Fresh water

• Thread starter Deleted member 84389
  • Start date
Hey Dude,

You dont need to shower - use the rivers / streams / public swimming pool / leisure centres when getting extra desperate.
You dont need to use water for the toilet either - use bushes / public toilets and for number twos - remember there's that dog poo bin thing - carry lots of nappy sacks ;-)

I have about 70l underslung container - by myself with cooking, washing , drinking etc I can go over a week. As mentioned, always carry some bottled water because you'd be surprised how tricksy an accessible and free water tap can be. Even then though - you can buy 2l bottles from supermarkets for less than 20p each and there are many supermarkets - waste of plastic though so it is my 'emergency' plan B. :)

I'm very conscious of the plastic issue, so I bought 6x2litre bottles which I fill up from a tap when empty. Each bottle must've been filled a dozen times now. They fit nicely under the sink between my pan box & my utensil storage tub.

Completely wilding, we would use 8 litres each per day.
Don't shower every day. Park near wild swimming spots.. Nobody ever got arrested for peeing in a river, or the sea.
If you do shower.. don't let it run.
A quick all over soak.. Turn it off.
Apply a little shampoo to hair.
With a soapy or shampoo- y sponge, wash the armpits and charm pits... Ace king queen jacksey.
Then gently rinse off, starting with your hair, downwards.
Don't flush the cassette.
Buy a garden spray bottle.
Fill with pink Elsan, or similar. Add a capful of Zolflora, or similar.
Spray round the bowl prior to pooing. Open the flap.
Try to perfect your sitting / sh!tting position so that nothing hits the sides.
Wipe round anything that didn't score a bullseye.. Don't use luxury bog rolls.
Never pass a free toilet. Or an available tap.
Eat lots of eggs and cheese.
Avoid prunes, apricots and rhubarb.
We still do this.. Even though we're vanless.

Don't shower every day. Park near wild swimming spots.. Nobody ever got arrested for peeing in a river, or the sea.
With a soapy or shampoo- y sponge, wash the armpits and charm pits... Ace king queen jacksey.
Eggs ,i thought there was something in the air at lennan fort that day but i just put it down to an age thing. :oops:

Have 'golden showers' saves emptying the cassette and saves on water! :giggle:
What is a golden shower? I want one.

IMG_20200103_123953.jpg

We use11 litres max a day, including about 2 litres water for the dog with thyroid problem. Use extra water from morning tea kettle to strip wash daily, water from hot water bottle ( still warm) to wash up breakfast stuff. Find it easier to use less in winter. Shower, as others have said, in leisure centres, on occasional campsite, but it's not like we are coal mining, just a wash is fine. Use wet wipes at night before bed. Brush teeth using cup of water each. We do carry a ten litre drinking water but rarely need it. Top water wherever we see it.

Even better if you have no hair !

Vanless in Settle (& Carlisle) ?

Do a youtube video !
But you forgot
Put bogpaper in a doggy bag (poo type)
Copy what the French and Italians do !!!

Necessity or should I say NECESESHITTY in the matriarch of invention.
Use shower water to do the clothes washing.
Wipe dishes with kitchen towel to use less water
AND as you post use sprays...Toilet and washing up

I have tried emailing Poo to many people but it does not work...Maybe because of their SPAM (egg and chips) filter ?

Hey Dude,

You dont need to shower - use the rivers / streams / public swimming pool / leisure centres when getting extra desperate.
You dont need to use water for the toilet either - use bushes / public toilets and for number twos - remember there's that dog poo bin thing - carry lots of nappy sacks ;-)

I have about 70l underslung container - by myself with cooking, washing , drinking etc I can go over a week. As mentioned, always carry some bottled water because you'd be surprised how tricksy an accessible and free water tap can be. Even then though - you can buy 2l bottles from supermarkets for less than 20p each and there are many supermarkets - waste of plastic though so it is my 'emergency' plan B. :)
Yes and No !
We met a man in Germany who had a nice and huge Sprinter
Really a van he worked from and lived in. I think he did not have a toilet ..
He suggested we might go and POO in the nearby river... No thanks
I will pee anywhere suitable and my wife will sometimes do similar
BUT why..(Do too much of this)...We want to enjoy our travels.
We mainly travel in France/Germany etc and can use free aires/stellplatz maybe every 3 days
We also managed the NC500 (Scotland) and ONLY paid at Kinlochbervie
As Scott Taylor (police 5?) wouldd say "Eyes and Ears"
Maybe nose as well. The NC 500 was our 2nd tour of Scotland agin (Scottish accent) mainly wilding

I honestly can't understand how much water use when out and about!

