Garmin Question

Penny13

Garmin Questions do they let you put vehicle dimensions in ? Not necessarily the lorry or motorhome one !
Thank you

The only time any sat nav, no matter how smart or expensive, can be set up to avoid narrow roads or low bridges, is if the mapping contained in them (which is not made by the sat nav manufacturer) shows narrow roads and low bridges.
You can input whatever widths, instructions and filters you wish, if it's not on the mapping the sat nav cannot calculate a route to avoid/include those features.

The Garmin Camper sat NAVs do let you enter vehicle dimensions. Basically the LMT range either 760, 770 or 780 for example.

It still occasionally routes us down some lanes that I clearly would not consider going down (famously around Symonds Yat!) so either I have used the wrong settings or Garmin believe my motorhome shrinks in the British weather.

As always with sat NAVs use a bit of common sense and don’t always turn right or left.

My experience is that if you input the vehicle dimensions the Garmin Camper will warn you about low bridges, but as far as the width is concerned it will only warn where there is an official width limit assigned to the road. As has already been said, narrow country roads are not taken into account.

My experience is that if you input the vehicle dimensions the Garmin Camper will warn you about low bridges, but as far as the width is concerned it will only warn where there is an official width limit assigned to the road. As has already been said, narrow country roads are not taken into account.
Correct...

Yet again this is where France and Spain win motorhome wise relative to the U.K. as these countries acknowledge that motorhomes exist and there are far more road width limit and weight limit signs than in the U.K.

Garmin is less likely to mess up in France and Spain and being over cautious in France and Spain sometimes takes you on massive detours that actually are not necessary.

My experience anyway.

As an aside the 3.5T weight limit signs in France are there as an aid for motorhome users but are advisory only and are not legally enforceable if you pass one in your overweight motorhome. But Garmin do factor these signs in to your route calculation.

An issue of course is where do you stand U.K. insurance wise if you pass one of these weight limit signs in your HGV motorhome and subsequently write your motorhome off!

Last edited:
<snip>

As an aside the 3.5T weight limit signs in France are there as an aid for motorhome users but are advisory only and are not legally enforceable if you pass one in your overweight motorhome. <snip>
That is certainly not my understanding (and probably not the understanding of the gendarmerie and various police forces in France). On what do you base your statement?

One issue I have with my Garmin(s) is within France where the mapping info and their bridge heights and weight limits seem to be nonexistent. As said above, keep your wits about you where you turn

Mine insists on showing a lower speed limit for my 3.5T van as required for 7.5T vans but only on some roads. For example 50 in a 60 limit.
Some height limits which Garmin avoids may only apply over half the road width like at the sides of arched bridges, or where rocks overhang a short section of only one side of the road.

That is certainly not my understanding (and probably not the understanding of the gendarmerie and various police forces in France). On what do you base your statement?
As an aside the 3.5T weight limit signs in France are there as an aid for motorhome users but are advisory only and are not legally enforceable if you pass one in your overweight motorhome. But Garmin do factor these signs in to your route calculation.
My mistake the 3.5T signs are enforceable.

It is signs banning motorhomes from entering a road that are unenforceable as the French quote the equality legislation if stopped. That is you let cars and lorries pass but not motorhomes? :-

My mistake the 3.5T signs are enforceable.

It is signs banning motorhomes from entering a road that are unenforceable as the French quote the equality legislation if stopped. That is you let cars and lorries pass but not motorhomes? :-

Useful link, but now a bit dated, particularly with regard to the 80/90 limit.

Garmin is less likely to mess up in France and Spain and being over cautious in France and Spain sometimes takes you on massive detours that actually are not necessary.
Except on the great occasion our Garmin was instructing us to turn the wrong way into a dual carriageway!!! As others say...common sense helps :oops:

The only time any sat nav, no matter how smart or expensive, can be set up to avoid narrow roads or low bridges, is if the mapping contained in them (which is not made by the sat nav manufacturer) shows narrow roads and low bridges.
You can input whatever widths, instructions and filters you wish, if it's not on the mapping the sat nav cannot calculate a route to avoid/include those features.
My saf nav nof garmin allow you fo put MH dimensions in but takes no notice for about reason

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back