Fridge advice needed

almost went with the compressor fridge option when my fridge packed up the price difference pays for a lot of solar/battery/inverter decided that as the van is still in the £50k bracket that i need to stay near spec for resale values , by the way there is another pcb behind the strip between the fridge & freezer doors that’s the one wully is trying to track down

almost went with the compressor fridge option when my fridge packed up the price difference pays for a lot of solar/battery/inverter decided that as the van is still in the £50k bracket that i need to stay near spec for resale values , by the way there is another pcb behind the strip between the fridge & freezer doors that’s the one wully is trying to track down
I think It's the 2 pcb's on mine that don't talk to each other..
One day it works then if I start the engine it wont go, it just stops working . Using it manually instead of aes makes no difference.
Some led's come on so it gives you a clue .....
I just gave up and ordered a compressor one.
Guess I should try and sell the Dometic one for parts.
No plan to sell our van even though it's worth around £40k .. I've gone for slightly smaller so it will just be a couple of infills which can removed and an original size fridge / freezer refitted.... though at nearly £2600 it's a bit over our budget..(at this time)

worth shopping around when mine went couple of years ago i was being quoted prices like that but in the end my local service engineer got one & fitted it for me for £2000 still a hit but it’s the latest one strip led lighting door opens both ways etc

worth shopping around when mine went couple of years ago i was being quoted prices like that but in the end my local service engineer got one & fitted it for me for £2000 still a hit but it’s the latest one strip led lighting door opens both ways etc
I have tried, even got a mate who is a motorhome technician ( grease monkey really) cant do it. No parts available.not that they know what parts. They cant even employ staff as they have been advertising for a few months for more said grease monkeys..... based ross on wye if anyone is looking for a job..

Well it's in and running fine. Very quiet. If I could have found a fatter model it might have looked a little better..
So now my next query.
The Dometic oven was in the space at the top. I have dropped it down but it now fits next to the outside vent, we have two that were for the large fridge freezer that was removed. A howling gale has arrived with the removal.I can find nothing on Dometics site with regards to this model requiring a outside vent. Just the required sizes from the woodwork and the built in vents top and bottom.there is a gas drop out pipe at the rear.The large oven we had in the other van had a chimney vent to the roof.
Would I be guessing right this does not require a outside vent ?
I have checked posts on here about Dometic ovens and it sort of confirms my thought that no outside vent is required.
20230317_135620.jpg

If the manual for the oven doesn’t say it needs vents then it doesn’t. Gas drop out yes anywhere there is a join/connection on a gas pipe. Appliances I have seen/used either come with their own vent requirements or just need certain size of clear space around them but in any event the fitting instructions should tell you.

If the manual for the oven doesn’t say it needs vents then it doesn’t. Gas drop out yes anywhere there is a join/connection on a gas pipe. Appliances I have seen/used either come with their own vent requirements or just need certain size of clear space around them but in any event the fitting instructions should tell you.
Thanks, that's what I thought .. there is no mention of a outside vent.
When you get old you question your own thoughts o_O o_O
I dont have fitting instructions, its 10 years old. Google was my source . Not always reliable ☹️

Well it's in and running fine. Very quiet. If I could have found a fatter model it might have looked a little better..
So now my next query.
The Dometic oven was in the space at the top. I have dropped it down but it now fits next to the outside vent, we have two that were for the large fridge freezer that was removed. A howling gale has arrived with the removal.
When I replaced my Fridge, the replacement was around 1" smaller all around and I found a large draft coming through the external vents into the van through the gaps and out by where the hinges were (they needed space to move). I put loft insulation on the sides and the top to block it.

When I replaced my Fridge, the replacement was around 1" smaller all around and I found a large draft coming through the external vents into the van through the gaps and out by where the hinges were (they needed space to move). I put loft insulation on the sides and the top to block it.
The top outside vent is directly in line with the oven ( now that its dropped down) the wind comes straight in through the front oven vents. Thinking to blank this one and see what happens.

Thanks, that's what I thought .. there is no mention of a outside vent.
When you get old you question your own thoughts o_O o_O
I dont have fitting instructions, its 10 years old. Google was my source . Not always reliable ☹️
If you have the make and model have a look on Jackson’s, I found manuals there for my old stuff 👍

So our dometic 8555 aes fridge is on the wonk again.only a few lights on the LCD screen working and it wont start on anything . No fault light on either.just the blue one.
Whilst away in windy Scotland it gave off a terrible smell for a few days and after getting out of the wind in a few days started working again though wasn't cooling very good.now stopped.
Now giving up on it and need advice on a compressor fridge to replace it...
Ideally a 90 cl one.. can anyone recommend one .
I can alter the units in height by dropping the oven down.
I know the vents (2) and gas need capping off . I guess a new twin core cable from the leisure battery is needed , is 6mm twin core enough.
There are 2x 12 volt cables and a 240 volt in back now but I think (guess) these can't be use due to coming from alternator. The 8555 one also works off solar but I dont think that has ever been connected.
I know they do a 3 way straight swap replacement, though a different model. but not sure I want another one. Or is this the best option?
Sorry for rambling but I cant get my head around it. ☹️
I full-time and use a compressor fridge. I would never have a gas one again. I have a waeco 110 litre I think. However it's amazing how prices have gone up over the last 10 years. My range I believe has been replaced by a newer model. I fitted mine with with 6 mm tinned cable . One thing I would say is they are not the quietest so fit away from your bed area.I have good panels and batteries so don't even think about how much the fridge uses In power but it's great running off solar and means our gas is purely just for cooking purposes. It's proven reliable over 8 years as well and has never let us down like a gas one has.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back