Full Timing in Static Caravan plus Motorhome - Advice Needed Please ?

hi. if you buy a static on a holiday site they will want a letter to prove you are paying council tax on a house.

If you cant supply this then The Council will get you for Council Tax on the Static Caravan.

Reactions: RAW
I know a guy that owns a small park in Towyn, right next to the coast down the end of Sandbank lane 2.5k per year rent.. I have a static there and he lets me park my 7.5 m van when I need to,What size is your van OP ?

I dont have my van there all the time but pop down sometimes with it for a few nights. \tight squeeze getting in 7.5m (ish) but there are a coupe of statics down one side with a large parking area. Im seeing him tomorrow and Ill PM you here if he has naything coming up.

With the covid Statics are hard to get atm, but Im sure the guy at number 21 is selling up.
MWB Sprinter 2000 year is Van maybe 7 metres and narrow'ish.
Just looked on maps and that is a good location for us
If you could have a chat with your friend would be great. MANY THANKS :)

Just "Google mapped Towyn beach"

OMG how many caravan sites there ?
Obviously better to try one where you get a contact.
But drive round and ask !.
How much income do they get "Off Season" ?

Also a few C&CC Certified sites nearby. One on a farm near St Asaph.
Reading reports seems a couple of permanent units there...
There will be others !

Planning permission for what? The caravan you sure as they are temporary structures.Although I think You will need to get planning if you intend to connect it up with all services i/e sewage Electric water etc.

A caravan to sleep in needs planning permission, I tried at home and the council refused and said they would never agree it. :(

Let's face it if you are brazen enough you buy the land and live on it claiming your traveller heritage!
In a lot of cases it will work especially as so few councils have done the correct travelling community need assessments.

Planning permission for what? The caravan you sure as they are temporary structures.Although I think You will need to get planning if you intend to connect it up with all services i/e sewage Electric water etc.
Yeah if living in it or dossing in youll need PP, temp or not

Last edited:
MWB Sprinter 2000 year is Van maybe 7 metres and narrow'ish.
Just looked on maps and that is a good location for us
If you could have a chat with your friend would be great. MANY THANKS :)
Spoke to him today, no good Im afraid the fellah isnt seling.
As for council tax we dont have to prove that here, nor do you most places as they are 8 or 10 month sites you dont need too, only for all year round ones.
He charges about the same units cost as my leccy and gas at home, the water is metered,
you dont have to have repairs done through them
and I get my own insurance through abergele insurance.
the fees are 2.5 k per year
but yes, when you sell he wants 10%
good thing is he doesnt have an age limit on how old your van is...these reasons are why getting a van on here is very sought after.
He said hed let me know as sonn as one comes up there are about 50 plots here and a belting little club.

there are a 2 lads here that have long wheel base transits, they arent a problem

Spoke to him today, no good Im afraid the fellah isnt seling.
As for council tax we dont have to prove that here, nor do you most places as they are 8 or 10 month sites you dont need too, only for all year round ones.
He charges about the same units cost as my leccy and gas at home, the water is metered,
you dont have to have repairs done through them
and I get my own insurance through abergele insurance.
the fees are 2.5 k per year
but yes, when you sell he wants 10%
good thing is he doesnt have an age limit on how old your van is...these reasons are why getting a van on here is very sought after.
He said hed let me know as sonn as one comes up there are about 50 plots here and a belting little club.

there are a 2 lads here that have long wheel base transits, they arent a problem
Andy @Sandy lane ? I used to deal with most of the sites in Towyn and Abergele, most are far more dictatorial than your arrangement without naming names. For a seasonal pitch with a tourer it might be worth the op speaking with Henley’s.

Andy @Sandy lane ? I used to deal with most of the sites in Towyn and Abergele, most are far more dictatorial than your arrangement without naming names. For a seasonal pitch with a tourer it might be worth the op speaking with Henley’s.

The last site where we had a static caravan, one of the owners died and left their caravan in his will, but the site manager wanted £8000 for the caravan to stay on the site.

I dont know an Andy mate,
Oh yeah, Edwards and the like run a tight ship, but there are some smaller more flexible ones. You cant blame them, we all have to make money but ome are taking the p**. £400 disconnection fee, i mean cmon. One I looked at in LLandullas, wont allow your van on unless it is brand new and has to be moved off after 4 years.

Yeah Henleys are a good shout, there are also options for speaking to Abbeyfords, (just been taken over) they have some FT going on I hear.
the issue atm is the vans, they are hard to come by, people doing staycations now and the manufacturer all but stopped by Willerby etc when covid hit. Like rocking hosre £$%^ apparently, and all the old dirt cheap ones have been shipped out to poland.
Its a good site this one, Im sat in it now.....but soon as one comes up its gone within days.

Andy and his wife run sandbanks , seems a decent sort, a few years ago we rented a shop of him at the side of the club she runs the hairdressers. Better still within stumbling distance of sandbank bakery always good for a sandwich at lunchtime.

