Front axle whine

RoaminRog

We have developed a whine as we reach 80 k/hr. It appears to be coming from the front nearside.
The roads over here in Italy are very badly maintained, with many serious potholes on motorways and country lanes alike.
Could the whine be a result of poor roads or maybe a lubrication problem. I will say that it doesn’t appear to be gearbox related, cause it doesn’t matter which gear we are in the whine is constant. It does stop however, if we go round a long right handed curve, but returns when we straighten up. Possibly a wheel bearing but has anyone any other thoughts. Our van is based on a 2006 Renault Master / Vauxhall Movano .

I am certainly no mechanic, but if you took it out of gear and also dipped the clutch, does the whine go? that might confirm the gearbox is linked to the problem?
Is the nearside wheel getting hotter than the other wheels? friction from bearings, sticky brake calipers, etc will generate heat that will transfer to the wheel. (if you have a TPMS installed, that will often tell you temperatures as well as tyre pressures).

(really don't know if any of the above is any help, but just thinking going through the different scenarios might help pinpoint?)

Can’t dip the clutch David, I don’t have one, but the whine remains constant whichever gear we are in.

Get the wheel off the ground put your hand on one of the springs coils ,spin the wheel and you shouldn't feel any vibes through the spring
also take a hand at 12& 6 o'clock positions and pull/push in opposite ways there should be very little or no play roger hope this helps but your description sounds like a wheel bearing imho
pall the best g

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. The heat test mentioned already will be added evidence. As is your observation that it goes quite when on a curve. Doubt the road condition a factor. If you can jack it up you may feel a lumpiness (technical term) if you spin the wheel by hand.

That is exactly the same sympton as i had a few years back in France on our Peugeot Boxer.

At the next aire i jacked up the front wheels individually and turned them by hand, instantly i could tell the difference between the nearside and offside wheels.

Turned into a bloody expensive job as the wheel bearing alone is not changeable by itself and it needed a new hub assembly, i thought the main Peugeot dealer in Cahors was pulling a fast one but it was confirmed by my local garage back here in Blighty o_O

Last edited:
I cured the whine on the front of our van by leaving Maggy at home 🤣
It does sound like a wheel bearing to me Rog, check them both because sometimes it is difficult to detect the source of a noise, even if there is no play you should feel a roughness when you spin the wheel if the bearing has gone

If it is a worn wheel bearing the noise will probably get worse as the bearing starts to collapse. I’ve just replaced a front wheel bearing on my car, it started as a barely detectable noise and then progressed to very noticeable hum over a few weeks.

Sounds like a wheel bearing can it be stuffed with some grease to help till you get it sorted properly. Or just like the Americans done with there tank’s during WW2 just run over a couple of local Italians. 😜
Given Rog's description, Wully, they'd have to be whine waiters whose last words would be 'A Mama mia, mya Fiat are killing me ...' :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Thanks everybody, I have it on the authority of the campsite, that nobody on the island will touch a Renault? Cars maybe but light trucks, No. Citroen Fiat Iveco but not Renault. Will take it easy until we get to the mainland and see what can be done there. My Italian is not good enough to argue the point.

Thanks everybody, I have it on the authority of the campsite, that nobody on the island will touch a Renault? Cars maybe but light trucks, No. Citroen Fiat Iveco but not Renault. Will take it easy until we get to the mainland and see what can be done there. My Italian is not good enough to argue the point.
how about an Opel? Your Master was also sold as an Opel Movano on the continent.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back