France unmarked cars

Seems the allowance will be 10 kph over the limit below 100kph and 10% allowance with speed limits of over 100 kph so you are still allowed to get away with 89 kph

Last edited:
Seems the allowance will be 10 kph over the limit below 100kph and 10% allowance with speed limits of over 100 kph so you are still allowed to get away with 89 kph

That's a higher tolerance than here, I got done for 34 in a 30 :mad1::mad1:

Thanks for that, didn’t,t know about it. Do you know what the law on dogs is? We secure ours with a harness with a strap around the bar at the back of the front passenger seat, and he lays between the seats. Assume this is OK?

Lesley

Of more concern is that they won't actually be unmarked police cars because the enforcement is being handed to private contractors, which invites comparison with private parking enforcement in the UK.

chill out

marked or unmarked cars shouldn't be an issue for anyone. its really simple... look up the traffic laws for the country you're travelling thru and stick to them! what are you speeding for anyway? you're a wildcamper! sit back, chillout and take life easy :)

marked or unmarked cars shouldn't be an issue for anyone. its really simple... look up the traffic laws for the country you're travelling thru and stick to them! what are you speeding for anyway? you're a wildcamper! sit back, chillout and take life easy :)

I do, but the point I'm making is that it's not unknown for private contractors to be a little, shall we say overzealous, particularly if their remuneration is related to their performance. Although I'm not saying that is necessarily the case with the French model.

and that is why if my motorhome is moving my dashcam is ON :) recording GPS position, speed, time & date as well as the obvious video. let them try arguing that in a court of law ;)

It will be interesting to see if these private contractors actually issue fines to speeding foreign motorists despite the fact that they can now access DVLA details because so far the French Authorities have not despite them being able to since May last year. If they are private contractors I am assuming they will be paid on a commission of the number of fines brought in. I suspect they will go after the easy targets which probably isnt speeding Brits as its more paper work and less chance of seeing the money.

I could be wrong of course.

Of more concern is that they won't actually be unmarked police cars because the enforcement is being handed to private contractors, which invites comparison with private parking enforcement in the UK.

Will they be ticket thru the post or on the spot fines and why should a private French company be given the right to buy our details from DVLA.Whole new can of worms

Surely 10% of 30 is 3 so anything above 33mph is ticketable?

Yes.

But with the French 10kph (6.2MPH) below 100Kph (62MPH) would mean we would be OK for 36.2MPH , in a 30 limit if we had the same as them. :)

and that is why if my motorhome is moving my dashcam is ON :) recording GPS position, speed, time & date as well as the obvious video. let them try arguing that in a court of law ;)

All very good but by the time you get a letter the dashcam will have rewritten over it five times.

Surely 10% of 30 is 3 so anything above 33mph is ticketable?

You could always use Pythagoras' law and use a correction figure as the recorded speed is the Hypotenuse not the actual speed on the road,, need to know the distances from the camera the angle from the point of exposure, A lot of work to remove 2mph off the figure, but I bet the police have not used a corrected figure on the fine speed. Works anywhere where the camera is not DIRECTLY in front of the vehicle but to the side of the road and higher than the surface. The closer to the camera the higher the differences.

Will they be ticket thru the post or on the spot fines and why should a private French company be given the right to buy our details from DVLA.Whole new can of worms

The UK signed up to the cross borders directive last year so that motoring fines committed abroad can be pursued and vehicle owner details accessed I believe. I guess it depends who is accessing them and issuing the fines. Are the private contractors just doing the leg work of the police and the authorities will be pursuing the offender? I dont know but I do know that so far the French at least have not been chasing them. I had at least four camera flashes last summer and never heard anything and apart from a few Brits that have had fines passed on by hire car companies I Dont know of anyone who has received a fine in their own vehicle back in the UK. Yet.

Dash cams muck up too. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 22.04.07.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 22.04.07.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 80
You could always use Pythagoras' law and use a correction figure as the recorded speed is the Hypotenuse not the actual speed on the road,, need to know the distances from the camera the angle from the point of exposure, A lot of work to remove 2mph off the figure, but I bet the police have not used a corrected figure on the fine speed. Works anywhere where the camera is not DIRECTLY in front of the vehicle but to the side of the road and higher than the surface. The closer to the camera the higher the differences.

Sadly Mr. Pythagoras was around that day, I came round a bend and directly in front of me (on the next bend) was a police motorcyclist with a speed gun, not much of an angle at all.

However a very good point.

In the UK the 10 % "rule" is discretionary adopted as practice by ACPO. As the law stands however 30.1 MPH in 30 zone the offence is complete. So an officer is still within his rights to issue a ticket

Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back