French speeding fine, time limit?

A speeding motoring prosecution in the uk is not criminal on it's own
For £ 6.99 at tool station ( exspanding foam)they are filling up them yellow boxes in and around London. Ha ha .
Them bad vandals are against the new outer limits of short London mans tax. Now thats criminal.

That report is a bit conflicting though as it goes on to say that they are not sharing the info anymore and the French are hoping to set up a new deal.

Has anyone actually had a fine back in the UK since the start of 2021?
Yes. A friend of mine got a speeding fine sent to him in the U.K. last year. He went through a speed camera in Brittany on his way home from us.

We have v=been to
That report is a bit conflicting though as it goes on to say that they are not sharing the info anymore and the French are hoping to set up a new deal.

Has anyone actually had a fine back in the UK since the start of 2021?

We have been across to France on numerous occasions since then Barry and, despite my best efforts, have been flashed on the motorways at least once per trip. Nothing received in the post on trips before 2021 or since, for us.

SPEED CAMERA DETECTORS IN FRANCE​

France says 'non' to camera detectors
Speed camera detectors are legal at home. But it's not always true abroad, where many countries have laws that ban drivers from carrying or using them.
Since 2012, it's been strictly forbidden under the French 'Code de la Route' (highway code) to have a speed camera detector in a car in France. That's regardless of whether or not you're using it.
Read our guide to understand what the law says and what it means for your driving trip to France.
Speeding

What does the French law say?​

French laws ban drivers from carrying devices that can detect speed cameras. This covers:
  • Radar and laser detectors, which pick up the signal from mobile speed cameras
  • GPS systems which show fixed speed cameras that exist on a database
Banned GPS systems can include sat navs and other navigation devices that show you where fixed speed cameras are.
'Jammers' which block the signal from a speed camera to stop you being caught are illegal, both here and abroad.

What are the penalties?​

If you're caught with one of the banned devices, you could be penalised. Penalties can include:
  • Fines of up to €1,500
  • Confiscation of the device
  • The vehicle being confiscated
Penalties can be issued if you're using the device or if you simply have it in the car, even if it's switched off.
All satnavs have got around this by warning the driver of a hazardous area instead of a speed camera,

As for speeding fines, ignore them but only if your not regularly in France in the same vehicle.

One of my drivers had the vehicle reg checked by plod in Paris and every single offence that vehicle was involved in and still outstanding came up on the portable devise the officer was using, since the vehicle was registered to a company and the driver could claim he wasn’t driving at the time of the offences (he was) he got away with it.

But had it been his car then he would have had to pay there and then.

I had a similar in Zurich, but luckily I’d just changed my van and it came back clear.

We have v=been to

We have been across to France on numerous occasions since then Barry and, despite my best efforts, have been flashed on the motorways at least once per trip. Nothing received in the post on trips before 2021 or since, for us.

I could be wrong here but is it possible you were mistaken for a goods vehicle and an actual human has looked at the evidence and discounted it as its clear you were a motorhome? Cant remember but aren't the limits different on some motorways?

Fit a dummy set of plates when over there. ;)
I bought my wagon in Germany and it came with German number plates which I kept as souvenirs. I have never done it but I have long considered fitting them here for just such a reason. No emission charges or parking fines etc? Generally too law abiding for it to matter, I suppose.

I could be wrong here but is it possible you were mistaken for a goods vehicle and an actual human has looked at the evidence and discounted it as its clear you were a motorhome? Cant remember but aren't the limits different on some motorways?

Yes I think there's something in that.

We have been flashed when attempting to do 90kmh (when cars are able to do higher speeds) as we are over 3500kg but when flashed the back of our motorhome looks much the same as the others. To find our weight out les flics would have to access our records at the DVLA. Given that we are close to the limit I suspect that they just pass us off as another motorhome as we are not a big Morelle/Concorde type liner so not obviously over the 3500kg.

Been flashed loads of times in France, but never had a ticket, as we are a high vehicle we are flashed thinking we are a HGV which have a lower speed limit than cars or vehicles under 3500 kg , if you look at a French speed camera there are two cameras one is set to a height for cars the other for HGV etc I think when we have been flashed the image is checked by a person and they have dismissed it as we are a motorhome and not a HGV incidentally my van is 3650 kg so should really come under HGV speed limit in France but I don't think they check through the DVLA as if they did I surely would have had a ticket.

Reactions: GMJ
We had a ticket waiting for us a few years ago upon our return from Spain. We were outside the 28 days (or whatever it was) so the fine had doubled however I contacted them and they were happy for us to pay the lower figure.

My experience, pre and post 21 is that a fine from France has never followed me home. I get over three or four times a year, and generally get flashed a couple of times each trip - typically on the autoroute. Usually I head straight to the Alps, so I’m in ‘progress mode’. The last few trips have been in the sprinter camper, and I’m not flying - typically 84mph, but I think the camera thinks I’m bigger/heavier so I should be below that.

In pre brexit times, and a couple of time since I’ve been in a much quicker smaller van, and my behaviour has been much worse…. I always respect the approach to the ferry/tunnel as you’re easy pickings.

You’ll never escape the little blue megane sports at the road side tho. The portable cameras are subtle and difficult to spot. If you’re going to speed, do it at night. My sprinter does 22mpg on a good day, so above 85 it’s a fine in itself, so I don’t bother.

Also - I used a payment tag this last trip, and it was so much less hassle.

The answer of course is not to speed 🙂 Where are you going at such a pace. We see MHs blasting by us when out and about in France evidently on some sort of mission. I used to rush everywhere while working but now just take my time. Might as well make it to the end rather than an unplanned exit 😉

Not all that easy. Last year whilst going through France, had an artic in front on duel carriageway. Entered an island going uphill. As the wagon struggled, I moved over to overtake it, just as I passed the wagon, saw a flash in my side mirror and spotted the camera. (Think it was me it flashed at). Checked speedo and was doing 45 mph. Not heard anything though. (y)

Different subject, but last year my wife had to attend a Hospital in France and we used the EHIC card at the time but after returning home she received a bill from the hospital for the treatment. I queryed the bill but they insisted it was due. I paid the bill as I thought if I didn't they could possibly tag your passport and then the next time you arrive at the port and present your passport for approval it would flag up. ????? Better safe than sorry.
You can reclaim from NHS. But it requires enormous patience. You can only claim by calling a number in Newcastle…that never gets a reply!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back