Garmin Question

Mine insists on showing a lower speed limit for my 3.5T van as required for 7.5T vans but only on some roads. For example 50 in a 60 limit.
Some height limits which Garmin avoids may only apply over half the road width like at the sides of arched bridges, or where rocks overhang a short section of only one side of the road.
But for example on an A road the speed limit for a 3.5t vehicle IS 50mph just like the 7.5t van

Attachments

• IMG_0740.png
    IMG_0740.png
    1 MB · Views: 14
But for example on an A road the speed limit for a 3.5t vehicle IS 50mph just like the 7.5t van
You're quite right, the relevant weight is 3.05 tonnes.
However I have to agree with Barge 1914 that the Garmin gives incorrect speed limits. On my Garmin Camper 770 it has always annoyed me that once you select "Motorhome" it lets you enter the dimensions including weight, but whatever weight you enter it assumes you are driving a behemoth. Perhaps its the US origins that are to blame, assuming that a motorhome is always going to have the dimensions of an RV.
I have the weight correctly entered as 2.8 tonnes, but the speed limits shown are 50mph on single carriageways, 60 mph on dual carriageways and 70 mph on motorways. No amount of tweaking the setup changes this. It is an infuriating fault on what is a rather expensive satnav, however I live in hope that they will fix the issue in one of their software updates........

You're quite right, the relevant weight is 3.05 tonnes.
However I have to agree with Barge 1914 that the Garmin gives incorrect speed limits. On my Garmin Camper 770 it has always annoyed me that once you select "Motorhome" it lets you enter the dimensions including weight, but whatever weight you enter it assumes you are driving a behemoth. Perhaps its the US origins that are to blame, assuming that a motorhome is always going to have the dimensions of an RV.
I have the weight correctly entered as 2.8 tonnes, but the speed limits shown are 50mph on single carriageways, 60 mph on dual carriageways and 70 mph on motorways. No amount of tweaking the setup changes this. It is an infuriating fault on what is a rather expensive satnav, however I live in hope that they will fix the issue in one of their software updates........
Have you taken this up with Garmin Support UK? 0808 238 0000

Never found a need for it but my TomTom app allows you to input vehicle type and dimensions.
Fundmental question is, if you put the information in, what does it do with it? As other posts show, either nothing or goes over the top. Fundamentally depending on (a) how good is the source data from agencies specifying restrictions on road segments used by GPS and (b) how much effort SatNav providers will put into applying the data, with different rules in each country. Hence I now use the 'car' option on my Garmin Camper 660 and read road signs unless it's a particularly complex area. e.g. in Motorhome mode it will only avoid narrow roads IF there is a signed width restriction, usually to deter anything wider than a delivery van. But other narrow roads can still be permitted for wide vehicles, so it can be fun meeting a tractor with attachments (though their drivers are usually adept at getting into the hedgerow)!

Last edited:
Fundmental question is, if you put the information in, what does it do with it? As other posts show, either nothing or goes over the top. Fundamentally depending on (a) how good is the source data from agencies specifying restrictions on road segments used by GPS and (b) how much effort SatNav providers will put into applying the data, with different rules in each country. Hence I now use the 'car' option on my Garmin Camper 660 and read road signs unless it's a particularly complex area. e.g. in Motorhome mode it will only avoid narrow roads IF there is a signed width restriction, usually to deter anything wider than a delivery van. But other narrow roads can still be permitted for wide vehicles, so it can be fun meeting a tractor with attachments (though their drivers are usually adept at getting into the hedgerow)!
Simple fact is I have no idea, my career (until very recently) was spent mainly on the road in various vehicles from Vans to Artics, back in the day (old git alert) we used to get to a back street in Casablanca, Sofia, Madrid etc with a 40ft trailer without a satellite to help out, therefore I don’t rely on tomtom too much.

If I’m going somewhere new I tend to look it up on google then simply either commit the last leg from the motorway exit to mind or if it’s complicated sketch out a stalks plan on paper and stick it on the dash.

The best thing with Sat Nav for me is I no longer have loads of street maps clogging up the cab and if traffic demands a detour I have a live map on the dash.

Back