:00 (for example). That goes for cooking your tea and everything else.
They will have to use price to control the surges for demand as they just can't supply all we will need in the peaks going forward; they can only just do it now.

I watched an episode of BBC's Click early the other morning featuring electric cars.
Was quite interesting. But what ordinary family has 70k to spend on a family type electric car?!!! It's the price that's the killer in getting electric to catch on, but I guess that's usually true of all new technology?

Interesting that in a speed test the Porsche Taycan Turbo S all electric car beat the old fossil fuel powered Lamborghini into a cocked hat. The Porsche went from 0-62mph in 3.2 seconds with a range of 279 miles. Impressive. 🙂

I watched an episode of BBC's Click early the other morning featuring electric cars.
Was quite interesting. But what ordinary family has 70k to spend on a family type electric car?!!! It's the price that's the killer in getting electric to catch on, but I guess that's usually true of all new technology?

Interesting that in a speed test the Porsche Taycan Turbo S all electric car beat the old fossil fuel powered Lamborghini into a cocked hat. The Porsche went from 0-62mph in 3.2 seconds with a range of 279 miles. Impressive. 🙂
Yes they seem to think that everyone is loaded, the VW man if I remember correctly and as I have already said what if you want to tow a caravan, horse box, boat or trailer will the electric cars be able to do that ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back