Government banning fossil fuel new car sales 2035

The Government are good at setting deadlines for everybody else but they can't even work out what they will be doing at the end of this month.
Maybe we can shift deadlines as easily as they can even when set in law?
Or would that be like expecting our alcohol to be subsidised as is theirs?

Hope that doesn't apply to burning wood and logs after all my hard work, I also have about 2 tonnes of coal, briquettes, charcoal, and anthracite, I am going to Portugal for the winter so it is going to last some time yet Hee Hee

a.JPGSDC10002.JPGSDC10003.JPGSDC10011.JPGSDC10004.JPGSDC10046.JPG

Hope that doesn't apply to burning wood and logs after all my hard work, I also have about 2 tonnes of coal, briquettes, charcoal, and anthracite, I am going to Portugal for the winter so it is going to last some time yet Hee Hee

Nice supply. I have heard rumours though about bringing in legislation against woodburners.....

I hope you are on a gas tariff without a 'standing charge'. No point paying a daily charge if you don't use much gas. I have one for electric as I use so little of it.

Government to bring banning of fossil fuel new car sales forward to 2035

Scotland are (independently) looking at 2032

Government to bring banning of fossil fuel new car sales forward to 2035

Scotland are (independently) looking at 2032

A week is a long time in politics, 15 years is light years. Dyson has just scrapped his 2.5billion project, the 435 employees will be absorbed into other parts of his business.

Here we go again. They are hoping battery technology will increase the range of the humble car. At the moment they cannot even come up with a standard plug there are 3 different ones. What are they expecting people to do. Sit around in service stations waiting to use the charging point because ther are not enough to go round.

Last edited:
Here we go again. They are hoping battery technology will increase the range of the humble car. At the moment they cannot even come up with a standard plug there are 3 different ones. What are they expecting people to do. Sit around in service stations waiting to use the charging point because ther are not enough to go round.

Isn't charging time limited to 45 minute s at service stations which is barely enough to take you 20 miles.

You can shout ,wiggle ,scream like a baby as much as you want but better get used to it cos it will be all there is,most of us wont be here to bother us to much .
Anyway you can still use your car/van after that date but just wont be able to buy a new one.

Scotland world leaders! All they need are some followers. Today they passed a Bill to give councils (their usual fly trick like they did with council tax rises so we blame the council) the power to charge a tax on companies who provide parking spaces for employees. These companies already pay rates on their car parks. For some reason NHS staff will be exempt - aren't all workers important.? We have absolutely diabolical public transport around Edinburgh, but hey, workers are treated with contempt by the SNP and the Greens, who quite clearly favour all the poor and disadvantaged. We already pay higher tax (and have a lower personal allowance) than the rest of the UK but they tell us we are actually paying less. Suppose all the freebies that their supporters just love need to be paid somehow. Lions led by donkeys.

Norway is currently at 50% market share for new electric cars,there's nothing to stop the UK reaching the new target. A YouTube channel I would highly recommend is Fully Charged with Robert Llewellyn as the main presenter,he test drives many of the latest EVs and shows all the latest tech on the market.

Less than 1% of cars on uk roads are electric,I reckon that represents the amount of people who are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Read an interesting article a few days ago. If we were all to switch to electric cars, the world's consumption (and production) of electricity would need to more than double. Currently, global production of electricity from ethical sources is less than 9%, nuclear less than 1% and the remainder split roughly 2:1 between natural gas and coal.

Per Kw of energy, production of electricity from gas and coal is claimed to be almost twice as damaging as emissions from petrol and diesel exhausts, and the warming effects much longer lasting. Large areas of the middle east in particular generate almost 100% of their electricity from fossil fuel and have no real incentive to change because it is cheap (to them) and readily available.

Singapore has recently announced an intention to switch to electric vehicles, yet produces it's electricity almost entirely from fossil fuels and waste incineration!

I don't know the answer, but the assumption that the world can double electricity generating capacity and provide a reliable supply wholly from solar, wind, tidal and similar natural methods within 15 to 20 years is surely living in cloud cuckoo land?

Yes but the ban is only not 100% power from fossil fuel, so hybrids will still be here.
Exactly and that is the huge get out clause. They only need to make some form of hybrid that hardly does anything. One that only run on elec at less than 5mph would meet the criteria.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back