Fridge not getting cold enough in hot weather

Bobtaylor

Hi all,
I'm sure I've read something on this previously, suggesting a small 12v fan, but I can't find it on forum,
I'm currently on my Hols in France and its baking hot, enjoying the use of Aires and campsites every few nights,
But, my fridge doesn't appear to be getting cold enough, and the freezer compartment won't freeze,
I've tried it on gas, and 240v, it does get cool, but not cold.
I've never experienced this previously in GB, and it does get quite cold whilst travelling on 12v, I can only assume because of the air flow through the vents,
It did get very cold and froze things on one cool night.
It's an Electrolux getting on for 20 yrs old
Does hot weather affect it that much ?

I fitted three fans to our Laika as there was limited room. Setup is with two speeds so if it's really hot then we can have it on max and you can feel the hot air coming out the top vent, It can be a bit noisy hence the second switch position that runs the fans at half speed. Worked very well in Spain this year.

You could try an external fan and get it blowing into the bottom vent, this would give you an idea if an internal fan would help.

Site the van so that the fridge is on the shaded side and remove both vents to improve airflow.

better to suck or blow out of the top vent when on gas ,as you might blow out the flame

Remember the fridge is an absorption affair are you over filling it ?

little computer fans to assist do help, but frankly if you are stuffing to the gunnels any remedy pointless,

Technicalities of refrigeration aside, overfilling is more prevalent than you think

Channa

Many thanks for the replies people,
I will try that fan idea using computer vent fans, wouldn't need them on a night as weather cools down, so noise shouldn't be an issue
We always level the van, so water runs away correctly, so I knew it wasn't a level issue, but thank you,
The fridge has been full, half full and nearly empty, but still didn't get cold, but even at any state of filling it's always worked in uk, albeit with usual uk weather.
Haven't tried removing vents yet,,,,it's an easy try, so might do that tomorrow.
Once again.....thanks for suggestions people.

Use a computer fans connected to one of those dirt cheap mini solar panels, no worry about battery drain, silent at night, and only runs when it's hot and sunny

After years of humming and faffing, we're having the Dometic fan kit fitted.
If you're camping really wild and remote, the last thing you'll need is food poisoning on board.
Buy a cheap fridge thermometer and try to keep it below 5 degrees.

Agreed Paul but my experience suggests that absorption fridges only coo so much beyond the ambient temperature outside ...that is where compressor fridges come into their own

Channa

Sitting here in sunny Spain in temperatures of 38 degrees our fridge has just about coped by using a small fan blowing into the top vent!

Sitting here in sunny Spain in temperatures of 38 degrees our fridge has just about coped by using a small fan blowing into the top vent!
if you turn it round so it sucks the hot air out of the vent it might work even better

Hi all,
I'm sure I've read something on this previously, suggesting a small 12v fan, but I can't find it on forum,
I'm currently on my Hols in France and its baking hot, enjoying the use of Aires and campsites every few nights,
But, my fridge doesn't appear to be getting cold enough, and the freezer compartment won't freeze,
I've tried it on gas, and 240v, it does get cool, but not cold.
I've never experienced this previously in GB, and it does get quite cold whilst travelling on 12v, I can only assume because of the air flow through the vents,
It did get very cold and froze things on one cool night.
It's an Electrolux getting on for 20 yrs old
Does hot weather affect it that much
?

The older absorbtion fridges struggle to cope with hot weather,some of them will only cool to 20° below the ambient temperature so when it gets up to 25° and above so don't expect too much.I believe that newer fridge models are more efficient and work better in hot weather.
I have fitted the fan kit in the vent which sucks air over the cooling fins which has made a slight improvement but it still struggles to keep the temperature between an ideal 3° and 5° when it gets really hot.

Get yourself a Waeco compressor fridge and your problems will be over. When the temp goes up, the sun is putting more power thro the solar panels into the battery. Best thing we bought for our bus.

Get yourself a Waeco compressor fridge and your problems will be over. When the temp goes up, the sun is putting more power thro the solar panels into the battery. Best thing we bought for our bus.

+1

Replaced our 3 way coolbox with a Waeco cfx 40... and have never looked back...
Pulls less than an amp and is left running all the time, IN fact it's currently sat running full of beer while I'm at work, solar panels charging 3 x 100ah leisure batteries so all ready for heading off at the weekend.

Agreed Paul but my experience suggests that absorption fridges only coo so much beyond the ambient temperature outside ...that is where compressor fridges come into their own

Channa

Yes Andrew,
Though we managed to cope with the fridges on our 2 previous vans. , this little Dometic has been trouble from the off. Every year the Dometic tech has tried,so we're going for belt and braces.
We leave UK with 8 months supply of insulin.
We really have to monitor maximum and minimum temperatures. Never mind the hygiene question.

As Mr B says turn the fan round, unless the back of the fridge is fully sealed, you could be blowing fumes into the van.

My 3 way Dometic works fine on mains voltage.
Seems to be random in the gas cooling department.
Had the burner replaced etc.
I have twin computer fans hooked up.
Turned fridge onto gas yesterday morning just to see if it is motion that affects the running.
Not expecting much in the way of cooling when I check in a couple of hours.
20 degrees below cabin temp will probably be 25 degrees C!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back