Fresh water

• Thread starter Deleted member 84389
  • Start date

Deleted member 84389

Hi all,

Newbie so sorry if these sound like stupid questions but how long would a 90litre fresh water tank last if your were off grid assuming a shower a day? Now would be a navy shower i no and guess everyone is different but just wanted to see what people get out of them?

Also how big are the toilet cassests?? I drink nearly 4 litres of water a day so if was in a motorohome I guess I would be filling toilet rather quickly?

cheers

Kev

The water tank will last as long as you want it to if you are frugal on use not much help I guess get a watering can plastic 10 litre size and top the tank up as and when you see a tap, cemeteries public toilets pubs garages etc. My cassette holds 17 litres of liquid would need to empty after 3 days but have wild pees, keep as much liquid out of the cassette as possible use toilets when you can pubs cafes etc have a plastic bottle available for emergencies and dispose of contents sensibly, you are moving into the life of wild camping so need to adabt your thinking, as for poo, what do dog walkers use for the dog poo, and do not hang it on the bushes as they do. With sensible planing one can stay off grid for ever.

James has a peepeepot, and when emptying the cassette is scarce, I use a shewee into his pot. Share and share alike here. Our cassette will last 6 days or so ...
100 ltr tank ... showers every day???? What’s wrong with a strip wash or wet wipes? I have long hair and by the time I have rinsed out conditioner, a J showered, I reckon we’ve used c. 25 litres.
Agree with above ... toilet elsewhere when you can and top up when ever you can.

We (2) have 90 litre fresh water tank and we have gone 4 days.
As others have posted a 10 litre watering can will help.
We have never run out of water in 5 years wilding (mainly) all summer.

The toilet is more testing but by
1 using public toilets or suitable discreet places to p1ss (I assume Kev is male)
2 Having a 2nd tank..we have a large plastic container courtesy of Aldi which will hold about 1.5 cassettes worth.
It is a fail-safe/ backup..WE have never used it for the cassette but have found it handy to transport grey water and so not move the vehicle
Said tank has 2 large fill/empty holes with screw caps
Again in 5 years we have never had a problem !

Our 150 litre (or maybe 160 litre) water tank lasts two people about 10 days, less about half a day for each shower. So if two of us each showered every day, that would be about five or six days.

A standard C200 cassette lasts us seven or eight person-days as long as you don't use much (or any) flush water.
So for two people, that's three to four days.

We carry a spare cassette in a Really Useful Box in the garage. That way, we can manage eight days (or longer if we use toilets when out of the van).

Not good advice in my view.
Getting rid of domestic rubbish is harder than finding places to empty the toilet.
If you use washing liquid in the toilet, the paper dissolves in any case.

I find it makes a big difference depending if it’s just me or if Caz is with me. With Caz my 140ltr fresh tank it about 4 days worth and cassette 3 to 4 days. On my own or rather me and the dogs we can go much longer. I have been around Stonehenge area since 19th December, started off with 140ltr full tank with another 15 litres in a container. Got given about 15 litres by someone leaving after the Solstics then when Charlie and Karen came back last Friday I bought 15x2ltr bottles.

so approx 200ltrs has lasted me 21 days so far, I still have almost 6ltrs in bottles, gave a 2ltr bottle away and have maybe 15ltrs in the tank. so approx 170ltrs used in 21 days, that’s dogs drinking water, cooking water, hot and cold drinks, washing up and strip washes. Not so bad I don’t think for me and two dogs.

I carry a spare cassette but still on the first one so far but pee outside or in a bottle then empty that. I also carry a 25ltr waste drum that I can empty cassettes in to for extra space.

Was well stocked with food although I did get some bits last Friday when I got water but not much, will be going shopping tomorrow and will get water and food. Still got 3 steaks and a pack of minced need and a couple of Thai salmon fish cakes in the freezer. Cooking up the last of the fresh veg tonight that will do tea as well as bubble and squeak for breakfast.

#vanlife :)

I used to find the Cassette capacity on my old first van was the main issue on longer stops, as we had 3 kids with us too. Bought a spare one off ebay, kept it in the outside lockup.

I used to find the Cassette capacity on my old first van was the main issue on longer stops, as we had 3 kids with us too. Bought a spare one off ebay, kept it in the outside lockup.
Yes if you have family with you or even a partner then I factor in campsite nights to empty out and fill up as well as getting long showers and laundry

Hi all,

Newbie so sorry if these sound like stupid questions but how long would a 90litre fresh water tank last if your were off grid assuming a shower a day? Now would be a navy shower i no and guess everyone is different but just wanted to see what people get out of them?

Also how big are the toilet cassests?? I drink nearly 4 litres of water a day so if was in a motorohome I guess I would be filling toilet rather quickly?

cheers

Kev
I just love the fact you are planning on going off grid and showering every day 😂

For us a couple who shower every day but don’t waste water. 170litre tank on the van lasts us 4 to 6 days depending on various things. We don’t drink water from our tank. cassette can do 3 days. We also carry a spare cassette.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back