Flat Batteries on my Motorhome

I would certainly deem 300 miles range essential. I have driven that distance in what would effectively be a single journey. I'm not aware of charging facilities on board ferries! Cut down the maximum range available and you will thereby almost certainly reduce the average journey length. (It is, after all, the average!) Keep going like that and you might well end up with a range of a few hundred metres!
The kind of use we have for the car, an Electric Car would be totally perfect, with short journeys generally of 10 miles or less.
However, the kind of use we have for the car means an Electric Car would sit unused for most of the time and would be an very expensive lump of motoring compared to a petrol car.
This is the problem currently ... the people for whom they suit best are the same people where it makes no financial sense as their small spend on fuel means there is no real ROI for electric and so no incentive to change. (and 'saving the planet' is no incentive either as there is more pollution created in making a brand new car than just running an existing one)

Last edited:
Great description of the conundrum.
I do lots of twice a day 5 miles each way journeys but I also do 300 mile journeys fairly often.
We might swap one of our cars for a runabout electric of it was more expensive than a second hand diesel.
Or should we keep the diesel Passat for short local journeys and get a £40k Tesla for visiting family?

Most cars here go about 2/3 miles at most to shops and school run in a day, girls may also be able to master parking in one, I said maybe.

The kind of use we have for the car, an Electric Car would be totally perfect, with short journeys generally of 10 miles or less.
However, the kind of use we have for the car means an Electric Car would sit unused for most of the time and would be an very expensive lump of motoring compared to a petrol car.
This is the problem currently ... the people for whom they suit best are the same people where it makes no financial sense as their small spend on fuel means there is no real ROI for electric and so no incentive to change. (and 'saving the planet' is no incentive either as there is more pollution created in making a brand new car than just running an existing one)
A few years back gf drove the 'works pool' Zoe, she was so impressed wanted to buy one, at that time the batteries where rented, and the cost per month was higher than she paid for petrol, added to what was an expensive car to buy it was a none runner.
There are cheaper BEV's coming which should shake up the market, but the thing that interests me is V2G or V2H, at the moment debatable if it makes economic sense, but has the potential to make use of an expensive investment which for the vast majority of people spends 90% of it's time doing bugger all.

Only 90% stood?
At least with a motorhome standing time is 'productive' when we're out and about.

When electric cars come down to around £10 I may buy one if there is at least 15 years left in it like my last car. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back