Glad they're ok

I think the cab area

Looking at the state of this, I'm surprised but glad they got out unhurt, not much left intact. I wonder if its one of WC's members, anyone?

Driver's lucky escape as motorhome overturns at Flatts Lane - Gazette Live

Is Fairly robust and seatbelts etc.

As we see the habitation area totally trashed..
A useful reminder to us all DRIVE carefully and slowly.. I usually keep under 55mph even on Motorways sometimes creep up to 60/65 if VERY good conditions (Traffic, Road Surface, Wind-Not mine, visibility).

I know the road well. It is downhill to a junction onto the main Teesside to Whitby road.
It would be interesting to know the circumstances that caused the incident.

Scary to think it might have been a different story if it had any one in the back.

Mike

Anyone see the crash test footage that bailey did a few years back, kinda scary.

Good argument for van conversions. Keep changing my mind on whether to have a coach build or van conversion next but pic like that makes you think that the extra space may not be worth it.

Richard

Good argument for van conversions. Keep changing my mind on whether to have a coach build or van conversion next but pic like that makes you think that the extra space may not be worth it.

Richard

Ditto, my Swift is just over 6 metres. Some pvc's are the same length but not as wide so not a massive difference in actual floor space.
Just a shame most pvc's I've looked at are £40,000 upwards so I would have to find a substantial amount of money if I went for a new one.

That was an old design with alloy panels but the result is the same with new ones, the body is kept light for the limits to be met and result in no real structural strength at all,, refer to reliant robins, keep the weight down end up with no strength in a accident. Look on you-tube for motorhome crash tests if you want to frighten yourselves.

Richard

It just makes you more aware to not carry passengers in the back. Would have liked rear belts to carry the grandkids (wouldn't in my van anyway as lounge is right at the rear), but looking at pics like this, even with belts don't think they'd be safe, and I would never forgive myself if God forbid anything happened.

It certainly makes you think...
My previous m/h had an overcab bed and my lad used to sleep in it when travelling to Germany..... :danger:

now i know why i bought my iveco ex library bus with a stainless steel role cage instead of a flimsy.

Attachments

• tr 8.jpg
    tr 8.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 75
  • camper build 4.jpg
    camper build 4.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 84
  • van c.jpg
    van c.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 72
It certainly makes you think...
My previous m/h had an overcab bed and my lad used to sleep in it when travelling to Germany..... :danger:

On a similar note a family member hired a van like this Carioca_656.jpg to go to France in.

He allowed his young son to travel in the overcab luton because he was creating one hell of a fuss so it shut him up.

Whist travelling at 70 MPH down the motorway there was one almighty bang and a huge gush of wind and noise.

It turned out his son had opened the window on the front of the luton for some fresh air :scared:

It ripped the window and frame clean out and how the hell he didn`t get sucked out no one knows.

I know looks like an old remold the tread has gone you can see the edges of whats left of the tread.

Mike

That was an old design with alloy panels but the result is the same with new ones, the body is kept light for the limits to be met and result in no real structural strength at all,, refer to reliant robins, keep the weight down end up with no strength in a accident. Look on you-tube for motorhome crash tests if you want to frighten yourselves.

This doesn't seem too bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opR8f_-Pp8o, not sure if my 1988 Hymer would survive so well, but I tend to drive slowly and give myself plenty of room to the vehicle in front.

Typical !

Did you notice that the reporter in the local rag managed to spell Ducato wrong.. and the sub editor missed it too.

When we were married the officious twit-ess from the "Skyrack and Morley Times" managed to add an extra U into my surname ,misspelt the wife's first name, got the church name wrong and informed all of Skyrack and large parts of Morley that we were going on honeymoon in Morroco, instead of Majorca .

The crash pictures tell the whole truth though. No more passengers in the back for us.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back