Glad they're ok

Did you notice that the reporter in the local rag managed to spell Ducato wrong.. and the sub editor missed it too.

When we were married the officious twit-ess from the "Skyrack and Morley Times" managed to add an extra U into my surname ,misspelt the wife's first name, got the church name wrong and informed all of Skyrack and large parts of Morley that we were going on honeymoon in Morroco, instead of Majorca .

The crash pictures tell the whole truth though. No more passengers in the back for us.

Ooh, Morley. That's where I'm at these days.

I have always had a van from an ex GPO morris minor van thro' Thames 15cwt ,the old Bedford,Morris J4 a couple of VW campers (wish i had them now they cost a fortune) a couple of Nissan urvans,that I used to import from the Irish Republic
VW LT35,Landrover 110 defender (drove like a van felt like a van) Vivaro and my present vehicle an ex NATO Merc 508
ambulance .
Some were full conversions some part converted ,some were used for work with removable bits .the one thing they all had in common was I always felt safer in them than in a car ,being higher up helps, looking over the top of the traffic,but wether its a van or a coachbuilt they are not a car and have to be driven accordingly ,you corner slower you give yourself plenty of stopping space in front of you ,you must keep your speed relevant for the prevailing conditions ,but in the event of a bad shunt yep I would rather have a steel case around me,and hope the sink unit does'nt wrap itself round my neck.

It's kind of the same argument (almost) about riding a motorbike.

A coach built mh cannot by design have great structural integrity and the crash/ roll over protection that something with less internal space and made from stronger materials would have.

The key thing is that none if this matters if you don't crash it or roll it over!

And.... you minimise the chances of either - if you drive defensively, pay attention and drive it with due consideration for its size, weight and what it is.

Yes there is always the faint possibility of your mh being struck by someone else, but your own attention reduces that, and secondly if the fear of such an event is too great, then your only real option is to park it and stay indoors - you can't avoid all risks and yet live life?

Mh's accident records are good, and insurance reasonable simply as their users drive them accordingly. Crashes like this one are v rare, & like others you'd gave to ask just what led to it, & the odds are that it's driver did something stoopid?

My LDV Convoy has average brakes, and an antiquated leaf spring suspension that gives it below average road holding. Consequently I don't try to drive it like its a hot hatch - and it's fine. (Mind you it's also got a separate steel ladder chassis so would stand a big hit quite well too I suspect).

As for the boy/bunk/window thing.... Biggest issue IMO there was dad being too darn soft to make the brat behave! If he was in a belted seat and not allowed to fiddle with stuff there'd be no problems - the my certainly wasn't at fault, it was the small loose cannon misbehaving inside it!

I have always had a van from an ex GPO morris minor van thro' Thames 15cwt ,the old Bedford,Morris J4 a couple of VW campers (wish i had them now they cost a fortune) a couple of Nissan urvans,that I used to import from the Irish Republic
VW LT35,Landrover 110 defender (drove like a van felt like a van) Vivaro and my present vehicle an ex NATO Merc 508
ambulance .
Some were full conversions some part converted ,some were used for work with removable bits .the one thing they all had in common was I always felt safer in them than in a car ,being higher up helps, looking over the top of the traffic,but wether its a van or a coachbuilt they are not a car and have to be driven accordingly ,you corner slower you give yourself plenty of stopping space in front of you ,you must keep your speed relevant for the prevailing conditions ,but in the event of a bad shunt yep I would rather have a steel case around me,and hope the sink unit does'nt wrap itself round my neck.
My personal demon is a low flying rear mounted fridge. From a rear end shunt.

My first Hymer,a 1992 B544, had a steel cage in its construction in the front part of the occupied area.

I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense, i may be wrong but would imagine an A class in inherently stronger than a coachbuilt by virtue of the construction process. That said I would rather not find out.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back