Fort William day parking

jann

We always like to stop in Fort William for a few hours in the day when in the area.Normally in winter there is no charge.Last week the car park near the bus station had a charge all year,no vehicles on it at all.We parked on Lidl for free limited parking.This doesn't encourage visitors in any vehicle

no

We always like to stop in Fort William for a few hours in the day when in the area.Normally in winter there is no charge.Last week the car park near the bus station had a charge all year,no vehicles on it at all.We parked on Lidl for free limited parking.This doesn't encourage visitors in any vehicle
best money is, member ship money, for great val-u get the point ,i did ,pj

Parked there in November and paid , I think , pretty small fee for 2/3 hours .
Free is better but charge didn't put me off

Unfortunately most Councillors are short sighted, I am continually trying to lobby my fellow councillors to see outside the box, but they see parking as a money making scheme without the knock on effect that has. Another thing I’m spending time on is public toilets, in the last 10years we have lost over 1,000, we are now down to about 4,300, and the larger councils are making the parish and town councils take over financial responsibility for them. If we are not careful the day will come of having no public toilets, and that would be a public disgrace.

Fort william, another place that doesn't want us. We avoid it unless we really need provisions, or want a ride on the Jacobite steam train.

We too generally pass straight through. If they made it more welcoming in the manner that Hawick for example have we’d probably spend some time (and money) there.

I'm not sure that a small charge would deter me from parking in a town. Here in Portsmouth it's £1.80 an hour almost everywhere with a large part of the City with permit parking at £80 a year for the first vehicle. If I'm on holiday I'm not going to quibble to park in the centre rather than miles out in the sticks.

It seemed that Fort William had parking charges and most of Highland region did not this effects the locals and council staff too after moving to the new office.
Before you say it, the council leased 3 offices and now use there own building, making a saving.
Highland council has no money, there have been huge cuts to staff and services, toilets for example etc.
Inverness seems to fear better with investment than the outer reaches of Highland district.

This will be the future I think, just like the lake district and almost any town in England, you just have to pay something.

Money for tourist infrastructure has to come from somewhere, council or government and tourists should pay something towards it, I pay council tax.

I would expect any carpark charges to reflect the popularity of the area.
Somewhere like Fort William tends to be inundated by tourists and the council will try and get something back to pay for services.

I would expect any carpark charges to reflect the popularity of the area.
Somewhere like Fort William tends to be inundated by tourists and the council will try and get something back to pay for services.

Yes high street car park is £2 for 3 hours , free between 1800 and 0800 . Seems reasonable , toilets did have a turnstile but that was disabled . Well worn but decent , clean facilities .
Off topic but nearby Garrison West restaurant is well worth a visit . Never confident of getting good food in small Scottish towns , think we're getting better

It’s not worth paying to park in Fort Bill it’s for topping up on fuel and provisions then heading somewhere nice. The whole towns a bit shabby and rundown.

Cale, cut to the quick, Fort Bill is a dump.

I've only ever stopped in the town twice, first time was in the seventies, we where young and it was something different, last time was about 20 years ago, couldn't wait to drive off.

Sums up Fort William

4E3A3232-F748-416A-AF5B-1A3680F5AE6B.png

It’s not worth paying to park in Fort Bill it’s for topping up on fuel and provisions then heading somewhere nice. The whole towns a bit shabby and rundown.

I have lived just outside Fort William for 8 years now, sadly the bypass takes you round the back of the high street, not the best look.
The local "town team " have done a great job recently of tiding the town up, painting, cleaning, flow beds etc much better.

Many good places to eat and a lot to do on the door step for free with Mountain biking, walking, swimming, running, skiing, climbing etc

Still love being here, even with the rain, much better than in a city.

Don’t do restaurants. One good thing has appeared in the town, a Home Bargains store.
They call it the outdoor capital of Scotland but Aviemore is a far nicer place for the outdoors IMO.

Ok then , great baker in Aviemore . Ashers .
Best Scotch pie I can remember having .
To be fair to Fort William it has done a lot to re-invent itself . Think the outdoor reputation is based particularly on world Mountain Biking championship .
Whether you 'do restaurants' or not good eating places are a sign of an upward economy

Last edited:
I dread to think what Fort Bill would do without the Scottish Six Day Trial and the Mountain Bike World Cup.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back