Fuel economy has dropped from over 20mpg down to 14mpg

V1nny

I recently took our Motorhome out for the first time in almost 18 months, apart from a couple of trips to the garage for mot, servicing, and some routine repairs.

We drove from Scotland down to Bury and back, and my fuel costs were much higher than normal. This is a trip we would normally do a few times a year and we usually average 20+mpg, but this time it was down to about 14mpg.

We have a 2006 Burstner Argos 747, so it has the aerodynamics of a 5 ton house brick, but It’s serviced every year and it’s running perfectly. I’ve become resigned to low fuel economy at about 20mpg, but at 14mpg the cost of diesel really hurts the wallet. I’m not mechanically minded, but has anyone any ideas what might be causing such an increase in fuel consumption?

Check your air filter has not been blocked by a mice nest or even birds nest seen a van the other day on facebook with a birds nest with eggs in it under the bonnet. Also check non of your wheels are getting hot brakes binding after being laid up for so long.

Mike
Thanks. I will check it. There were signs of mice in the van after winter. We store it on a farm when we aren’t using it.

Are you sure your .loss of mpg are not down pushing headwinds , re check after a few more trips before hitting the bank card .

Are you sure your .loss of mpg are not down pushing headwinds , re check after a few more trips before hitting the bank card .
I don't think so because we have made the trip so many times in the past, in all weathers and different times of the year, and the difference this time was massive

Have you been using a diesel night heater, ours went from low 20's to 13 or so
I guess it's the 3ltr engine?..
If you get black smoke when putting foot down hard and it takes a bit to clear it could be a stuck egr valve, drive it at high revs ,slow speed ( if you get my meaning)for 10 min it might unstick it.

I recently took our Motorhome out for the first time in almost 18 months, apart from a couple of trips to the garage for mot, servicing, and some routine repairs.

We drove from Scotland down to Bury and back, and my fuel costs were much higher than normal. This is a trip we would normally do a few times a year and we usually average 20+mpg, but this time it was down to about 14mpg.

We have a 2006 Burstner Argos 747, so it has the aerodynamics of a 5 ton house brick, but It’s serviced every year and it’s running perfectly. I’ve become resigned to low fuel economy at about 20mpg, but at 14mpg the cost of diesel really hurts the wallet. I’m not mechanically minded, but has anyone any ideas what might be causing such an increase in fuel consumption?
You seem to have been getting poor mpg for a long time, I would have it checked by someone who knows his way around diesels ..... unless you have a heavy right foot. :(

I had the same van as you for 5 years. I got around 22 mpg which could stretch to 24 if a lot of the journey was motorways. The 2.8 jtd is a dependable lump and if you keep between the 2,000 - 3,000 rpm range for best economy you should get what I got.

What top end speed are you doing on motorways and dual carriageways? You need to tootle along at around the same speed as HGVs. If you push it well over 60 mph your economy will drop right off.

With the amount of mpg drop off you have I think your motorhome would have caught fire if it had been a brake disc stuck on but it is worth checking them anyway as the design of the linkage is poor. It is often difficult to set up the handbrake properly as I think it was modelled on a 2nd Century Roman baggage cart. :oops:

I also go along with the Mouse theory.

Have you been using a diesel night heater, ours went from low 20's to 13 or so
I guess it's the 3ltr engine?..
If you get black smoke when putting foot down hard and it takes a bit to clear it could be a stuck egr valve, drive it at high revs ,slow speed ( if you get my meaning)for 10 min it might unstick it.
We don't have a diesel heater and it's a 2.8ltr Fiat Ducato engine.

I don't think there was any black smoke, but I will check next time I take it out.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back