Forestry and land Stay the Night Cut Short

Seems a shame as they say it was a success. I was in the one at AE on Sat night and it was great.

It is a shame. We called in at one today and there were at least 10 vans set for the night. Caravan site owners should realise that getting this stopped will merely mean motorhome users finding elsewhere to stay, not onto their sites providing facilities not needed at great expense.
Smaller cl type sites I feel provide a useful facility to self contained motorhomes to fill and empty tanks and maybe top up batteries occasionally but most vans have no need of the facilities provided for caravan users at larger sites.
Full marks though to Forestry and Land Scotland for attempting to provide what is really needed.

The trial has been cut short no doubt pressure from campsite owners.
****, I only saw that 2 days ago, was going to use for Scotland trip beginning of September. Grrr

It is a shame. We called in at one today and there were at least 10 vans set for the night. Caravan site owners should realise that getting this stopped will merely mean motorhome users finding elsewhere to stay, not onto their sites providing facilities not needed at great expense.
Smaller cl type sites I feel provide a useful facility to self contained motorhomes to fill and empty tanks and maybe top up batteries occasionally but most vans have no need of the facilities provided for caravan users at larger sites.
Full marks though to Forestry and Land Scotland for attempting to provide what is really needed.
Yeh, at the moment I wouldn't use public showers anyway so £20 plus to have a plot of grass and fill up on water is a bit steep, mental! Hoping we can find plenty of other spots next month.

Was this an honesty box arrangement?
I hope they continue to do well.

Is it the free camping that’s ended and it’s now £5 pn which is what they said it would be after the trial??

Is it the free camping that’s ended and it’s now £5 pn which is what they said it would be after the trial??
It sounds like it is ending due to protests from campsite owners.......not till the end of August though. I wish the campsite owners would realise that they will never force/ coerce folks to use their sites. I know they have overheads to cover, but some of the prices I have seen to park on a piece of grass, .....I know there is access to water and toilet emptying.....is ridiculous.....often as much as a stay in a bed and breakfast.

Last year we needed to sort out our water and black waste, Red squirrel was very expensive and no Hook up to charge our batteries, so with the help of the POI's found a lovely overnight spot, next day used a site that was a reasonable price to sort out our services.

Last edited:
This is on the forestry survey page.

"If you have any questions or comments about the survey or the trial, please email campervantrial@forestryandland.gov.scot"

SWMBO is on a motorhoming Facebook group (sorry about that) and many there are using the email address to express their disappointment and saying that they are cancelling their Scottish autumn trip whilst adding all the other arguments that we here are familiar with.

I shall add my three penneth later today.

I responded with a up beat positive email outlining all the benefits to the local community of embracing self contained units overnight parking that only leave Tyre tracks. I did say i was disappointing that the scheme will be ending at the end of August.
I also said i would be open to a reasonable surcharge for use of the land that could be put into a community fund. Something along the lines of the https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/get-a-permit/ I have used this service a lot and have found it very well run and reasonable pricing.

Have just managed to book a few nights away after months of shielding so a bit apprehensive of wilding at the moment. It has taken days to work out a route - taking in Dungeness, Aldeburgh and Grafham water using small sites and CLs.
THEY ARE NEARLY ALL FULL! or demanding a min 3 day stay for a kings ransom. Where are we taking business away from anyone! They are however
"coming off my Christmas list" when they are touting for my presence after the mattress in a builders van mob decide they prefer Magaluf.

That's better.

I was at Ratagan car park no honesty box or any means of leaving a donation in place. I am confused by their message. The campsites are mainly full, many are closed, so I don’t see what their problem is. Quite frankly this stinks to high hilt. These car parks are well used by cars during the day then empty of cars at night. At Ratagan most turned up at around 8pm and left early next morning. When we left the carpark was empty. All the campsites up there were either closed or had signs saying they were full. Why they are doing this is beyond me.

The red squirrel camp site Glencoe gets my vote for the most expensive site - great location, but for a family of 4 ( with 2 teenage kids) its £50 a night for a tent!!
I can remember this site 27 years ago when it was just a tap in the field and sheep bouncing off the tent in the middle of the night, it was a fiver a night back then

I was at Ratagan car park no honesty box or any means of leaving a donation in place. I am confused by their message. The campsites are mainly full, many are closed, so I don’t see what their problem is. Quite frankly this stinks to high hilt. These car parks are well used by cars during the day then empty of cars at night. At Ratagan most turned up at around 8pm and left early next morning. When we left the carpark was empty. All the campsites up there were either closed or had signs saying they were full. Why they are doing this is beyond me.

Exactly Bill

whats the point of starting a trial then stopping it after only a couple of weeks.Which Councillor with his fingers in the pies of which campsites has stuck his Oar In?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back