We only kept the shop for a season did far more business at the weekend on tir Prince market, we fitted manly double glazing and central heating, re cladding etc hence visited most of the sites in that neck of the woods. Lots of sites to go at But mixed responses despite having the necessary insurances NCC membership and ISO accreditation.

albeit no longer part of the business I am good friends with the owner and still doing loads in the area

Re vans exported to Poland in a previous life to my time in Towyn I worked for a major tour operator in France and end of life vans we exported to Poland , 2012 we could have sold 3 vans to every one we did sell. A lot ended up on sites in France for such as pol camp and e camp who directly market to the polish tourist market.

The current demand does seem to be driving site owners a bit more strict , re disconnection charges 400 imo is reasonably cheap, it gets eye watering when they start mentioning cranes lol

Good to reminisce

but there are some smaller more flexible ones. You cant blame them, we all have to make money but ome are taking the p**. £400 disconnection fee, i mean cmon.

I had to pay £250 for my static caravan to go off site, but the biggest risk is statics being moved off and new park homes going on the site, that happened to me in Essex. :(

Andy and his wife run sandbanks , seems a decent sort, a few years ago we rented a shop of him at the side of the club she runs the hairdressers. Better still within stumbling distance of sandbank bakery always good for a sandwich at lunchtime.

We only kept the shop for a season did far more business at the weekend on tir Prince market, we fitted manly double glazing and central heating, re cladding etc hence visited most of the sites in that neck of the woods. Lots of sites to go at But mixed responses despite having the necessary insurances NCC membership and ISO accreditation.

albeit no longer part of the business I am good friends with the owner and still doing loads in the area

Re vans exported to Poland in a previous life to my time in Towyn I worked for a major tour operator in France and end of life vans we exported to Poland , 2012 we could have sold 3 vans to every one we did sell. A lot ended up on sites in France for such as pol camp and e camp who directly market to the polish tourist market.

The current demand does seem to be driving site owners a bit more strict , re disconnection charges 400 imo is reasonably cheap, it gets eye watering when they start mentioning cranes lol

Good to reminisce
Yeah, good to hear you talk tbh, I have spent a lot of time here over the years and got some good friends.
The club at Sandy Bay hasnt open at all this year, nether has stones next to our site, but it is chocca with folk doing staycations, Im glad to see most businesses at last starting to take "tourists" money even though the Welsh hate the English :rolleyes: ;)

What requirements do you need to live or buy property in the South?
If your gran perents were irish before 1912,or i could spray you green and fit you with a silly hat.any one can buy here,just some homes come with a clause of locals only,many are bought as holl homes,does not say you cannot have a holiday 12 mths a year.
lep.png

last time i checked the rules for a static in the garden without planing permission , it could be used as extra rooms for the occupants of the house , but meals should be cooked in house and house toilet should be used.

bit of land without a house its more complex. without planning youre allowed a mobile structure and can sleep in it for a limited number of nights. last time i checked the mobile structure had to be capable of being moved on a max of 2 lorries but could be some ridiculous large size .

thats the rules....in practice in this neck of the woods unless someone complains to the council your unlikely to get bothered. i ve been told that if you do get a letter from council youve got 60 days to reply, on day 59 you write asking them to clarify one point you didnt understand in their letter, they then have to respond and you get another 60 days to respond to that letter....etc.

weve had a static by the workshop for some years , its plumbed in and connected to electric.... nobody has ever enquired as to what its used for...even when council planning officers were driving past to a house being built next door.

we actually legally split the plot into 2 , i own one half , wife owns the other...if council did require the static to be moved off site we would move it onto the other half and start over again...but it aint happened yet

the system is actually pretty powerless if your prepared to read the rules., do some lateral thinking and assume anything is allowed unless its specifically banned. and dont beleive a council official who says you cant unless they can give a link to the specific legistlation.

i was toying with the idea of using a 40 foot artic trailer and dolly as the mobile base and building out to 12 or 14 foot wide. but it aint going to happen now.

last time i checked the rules for a static in the garden without planing permission , it could be used as extra rooms for the occupants of the house , but meals should be cooked in house and house toilet should be used.

bit of land without a house its more complex. without planning youre allowed a mobile structure and can sleep in it for a limited number of nights. last time i checked the mobile structure had to be capable of being moved on a max of 2 lorries but could be some ridiculous large size .

thats the rules....in practice in this neck of the woods unless someone complains to the council your unlikely to get bothered. i ve been told that if you do get a letter from council youve got 60 days to reply, on day 59 you write asking them to clarify one point you didnt understand in their letter, they then have to respond and you get another 60 days to respond to that letter....etc.

weve had a static by the workshop for some years , its plumbed in and connected to electric.... nobody has ever enquired as to what its used for...even when council planning officers were driving past to a house being built next door.

we actually legally split the plot into 2 , i own one half , wife owns the other...if council did require the static to be moved off site we would move it onto the other half and start over again...but it aint happened yet

the system is actually pretty powerless if your prepared to read the rules., do some lateral thinking and assume anything is allowed unless its specifically banned. and dont beleive a council official who says you cant unless they can give a link to the specific legistlation.

i was toying with the idea of using a 40 foot artic trailer and dolly as the mobile base and building out to 12 or 14 foot wide. but it aint going to happen now.

Yes you can't use the caravan to live in it, without planning permission.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back