Damn it all, even if you are in a large gin palace on wheels and are either 'wilding' or doing the basic 'aires' then surely to bloooody god it aint' rocket science that you have to go easy on water?

For us, the two of us plus the 3 dogs, our on board 110 ltr. tank normally lasts for 5 or 6 days and we use the contents of a 5 ltr plastic bottle for drinks.

The loo cassette normally lasts us for 3 days when using it for every toilet need or slightly more if I go out to the bushes for a pee. As for the flushing tank, a full tank will last us for 4 or more weeks as we only ever use it for flushing after a messy No. 2, the rest of the time if we are accurate then no water is needed to flush.

What I have always failed to understand are people who want to become either tuggers or motorhome/campervan users and yet they still want their daily 15 mins. shower, surely to xyz the blessed water tank will soon run out............ oh and as an ex caravan site owner in France, this is exactly why so many sites fit shower taps that have a timed or restricted flow!

Hi all,

Newbie so sorry if these sound like stupid questions but how long would a 90litre fresh water tank last if your were off grid assuming a shower a day? Now would be a navy shower i no and guess everyone is different but just wanted to see what people get out of them?

Also how big are the toilet cassests?? I drink nearly 4 litres of water a day so if was in a motorohome I guess I would be filling toilet rather quickly?

cheers

Kev

Hi
Our water tank is 120L and lasts nearly a week showering every other day. We also carry some bottled drinking water. And the essential watering can for filling up.
We carry a spare toilet cassette in a Fiamma Porta Kassett Toilet Tank Container fixed inside the garage area (expensive but worth the security of carrying a spare cassette).
We have a solar panel on the roof and only had a few days where we had to run the engine to top up – mainly in Scotland
So all in all can wild for a week without filling and emptying – Using this system we have wild camped for the last 12 years for periods up to 8 weeks at a time.

Reactions: 2cv
Our tank holds 120 ltrs we have 5 gallon in the garage in a plastic barrel .
That last us 6/8 days .

When in Spain France Portugal we buy our drinking water/tea. Coffee cocking in 6ltr plastic containers from Aldi Lidl or others.

We only pee in toilet and have 20ltr barrel to empty it in to .
And We don't us the flush we use a eco disinfectant spay to keep toilet clean.

We both have a quick shower each morning !
We keep the water in the shower-tray to then wash clothes.
Most days 2 x 10 litre watering can ops up the main Freshwater tank and we keep a refillable 5 litre bottle for Drinking and cooking.
If the watering can or 5 litre bottle cannot be used with a basin tap we use a jug.
We rarely need to rush and so have the habit of topping up when we can.
We have a wind-up hose but rarely use it.
Quite happy to collect water from streams.
In Riantec (Brittany) there is a large concrete sink/bath/pool where the locals come to get water.
It is constantly being fed by good water which results in dirty water flowing out
"Eyes and Ears" as Shaw Taylor used to say !
Also sack the third wise monkey and ask
locals / other travellers / garages / supermarkets

On the question about the toilet cassette. The size depends on whether you have the good old fashioned one that holds a reasonable amount or the stupid new fangled things that hold as much as the pot I used to have under the bed as a child. Two of us can go 4 days using the casstte for everything, 6 to 7 if close to facilities and I can expose myself without the brass fracturing. Those modern things seem totally useless to me, and the thought of carrying several full ones around would put me in constant fear of springing a leak (excuse the pun)

On the question about the toilet cassette. The size depends on whether you have the good old fashioned one that holds a reasonable amount or the stupid new fangled things that hold as much as the pot I used to have under the bed as a child. Two of us can go 4 days using the casstte for everything, 6 to 7 if close to facilities and I can expose myself without the brass fracturing.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back