Google Maps rant

barryd

It's a love hate relationship I have with Google Maps. It's invaluable out on the scooter when away in the motorhome but it drives me mad. Despite me downloading the offline maps for the UK which it said would not be deleted until 2025 unless updated when I needed them yesterday on the Lizard in Cornwall they had gone. So back at base I downloaded them again. Tested them and they still wouldnt blooming work when there was no 4g signal. I then remembered that if you go into Airplane mode and then use Maps the offline maps work so I tested it in the van and yes it did. So got to some far flung part of Cornwall, went to plan a route and nope. Even in Airplane mode the offline maps do not allow you to start or plan a route. Just says no connection available. The instructions when it does work are often way too late also.

One of the main functions we use Google maps for also is finding each other. Well me generally tracking Michelle so I can pick her up after a hike or she watching where I am on the Kayak or the bike. Same thing. I can always see where I am on the map but if there is no 4g I cant see her and vice versa which doesnt make much sense really.

Any thoughts?

Our use of Google maps is much more basic.
Navigate to ..... is about the limit of what we ask. Must admit in the beginning I went round a few roundabouts because it was a bit late with the instructions. These days I use a back up system (SWMBO) to tell me which exit to take.

If you know where you are, but she doesn't can you send What Three Words, or does that also need 4g ?
I've never used used it in earnest but the code for our front door is by the land line just in case.

It's a love hate relationship I have with Google Maps. It's invaluable out on the scooter when away in the motorhome but it drives me mad. Despite me downloading the offline maps for the UK which it said would not be deleted until 2025 unless updated when I needed them yesterday on the Lizard in Cornwall they had gone. So back at base I downloaded them again. Tested them and they still wouldnt blooming work when there was no 4g signal. I then remembered that if you go into Airplane mode and then use Maps the offline maps work so I tested it in the van and yes it did. So got to some far flung part of Cornwall, went to plan a route and nope. Even in Airplane mode the offline maps do not allow you to start or plan a route. Just says no connection available. The instructions when it does work are often way too late also.

One of the main functions we use Google maps for also is finding each other. Well me generally tracking Michelle so I can pick her up after a hike or she watching where I am on the Kayak or the bike. Same thing. I can always see where I am on the map but if there is no 4g I cant see her and vice versa which doesnt make much sense really.

Any thoughts?
Barry I had the same issues with google maps, before trying TomTom Go. You try it for free for seven days, as a matter of fact I got a whole year free thanks to someone on here who put up a link. If you do have to pay it’s only £20 a year. If you have CarPlay it works great on it.

The tracking thing is really good when it works. You see a little image of the persons Google Avatar. Mines the same as the "Bingo" one on here on the left and Michelles is a Teddy bear face. If Im sat waiting on a cliff top I can see where she is along the route, tap on it and it says how far she is. It was useful earlier today as I wanted to go and look at an Aire and a few other things so I knew I had about 45 minutes from where she was. Its just a shame it dont work off line but generally after a few minutes it comes back or updates if there has been even a flash of a signal.

As for using google maps as a sat nav its ideal on the bike as its in my top pocket and the battery lasts for ever but I Tried it a couple of times in the van and its awful visually compared to my 12 year old TomTom. Which I might add is on the fritz and now way out of date. I might try the TomTom app but what I ideally need is something that does GPS tracking and a sat nav as good as the TomTom that works online and offline seamlessly.

Any thoughts?
If tracking each other's position is important on a daily basis I can recommend the Life 360 app.

I've been using this for years principally so that my daughters can keep an eye on me remotely since I travel alone.

There's an annual subscription of about £20.

It's a brilliant app.

If tracking each other's position is important on a daily basis I can recommend the Life 360 app.

I've been using this for years principally so that my daughters can keep an eye on me remotely since I travel alone.

It's a brilliant app.
That will keep you away from the towns big blondy house. 😂

It's a brilliant app.

Thanks. Will check that out. Its a shame though that Google cant fix this and I like to use "Maps" as its part of Google which is huge and constantly developed.

That will keep you away from the towns big blondy house. 😂

Thanks you two !

You've just given me a great idea for a money making scheme.

I'm going to set up a "Phone walking" company under the company name "Phalking"

We will take your phone to museums and art galleries while you go whereever you want.

Our tag line is "Phalking - you aren't where you are and you are where you aren't"

I am offering franchises in most areas for a very reasonable price.

Is your problem anything to do with your service provider I know we had to give up 3 as signal was poor here in (cornwall heavy rain later)

Is your problem anything to do with your service provider I know we had to give up 3 as signal was poor here in (cornwall heavy rain later)

Its Vodafone and its generally not too bad. The problem I think is with Google. Their offline maps functionality is iffy and there is definitely an issue with their location sharing when offline. In theory it should work. Even without a signal I can see my location on the map so the GPS part is working but it can't be seen by someone else until I or they get a signal. Maybe there is a paid for tracker app that would do it but Ive not explored that. It works 90% of the time, its just not 100% reliable. Last night on the Lizard was a prime example. Michelle didnt know where I was exactly and we could not communicate. We tend to set a rendezvous point as a just in case but we didnt last night and I just decided to ride the bike right down the path to the end but she found me eventually. :D

Barry I had the same issues with google maps, before trying TomTom Go. You try it for free for seven days, as a matter of fact I got a whole year free thanks to someone on here who put up a link. If you do have to pay it’s only £20 a year. If you have CarPlay it works great on it.
Another advantage with TomTom Go is when you pay £20 for the year you can install it on as many devices as you want, so I have it on all our phones and tablets

I'd expect GPS to work when there is no signal, but wouldn't expect the location sharing to work.

Presumably because GPS (your own GPS) is a one way street. The satellite is pinging your phone to show you where you are but it doesn't transmit back. As said though there are commercial apps that "claim" they can track offline.

Presumably because GPS (your own GPS) is a one way street. The satellite is pinging your phone to show you where you are but it doesn't transmit back. As said though there are commercial apps that "claim" they can track offline.
Yes, exactly.

Will have to do a search for those apps.

I get you can give someone a tracker, they can be offline and you can track them, but won't you have to be online to get that info?

Offline tracking probably means keep a record of where you are and then upload later when signal is available.

Yes, exactly.

Will have to do a search for those apps.

I get you can give someone a tracker, they can be offline and you can track them, but won't you have to be online to get that info?
Maybe. I don't know. There is a thread here with a few app suggestions but for real time tracking I bet the tracker has to be online.

I think I will stick with Google maps for that. It works most of the time

Back