Full Timing in Static Caravan plus Motorhome - Advice Needed Please ?

That's good information to know and also is reducing freedom and sad to hear about people becoming homeless as a result.
Are you saying then, that any static home on a site cannot be a permanent residence ? i.e you would need another home as well that is council tax banded and so on. That would be unfeasible for me as simply don't have access to that sort of money.
Only on sites registered as holiday sites with a shutdown period. Our site defines a permanent residence as not a rental, and the units all count as second homes. Many sites don't insist on proof of a permanent address but it is a risk. I do know some people who get away with it but it is a "holiday" licence and council's are doing more checks now. Also the fees for holiday sites are often high £3-5000 annually, there are also a few very shady unscrupulous site owners. Not protected in the same way as static sites with a residential licence as come under different legislation. We pay annual fees which include a percentage of the council business tax for the site. There is a small site down the road which is supposed to be a holiday site but the council made an error with the planning and apparently the result is people stay full-time. The units sell for upwards of £200000 .......there is now a minimum of six weeks shutdown period allowed in Suffolk for holiday sites.

Whilst There have tp be contro;s/legislation..

It seems to me incredible that some authorities are going out of their way to make some people homeless !
Not as simple as that but ????

Bristol has/had a significant motorhome community and the council actually privided facilities (in lock down)
I read it on rhis site ?

Can our Bristol correspondent provide the latest ?

The councils would counter that holiday caravans are slum housing, but the main objection is they don't receive council tax.

The last holiday static caravan I had (for 10 years) quite a few used to live in Spain and Portugal during the winter, some rented bedsit rooms over winter.

One of the strictly dancers parents have just gone back to Spain.

Could have posted this in general chat but thought the thread may get some more attention here.
I am likely going to have to move out of where I live next Summer / Autumn 2021

I am thinking of possibly buying land, or possibly staying in a mobile home or static caravan on a park
My area of interest is North Wales as a base

Does anyone know of any space for Van parking or where I could maybe purchase a static with space to park also my van.
I am looking for somewhere close to the Coast?

Any help or advice appreciated, TIA (y)

You really are better off buying a really cheap property in North Wales.

Reactions: RAW
It seems to me incredible that some authorities are going out of their way to make some people homeless !
Not as simple as that but ????
They are going out of their way to prevent abuse of planning law, avoiding paying council tax and the undermining of legal protection of tenants.

@harrow they do pay council tax in a holiday home but it is business tax not residential
and a percentage Included in the site fees. If a holiday site allows people to rent out their unit, the council charge more tax. All based on profit made by site. I think the planning is the issue which allows that the standard of units is permitted to be lower for "temporary, holiday accommodation "

@harrow they do pay council tax in a holiday home but it is business tax not residential
and a percentage Included in the site fees. If a holiday site allows people to rent out their unit, the council charge more tax. All based on profit made by site. I think the planning is the issue which allows that the standard of units is permitted to be lower for "temporary, holiday accommodation "

Correct it is the business rates tax as part of the pitch fee, water bill etc, etc and then VAT added to the bill :) well it was on the last static caravan I had for 10 years.

Last edited:
You really are better off buying a really cheap property in North Wales.
There's not much that will fall within my meagre budget sadly, my life was financially fubared in 2008 and now at 53, without a large miracle, there is little chance of recovery :cry:

My brother in law had similar financial issues and ended up buying a house in Barnsley as prices were so much cheaper....£70000 for terrace, but doesn't give you vehicle space. Really need a long term rent of a bit of land from a farmer but should think that's not easy.

• Thank You
Wow , that property certainly is cheap as chips , I'd love to buy it and live in it but across the water in Southern Ireland is too far , however beautiful it is
South Ireland, Eire, you need hereditary rights in order to get residency, unfortunately looked into this and neither myself or my partner can and although I like Ireland - I do not particularly like the Weather there it does not suit my temperament. Whereas
Holyhead.jpg

Video is private, if it's yours then needs to be unlisted or Public for someone with a link to view it or you have to give access by email or User

No sorry someone else owns the video and it has been withdrawn :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back