Fridge not getting cold enough in hot weather

£85 for a fridge fan? I fitted three to my fridge, running through a variable speed controller*
Total cost less than £8.50. Are yours made of solid gold?
*I intend to fit an automatic temperature sensing control to one of the fans, using a thermistor from the odds and ends box, but haven't quite found the round tuit that the job needs.

This is the Dometic kit, matched to our particular model.
All singing and dancing,guaranteed for 2 years, ( at our age, that could be lifetime guarantee ). Fitted by a reliable local guy.
As we are full timing, we don't carry the tools or bits to do these jobs .
If I made a mess of installing, the consequences could be dire... And Management would have my guts for garters.

Yorkshire Economics : If we wildcamp for four nights, rather than use a big site, at peak season.... That'll pay for the whole shebang.
Time for me to fish out an ice cube for my G&T !

Last edited:
Possibly already mentioned in the thread but;

In case any one is looking for a fridge or anything else fan, computer cooling fans are
normally 12v. Good selection in Maplins, PC World if you need to look before buying on ebay etc.
I've fitted 5 (just because) in my van with and without speed controller/thermostat.

Quite a good safety measure to keep the fridge fan on permanently at night. Should
a gassing attempt be made via the fridge vent, the gas will get blown back in the
culprits face. This only applies of course to those vans where the convertor has
omitted to fit the rear baffle. Be careful not to trip over a corpse in the morning;)

Last edited:
I have two 12v computer fans installed in the top vent of my Thetford fridge freezer.

These are left running continuously and are inaudible inside the 'van. They draw about 0.5 amps which isn't an issue with solar panels and decent battery capacity. Less to go wrong when it's just a switch and fuse in the circuit.

I had a problem with my fridge all that was wrong was the door gasket was split and the fridge was working overtime getting no where.

I have two 12v computer fans installed in the top vent of my Thetford fridge freezer.

These are left running continuously and are inaudible inside the 'van. They draw about 0.5 amps which isn't an issue with solar panels and decent battery capacity. Less to go wrong when it's just a switch and fuse in the circuit.

Heard the fan for the first time, this morning. Had both ears syringed yesterday.

Disconnected solar and checked the battery current.. 0 amps. Free power...? I'll get my £ 85 back if I live to be 137.

It sound like fans are a good idea.

Are they easy to mount in the area? I presume a simple in line switch can be easily fitted. Are they needed during our cooler weather? I ask because Chris said he leaves his running continuously.

If you think yourself a bit unsure regarding installing seperate components, I think you'll find CAKtanks supply a fridge fan 'kit' ie wiring, thermostat, switch and instructions.
The thermostat (if selected) will only switch the fan on when the temp. at the rear of the fridge gets to about 30deg C. The switch is a 3 way type ...... fan on, fan off,and fan under thermostat control (automatic).

Last edited:
It sound like fans are a good idea.

Are they easy to mount in the area? I presume a simple in line switch can be easily fitted. Are they needed during our cooler weather? I ask because Chris said he leaves his running continuously.

Given that my fridge is thermostatically controlled running the fans continuously isn't an issue. It will reduce the gas consumption if the weather cools ...

Refridgerator cooling fan

Hi Can anyone recommend a quiet fan for this purpose. Is one enough?
Thanks
Alshymer

If you think yourself a bit unsure regarding installing seperate components, I think you'll find CAKtanks supply a fridge fan 'kit' ie wiring, thermostat, switch and instructions.
The thermostat (if selected) will only switch the fan on when the temp. at the rear of the fridge gets to about 30deg C. The switch is a 3 way type ...... fan on, fan off,and fan under thermostat control (automatic).

Just an update on the fridge fan from CAK. Tried to order one today but they no longer offer this product. They said they had so many complaints they decided the fans weren't fit for purpose and now no longer sell them.
Similar product available here - Motorhome Double Fridge Fan - 7164010N Buy SECURELY Online

Pat

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back