Glen Etive. No Parking

Do as you please, go ahead and ignore the signs but I can assure you there’s a lot of wood to come up that road and timber wagon drivers can get a bit upset.
I’m not suggesting people should park there overnight, simply suggesting that the local authorities have done a carp job of stopping them, locals have had bad experiences with wild campers.

Just found this post, been reading the comments, there was no meaningful consultation, I do not know whats going on, I do know "they" want to bring in parking areas, see what happened on the eastside of Loch Lomond, thats is most probably what could happen in Glen Etive.

You are advertising the fact that it`s ok to park up in a Passing Place to all the knobhead staycation renters out there o_O
hence the reason these signs are going up! which part of passing place is difficult to understand eh? it is not for parking no matter the size, it is for parking thats why there are so many issues with motorhomes / campers Locals, and workers that use these roads can't use them properly Do NOT park in a passing place EVER!

Screenshot_20230808_084915.jpg

The signs mean nothing, they are the wrong shape and actually contradict themselves, a lay-by is not a passing place, a passing place should be surfaced as the road, but the Glen has had major issues with mis use by wild campers and the locals are trying to stop it.

I have a house (second home) quite nearby and believe me 2020/21 bought some real scum in, just like the NC500 some of us lot haven’t done ourselves any favours, that said there’s no reason why locals wouldn’t welcome good wild campers who behave properly, but vans parking on private property and using the hedges as a toilet while throwing rubbish in the grass really don’t deserve a second chance.
The problem is you get a hundred vans stopping in one place over time doing no harm leaving no rubbish etc, but it's the one arsehole newbie that makes a mess that they remember.

So maybe a few signs aimed at campers and motorhomes educating them might make a difference.

At one time there was no need to put extra signs up. A passing place is a passing place by description and was put there as a passing place. Why should people these day think they have a right to park there. Passing is not parking it has a different meaning look it up.

One of my favourite Glens is now littered with new No Parking signs, several of these spots are on our POI database. Some of the passing places had enough space for several parked vans without impeding traffic flow and many had space for one. Now there are brand new signs on every passing place.. must be getting on for a hundred .. I've just stayed for two nights, underneath one of the signs and no-one bothered me tho.View attachment 109681View attachment 109682
Realise I m late coming to this but couldn't t help but disagree with most of the comments. It s been about 10 years since I was down Glen Etive and I was absolutely disgusted and angry by what I found. The whole road was nose to tail camping on both sides of the track. After the weekend most campers had departed and left the most disgusting piles of rubbish everywhere. Bags of rubbish, food discarded, excrement and toilet paper, fishing line and hooks. The end carpark was a toilet! I support any closing of camping down here while people are too stupid and filthy to behave. It has put me off visiting again.

Realise I m late coming to this but couldn't t help but disagree with most of the comments. It s been about 10 years since I was down Glen Etive and I was absolutely disgusted and angry by what I found. The whole road was nose to tail camping on both sides of the track. After the weekend most campers had departed and left the most disgusting piles of rubbish everywhere. Bags of rubbish, food discarded, excrement and toilet paper, fishing line and hooks. The end carpark was a toilet! I support any closing of camping down here while people are too stupid and filthy to behave. It has put me off visiting again.
Sorry but what are you going on about. The thread was about putting up no parking signs in passing places and most agree you should never park in passing places, and there should be no need for the signs in the first place. The fact that these signs have had to be put up is dreadful. Do you disagree with that, or do you think parking in passing places is ok.
Most of the vehicles I have seen parked in passing places in glen Etive are cars, and the mess left there was primarily by people travelling from the big cities and staying in tents. Sadly although it’s a lovely part of Scotland it’s way to busy for my liking, I only pass through it now. I think you were talking about people in tents, I hope you were.

Sorry but what are you going on about. The thread was about putting up no parking signs in passing places and most agree you should never park in passing places, and there should be no need for the signs in the first place. The fact that these signs have had to be put up is dreadful. Do you disagree with that, or do you think parking in passing places is ok.
Most of the vehicles I have seen parked in passing places in glen Etive are cars, and the mess left there was primarily by people travelling from the big cities and staying in tents. Sadly although it’s a lovely part of Scotland it’s way to busy for my liking, I only pass through it now. I think you were talking about people in tents, I hope you were.
From my observations, its not one single sub section of people using the land who leave a "mess". Anyway the next bit of control has started with increase "parking areas", will restrictions on parking follow. Anyone who knows the East side of Loch Lomond over the years will understand.

From my observations, its not one single sub section of people using the land who leave a "mess".
That must be true, however, motorhome owners, in general, have onboard bins and toilets, and they have spent huge amounts to own and run them usually, so hopefully responsible and readers of forums and magazines so will be aware of the issues, & there are caravans but you don't see many caravans wild camping so that leaves campers with no toilets, some will have some form of porta potty or a simple bucket and bag, and if responsible they may dispose of their waste/rubbish properly, but you are left with day trippers and those in tents who have zero facilities, and some of those will be responsible, but look in any car park where cars hang out and it is a tip so I blame them mostly, not all of course, but it doesn't take many over a few days to make a place look like the local tip.

From my observations, its not one single sub section of people using the land who leave a "mess". Anyway the next bit of control has started with increase "parking areas", will restrictions on parking follow. Anyone who knows the East side of Loch Lomond over the years will understand.
I agree with what you are saying, but the thread was about parking in passing places, and no parking signs being erected on passing places.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back