French Visas, anyone winged it and overstayed?

barryd

I am reading reports on another motorhome forum that some who applied and were succesfull previously in obtaining the six month French Visa are now getting rejections despite submitting the exact same applications and plans as previously. One I believe was a first timer, also rejected.

This is worrying as I was hoping to do this next spring. Anyone else had any experience of this or a knock back?

It led me to think I wonder if anyone has winged it and stayed four or maybe five months and what were the consequences if any? Its something I studied a lot before we left the EU and there are stories of third country nationals being fined up to £1000 for overstaying so its probably a bonkers idea but what are the real life experiences of actual motorhomers? It costs around £350 for two of you to get a Visa and its money lost if its rejected and the appeals process seems pointless. Its a major blow for us if true.

Of course I have no intention of breaking the rules as infuriating and frustrating as they are but just wondered if there was any real life experiences of someone either accidentally breaking them in a motorhome or on purpose and what were the consequences? I found an old thread from last year with a link to the Connexion which said you could face a fine of 198 Euros if caught in France. Well given that the Visa costs £350 and it looks like the French are now getting iffy about handing them out while still taking your £350 you can see how some motorhomers might be tempted to wing it. Not me of course.

If you intend to go for 6 months why not explore the surrounding none Schengen countries (sounds like China) for three of them, you could border hop and only go in when you need to.

If you intend to go for 6 months why not explore the surrounding none Schengen countries (sounds like China) for three of them, you could border hop and only go in when you need to.
Not so sure there is much border hoping to be done without a fair bit of planning, although Turkey, Georgia and northern Stans is a trip I'd love to do.

Last edited:
Of course I have no intention of breaking the rules as infuriating and frustrating as they are but just wondered if there was any real life experiences of someone either accidentally breaking them in a motorhome or on purpose and what were the consequences? I found an old thread from last year with a link to the Connexion which said you could face a fine of 198 Euros if caught in France. Well given that the Visa costs £350 and it looks like the French are now getting iffy about handing them out while still taking your £350 you can see how some motorhomers might be tempted to wing it. Not me of course.
What are the criteria for getting a visa in France?
My son did make some enquiries in Italy and , I think , the fact he was working (IT stuff) helped .
You still work , I think ?

I think that though a fine may be insignificant the flagging of a passport and a ban on entry would make future entry very difficult. I read that it is important to get a passport stamp on exit to avoid the chance of appearing to have overstayed.

Barry will have his inflatable Kayak anyway. He won't mind a few passengers.
Dont give him ideas Rob, if he does a canoe job, he'll be sorted for a free new motorhome, fuel and road tax paid, top notch wifi to keep in touch with relations from all around the world, all for free....................sorry.............I mean paid for by us indigenous mugs :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely not worth the risk!
They do take notice of dates as one mentioned how could my wife have stayed a day longer on our last trip when we travelled together he was smiling and ok with it obviously who ever stamped it the last time made a mistake

They do take notice of dates as one mentioned how could my wife have stayed a day longer on our last trip when we travelled together he was smiling and ok with it obviously who ever stamped it the last time made a mistake
I doubt that a one day discrepecancy in that situation is going to cause a problem.

As ever it's those who flout the law in an outrageous fashion and who don't consider the consequences till it's too late. That makes it more likely that those who have made a genuine mistake suffer as well.

English Friend from spain overstayed! And said he wasnt coming back to uk again, then a family member suddenly died and he had to fly back home for the funeral, he had overstayed by 5 months , €680 fine and a dressing down by the spanish police when checking into the airport, and they obviously made a remark on his passport as a few weeks later returning to spain from gatwick the immigration desk in malaga questioned his exit date

Back