Full Timing in Static Caravan plus Motorhome - Advice Needed Please ?

If it's classed as a 'concealed development' i.e. built to look like a shed, then no the four year rule doesn't apply AFAIK
That reminds of the famous (or rather infamous) case of the guy who built a massive house, hidden by straw bales in his attempt to circumvent the planning regs.

i live in a park home the laws changed massively in 2013 giving home owners rights and security there was legislation that the park owner could request a fee of UP to 10% when a property was sold that is always a fixed fee of 10% now , the problem with the O Ps idea is that you fall foul of the gas regs ie no lpg structure within 6 mts of another there are exceptions but basically it stops any caravan or motor caravan being sited adjacent to another, the same rule used by the big 2 for sites

We live in our motorhome full-time and are on a seasonal pitch on a site in North Wales because of Covid. You pay for the year but then the pitch is yours for that length of time. We are the only motorhome here. Its very quiet but you can only stay for 28 nights at a time. Not a problem for us as we toddle off for a night or 2 one a month. It's called Lleweni Parc. There might be a spare space at the moment but I am not sure
Thanks for that, very useful

My partner before meeting me got herself into big financial problems. Her solution was to build a shed (same footprint as a static) on her mother's land and live in it. It got electric, water. Waste water to septic tank. It's been up 4 years plus. It's visible from the road. From what you say it looks like the council have missed the chance to impose any type of enforcement. Happy days if correct.
Think it must look like a home.

That reminds of the famous (or rather infamous) case of the guy who built a massive house, hidden by straw bales in his attempt to circumvent the planning regs.

Think it was pulled down a few years back.

You can site a ”caravan” ( look up the legal definition, it can be huge) within the boundaries of your property for the betterment of your lifestyle.
That should not include overnight sleeping etc but......you will only get a visit if someone complains. The council then have to prove you are in permanent residence. That requires full time observation etc. When I enquired a very kind lady from planning told me they only have 2 operatives for the whole of the county.

We have a holiday home on a site which is divided into 55 freehold plots (pretty unique) and each unit owns a share of the entire 68acre site (lake woodland and meadows) The site is run by a committee made up of members. But we strictly enforce the rule that owners must have a main residence and produce a council tax bill to prove this. The council's are getting very canny about people not having a main UK residence and will revoke the site license and fine the owners. This happened recently to a holiday site down the road where they had been lax on checks and people had sold main home to live there......also think the owners had said it was fine to do this! Caused several people to be made homeless. We can park our motorhome on our plot but not sleep in it as the fire regs and licence don't allow it.

The council's are getting very canny about people not having a main UK residence and will revoke the site license and fine the owners. This happened recently to a holiday site down the road where they had been lax on checks and people had sold main home to live there......also think the owners had said it was fine to do this! Caused several people to be made homeless.
That's good information to know and also is reducing freedom and sad to hear about people becoming homeless as a result.
Are you saying then, that any static home on a site cannot be a permanent residence ? i.e you would need another home as well that is council tax banded and so on. That would be unfeasible for me as simply don't have access to that sort of money.

That's good information to know and also is reducing freedom and sad to hear about people becoming homeless as a result.
Are you saying then, that any static home on a site cannot be a permanent residence ? i.e you would need another home as well that is council tax banded and so on. That would be unfeasible for me as simply don't have access to that sort of money.
It is possible to register as a traveller. At an address with which you have a connection even if you do not live there now. In your case maybe where you are now. This will satisfy electoral roll requirements BUT NOT council tax.
All tricky for you !
Suggest you find out what law-abiding travellers do.

I suppose you don't have to actually own your main home - renting a bedsit will do so long as you pay your own council tax?

?? What do you mean ?>

They love being on TV doing nightmare landlords, slum landlords, houses of multiple occupation they are a bunch of hypocrites, bullying home owners, but the council just waste money on vanity projects. :( Its like they have money to burn. :mad:

A lot of holiday caravan sites say they close for 2 weeks a year but the councils are annoyed that they don't pay council tax.

Its like with my council, I have to pay them currently £200 every month and the council just spends money like water. :mad::mad::mad:

You can site a ”caravan” ( look up the legal definition, it can be huge) within the boundaries of your property for the betterment of your lifestyle.
That should not include overnight sleeping etc but......you will only get a visit if someone complains. The council then have to prove you are in permanent residence. That requires full time observation etc. When I enquired a very kind lady from planning told me they only have 2 operatives for the whole of the county.
That's actually back to front ...... you can normally site a caravan (meeting the legal definition) within the curtilage of a house without needing planning permission, provided that the use of the caravan is incidental to the use of the main house. So using a caravan as an extra bedroom or living space by family members or carers is fine, you can't use it as separate, independent accommodation without planning permission. As to getting a visit, that would really depend on whether neighbours complained.

Around here they use streetview and satellite pictures to prove their case and beds in sheds they use thermal cameras.

A mate of mine with a double garage and toilet has a visit from the council every 6 months

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back