French Water

Andys

Free Member
While on recent French trip we stayed at La Mailleraye sur Seine for 2 days, while we were there we noticed that all the French were using the water marked as only suitable to wash out toilet cassettes to fill up their water tanks.

When we asked them they said:
1 - they thought it was the same water that you pay 3 euro for
2 - they use the water for cooking and showering and so the water was safe after boiling

What do you think is it safe to use I know its only 3 euro but I am a yorkshire man

Have you noticed two separate sources of water in Campsites or CL's and yet they all specify which tap to use for drinking. I cannot imagine that anyone would provide two sources of water to within a few feet of each other.

Have you noticed two separate sources of water in Campsites or CL's and yet they all specify which tap to use for drinking. I cannot imagine that anyone would provide two sources of water to within a few feet of each other.

I think it`s more a case of 2 separate taps should be more hygienic.

However, from what i`ve seen a lot just use whichever tap they want.

We had a night at the CC site at Chirk the other week whilst the weather was still very warm.

I saw a guy turn the " Drinking Water " tap on and then let his dog drink / lap the water coming out.

He couldn`t see what the problem was when i said he shouldn`t be doing that .............. :mad2:

I agree with Wooie - it is more a matter of hygene. If people have had their toilet cassette in contact with a tap or hose then I am not happy to get my fresh water supply from that source. However, you can't guarantee that the "fresh water" tap hasn't been contaminated either, so we only ever use the water in the tank for washing or for boiling; if we want to drink fresh water we use the bottled stuff.

Hi Andys,

We have seen a lot of misuse over the years with people putting the spout of their toilet cassette over the clean water taps but you never know who has used them before and for what purpose.I use a disinfectant spray sometimes but tend to buy water for drinking from the supermarket it cost so little against the cost of your holiday and a possible stomach upset.I never use the hoses on fill ups as they spend a lot of the time on the ground so I use a watering can that I carry in the van.So far in 20,000 miles European travel over five years we have had no problems.But remember to keep your on board tanks clean as well with an antiseptic cleaner before you travel.

regards Snowbirds.:wave::wave:

While on recent French trip we stayed at La Mailleraye sur Seine for 2 days, while we were there we noticed that all the French were using the water marked as only suitable to wash out toilet cassettes to fill up their water tanks.

When we asked them they said:
1 - they thought it was the same water that you pay 3 euro for
2 - they use the water for cooking and showering and so the water was safe after boiling

What do you think is it safe to use I know its only 3 euro but I am a yorkshire man

Hi Snowbirds
Always carry sterilising wipes and when using hose always let it run a bit first. Clean our tanks once a year
Thanks for the advise
Andy

When in Wales we fill up from streams in them there hill's, got a small 12v pump and hose, the water is used for washing and washing up, boiled for tea or coffee.
Haven't died yet, and don't think we suffer from any more side effects than usual.

When in Wales we fill up from streams in them there hill's, got a small 12v pump and hose, the water is used for washing and washing up, boiled for tea or coffee.
Haven't died yet, and don't think we suffer from any more side effects than usual.

May i just say how very brave you are drinking the water from the streams in Wales.

You only have to look at some of the members on here who live there to see the devastating effects it can have on people ....................... :raofl::raofl::raofl:

Where we are on Dartmoor, the local mine chimney has still got enough arsenic to kill the Worlds population, us long time residents speak in strange tongues, and make Quasimodo look fit, so a little water passed by the Welsh I think will have little effect.
A bit like the smog in your part of the World. :cheers:

the only time i drank from a welsh stream there really was a dead sheep rotting in the water a bit further up ! i don't do that anymore. but any bacteria would be dispersed amongst thousands of gallons of water,and i reckon my body can tackle the few that actually get swallowed.
there is ,of course, absolutely no scientific basis for any of that !

There is a solution to this problem is given on a French site about building a custom Bourne. A stainless steel plate mounted just below the drinking water tap with a hole big enough to allow a hose to go through but not big enough for a cassette neck to go around or near the tap. The picture is on the other computer that I am having problems with. I will post the picture later.

John

I use the water in my tank for washing and showering etc and for drinking I keep beer in the fridge

Every knows the French are dirty b*****ds and would drink anything.
They also smell.

May i just say how very brave you are drinking the water from the streams in Wales.

You only have to look at some of the members on here who live there to see the devastating effects it can have on people ....................... :raofl::raofl::raofl:

I think you will find that everyone in Birmingham drinks from streams in Wales----isnt that where their water comes from?

I think you will find that everyone in Birmingham drinks from streams in Wales----isnt that where their water comes from?

Three reservoirs in the Elan Valley, probably one of the finest driving cul de sacs in the UK!

HOOK LINE AND STINKER

I've owned a house 10km outside Carcassonne for over 25years. Love the place except July and August (gets a little hot)

Go on Wints have a little giggle

OK no more smellie French jokes. I'l have to think of something else

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back