Full timing in this new lockdown

It is permitted to move house......??

Yes. But good luck to anyone who is in the throes of the the whole house selling thing, think you will need a little patience.

My sister has just sold her last rental property to the family of an elderly lady who moved up north at the beginning of the last lockdown.
Family had initially rented it so she could live near to them.

They have now decided to purchase it for her, decision made quite a few weeks back.

As of now sister reckons it's going to take at least 3 months before they are anywhere near a completion date, and that's with very good efficient solicitors she has used for years.

You may be able to start the process of buying or selling a house at the minute, but it's taking a helluva lot longer to get to the point of actually being able to move in/out.

Yes. But good luck to anyone who is in the throes of the the whole house selling thing, think you will need a little patience.

My sister has just sold her last rental property to the family of an elderly lady who moved up north at the beginning of the last lockdown.
Family had initially rented it so she could live near to them.

They have now decided to purchase it for her, decision made quite a few weeks back.

As of now sister reckons it's going to take at least 3 months before they are anywhere near a completion date, and that's with very good efficient solicitors she has used for years.

You may be able to start the process of buying or selling a house at the minute, but it's taking a helluva lot longer to get to the point of actually being able to move in/out.

It's a nightmare Marie.

My daughter sold her house in February and she has only just exchanged contracts. The buyer also bought all of her furniture so they can't use it. They are living with us now, Sarah, her husband Neil and our 2 grandchildren, Sophie and Harry. They will be here 2 years saving like mad before they go back into the housing market with hopefully a small mortgage. We are building an annexe for Sarah and Neil and the kids already have bedrooms here.

Still, at least young Harry made dinner tonight!

Considering you are not allowed to park up to overnight and sleep in van in england you are probably asking to be moved on - probably less chance of getting moved on if you slept under the arches with a couple of cardboard boxes as a home - i know we all sleep in van when travelling ( parking anywhere we can get away with it ) on trips but it is still not allowed and you could get moved on anytime

Considering you are not allowed to park up to overnight and sleep in van in england you are probably asking to be moved on - probably less chance of getting moved on if you slept under the arches with a couple of cardboard boxes as a home - i know we all sleep in van when travelling ( parking anywhere we can get away with it ) on trips but it is still not allowed and you could get moved on anytime
That's not quite what the law states. In England, under planning regulations, landowners may not permit their land to be used as caravan sites unless licenced or certified. However, the law doesn't (AIUI) make any demands on caravanners (whether in trailers or self-propelled). So you can lawfully wild camp until required to leave. That said, we probably have a conflict right now since various police forces seem to interpret the lockdown rules to mean that you can't travel except for specific reasons and seem to be applying that to full timers in the same way that they apply it to those who live in 'bricks and sticks'; even though full timers are not leaving their home when travelling. The planning regulations are a civil matter, while the police's interpretation of the lockdown rules is a criminal matter (AFAICT) and thus the police can move you on (and you would then be travelling to meet a legal obligation, which the rules permit) but landowners are possibly stuck and would have to take the matter to court since you're not allowed to obey their demands against police diktat.

That's not quite what the law states. In England, under planning regulations, landowners may not permit their land to be used as caravan sites unless licenced or certified. However, the law doesn't (AIUI) make any demands on caravanners (whether in trailers or self-propelled). So you can lawfully wild camp until required to leave. That said, we probably have a conflict right now since various police forces seem to interpret the lockdown rules to mean that you can't travel except for specific reasons and seem to be applying that to full timers in the same way that they apply it to those who live in 'bricks and sticks'; even though full timers are not leaving their home when travelling. The planning regulations are a civil matter, while the police's interpretation of the lockdown rules is a criminal matter (AFAICT) and thus the police can move you on (and you would then be travelling to meet a legal obligation, which the rules permit) but landowners are possibly stuck and would have to take the matter to court since you're not allowed to obey their demands against police diktat.

I think the covid situation makes a difference and as a full timer you could challenge any of that just now?

After all there have been calls again this time round to support housing the homeless for the duration of the lockdown.

So I think it likely that permits and planning regs concerning caravans etc. would be temporarily overlooked, again at least for the duration of any lockdowns.

Certainly worth challenging legally if the local law/council/nimbies get awkward about someone holed up on land that is not licensed, but have the permission of the landowners?

I think the covid situation makes a difference and as a full timer you could challenge any of that just now?

After all there have been calls again this time round to support housing the homeless for the duration of the lockdown.

So I think it likely that permits and planning regs concerning caravans etc. would be temporarily overlooked, again at least for the duration of any lockdowns.

Certainly worth challenging legally if the local law/council/nimbies get awkward about someone holed up on land that is not licensed, but have the permission of the landowners?
The situation should make a difference if (as I suspect) there is a moratorium currently on evictions and court hearings intended to procure such. Being moved on from an unauthorised campsite is essentially an eviction AFAICT and the only way you can be moved on is with police and/or court intervention. So, while a landlord may not give permission and is legally obliged to seek eviction, action would be moderated by any stay of evictions the government have imposed. (hopefully)

bit of a job finding a campsite open they were all ordered to close in the full lockdown, luckily we were already on a CL so were allowed to stay, that one has now been sold and looks like it will be lost, so we had to find another but we are back one that we were on many years ago and looks like we'll be here for a while.

Maybe the answer for some could be to do some odd jobs on a farm then you would get away with the parking - police are giving fines out now to all - and they certainly need to get income somehow - whatever anyone does now is risking a fine

Maybe the answer for some could be to do some odd jobs on a farm then you would get away with the parking - police are giving fines out now to all - and they certainly need to get income somehow - whatever anyone does now is risking a fine

I beg to disagree, I think you can 'get away' with the parking, although I don't really like that term being used in the context of full timing, tbh,

We're living with covid now and the rules are definitely not the same as before it arrived.

If you are a full timer and have no bricks and mortar to 'return to', I doubt any police force would get away with forcing someone to move their (only!) home on when they're already amicably settled in a safe location, especially if they're parked up with the agreement of the land/property owner.

And in this instance, police 'income' is irrelevant when you're trying to keep (all) people safe.

Last edited:
There has been a guidance email to all councils regarding campsites, holiday parks etc which basically says that holiday site licence rules can be suspended if the person staying has reason to need to stay. The campsite or the person needing space can contact the council and they will officially give permission.
Don't think all sites actually got this letter, with usual efficiency....we had a family send it to the holiday park where we have a place, to help us let them stay.

Attachments

• Letter_from_Kelly_Tolhurst_MP_to_Caravan_Site_Owners_and_Managers__cc_local_leaders_.pdf
    163.2 KB · Views: 222

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back