Good value silver screen.

Phantom

Our old silver screen was looking worse for wear so we looked for a good value replacement and bought this one for £35 delivered - Click here.
It is a universal fit for van cabs, seems decent quality and fits our Sprinter well enough. The built in magnets are a great feature and allow it to be folded right down to the bonnet during the day whilst staying securely attached.

It looks ok for the money, I suppose only time will tell how good they are, but for £35 it is worth a try

Does it hook over the doors or is it just the magnets holding it in place ?

I use an extra one ( which is now getting tatty ) throughout winter on mine which is parked at the side of my house.

However, it does get mighty windy here at times and i`m not sure just magnets would hold it in place.

Does it hook over the doors or is it just the magnets holding it in place ?
However, it does get mighty windy here at times and i`m not sure just magnets would hold it in place.

It has thick elastic straps that go over the door top corners. Six strong magnets arranged two on the bottom of each side and one either side of the windscreen bottom. Also there are four hooked elastic straps, two either side which go under the mirrors and can attach to the handle side door edge. I'm quite impressed with it.
From 10pm today there are 40/50 mph winds forecast here for 17 hours so it may flap a bit. It is just a little wide on screen width for the Sprinter so I might make a slight modification for a more snug fit.

Just beware that the magnets don't drag and damage the paint work.
Thats what can happen the magnets on mine attracted metal bits which rubbed the paint before I noticed it I only had 2 magnets they where at the middle / bottom of doors I replaced them with 2" HD Velcro the solid bit also covered the door damage

Reactions: Alf
It has thick elastic straps that go over the door top corners. Six strong magnets arranged two on the bottom of each side and one either side of the windscreen bottom. Also there are four hooked elastic straps, two either side which go under the mirrors and can attach to the handle side door edge. I'm quite impressed with it.
From 10pm today there are 40/50 mph winds forecast here for 17 hours so it may flap a bit. It is just a little wide on screen width for the Sprinter so I might make a slight modification for a more snug fit.

Thanks for that, i bought one from Leisure Shop Direct and to be honest it`s bloody useless and cost more than that so i think i`ll give one of these a try.

This is only for use when at home over winter because i have a Silver Screens one that we use in anger whilst away.

Thanks, saved link as may get one on return to UK, for when van parked up.

I bought a set of second hand tailor-made covers for about £30 mutch better than universal fit , when fitted it stops window condensation so must be very thermal efficient ,

Last edited:
I bought a set of second hand tailor-made covers for about £30 mutch better than universal fit , when fitted it stops window condensation so must be very thermal efficient ,

We had Tailor made ones on the transit and they were fantastic
Perfect fit and stopped any condensation on the front windows....

I've got some second hand lesser ones on the ducato BUT will be getting some tailermade ones again as fit and performance are vastly superior...

We also use them in summer as, it keeps the cab much much cooler with the sun never getting in contact with the glass.

We had Tailor made ones on the transit and they were fantastic
Perfect fit and stopped any condensation on the front windows....

I've got some second hand lesser ones on the ducato BUT will be getting some tailermade ones again as fit and performance are vastly superior...

We also use them in summer as, it keeps the cab much much cooler with the sun never getting in contact with the glass.
Years ago I bought a new set of genuine silver screens.they were superb. I found several used ones for sale for my new pug boxer on this site ,I personally think a set of used quality screens is a better option than cheap fitts, all ? .

I bought from silversceens.co.uk as well. Made in the UK. Top quality. Fit is perfect and still as good as new. Fits perfect. Not cheap but defiantly top quality.

After having both Silver Screens & Taylor Maid I now have a set of these and they are as good as either of the others after using them for 3 yrs they have been on the van for 14 months now while off the road and still look fine

They look the same as what we have used for the last 3 years, take the magnets out, as mentioned they attract crap and scratch the paintwork, I just stick the magnets on the outside after it's fitted. Also if it's forecasts rain use your inside ones as they are a bugger to dry.

There's no condensation at all with this one.

I went mid price with 'THESE'.
Not tried yet, had them beginning of lockdown. They look well made. As the cheap ones, £35, lasted three years and had no condensation, they were worth the money. But just fancied replacing with something a bit more sturdy.

I went mid price with 'THESE'.
Not tried yet, had them beginning of lockdown. They look well made. As the cheap ones, £35, lasted three years and had no condensation, they were worth the money. But just fancied replacing with something a bit more sturdy.

It looks quite pricey for 2 square metres of foil backed bubble wrap, but at least it won't absorb any water. (y)

I bought from silversceens.co.uk as well. Made in the UK. Top quality. Fit is perfect and still as good as new. Fits perfect. Not cheap but defiantly top quality.
Have to agree, have had the same for last 3 vehicles. Perfect fit and they last. Tried a cheaper set a few years ago and the fit was inferior and they didn’t last.

I`ve bought 2 from Silver Screens over the years.

The first solid one piece screen was bought in 2005 and is still in use today but is starting to show some serious signs of wear / ageing.

The second one with the velcro edges was bought in 2010 and started showing signs of wear after approx 3 years use and is nowhere near the quality of the first.

I then bought one from Leisure Shop Direct, admittedly cheaper than Silver Screens but not too cheap, it`s bloody useless and i wish i`d never bought it.

So, for the price of it i thought i`d give one of these a try, it`s predominantly for home use but if it`s good enough i`ll buy another for when we go away.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back