Fixed bed or not?

Fixed bed or no fixed bed?

• Fixed bed

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • No fixed bed

Votes: 40 25.8%

• Total voters
At the time I voted on this poll I don't think I actually had a bed in place at all, but I knew it was going to be fixed.

Now I have built the bed and been away quite a few times I am even more convinced FIXED is the way to go when possible. Super comfortable bed ready to flop into whenever you want. What's not to like :sleep-027:

depends on the size of the van and the layout . if you have a 9metre van then a fixed bed is an easy choice. some smaller vans have layouts where the bed , when out , interferes with access to cupboards or appliances
i have a MWB panel van without a fixed bed , but once it's up , i can leave it up as long as i want as it doesn't obstruct anything and i can still use it to lounge about on .plus , importantly , when the bed's away , i can still load sheets of ply,furniture etc
so - it depends , so there is no definitive answer

depends on the size of the van and the layout . if you have a 9metre van then a fixed bed is an easy choice. some smaller vans have layouts where the bed , when out , interferes with access to cupboards or appliances
i have a MWB panel van without a fixed bed , but once it's up , i can leave it up as long as i want as it doesn't obstruct anything and i can still use it to lounge about on .plus , importantly , when the bed's away , i can still load sheets of ply,furniture etc
so - it depends , so there is no definitive answer

Our Campscout is classed as having a fixed bed, but it is easily lifted out of way, or removed completely from van. I've carried sheet material, fridgefreezers, washing machines, armchairs etc

On vans you are more likely to use them for everyday use and carrying stuff as Nigel says but you would have to use cab or hab doors to get things in ours so less likely and useless as a load carrier really. It is what suits though and at different stages of life you want different things, maybe Caz would prefer the bed a little lower so she can get in with a step but I dont think so because it 'looks' right as it is, (loads of storage under even with 140ltr tank, eberspacher and calorifier).

There isn't a right or wrong answer as its what suits you, there are downsides to most things and its finding what meets your needs and wants best :)

Ideally would love a fixed bed, but we are limited to length for going in the driveway. So feel for us it’s better to go for more daytime room as we use it more in the winter months.

This is something you really need to consider.. fixed or not.
Our first motorhome had a U shaped rear lounge where the main bed had to made up every night.
"No problem" said my wife, "I will do that".
2 and a half years later "I am sick of making the bed every night".
So, an expensive motorhome exchange took place, and now we have a fixed bed, :)

At the time I voted on this poll I don't think I actually had a bed in place at all, but I knew it was going to be fixed.

Now I have built the bed and been away quite a few times I am even more convinced FIXED is the way to go when possible. Super comfortable bed ready to flop into whenever you want. What's not to like :sleep-027:

I'll tell you what's not to like.
Because we like to be tidy, it takes me longer to straighten out the duvet, pillows and bottom sheet, on the fixed bed, as it did to put away the "made up" bed, in our previous motorhome.

We could, of course, be like slobs, and just pull the curtain around it, but we do have standards, which we both like to adhere to.

As regards "A" class motorhomes, they wouldn't be for me, 'cos I like an afternoons kip.
Also, most "A" class, are a pain to work on, because of the restricted access, under the bonnet, which means you pay more for professional servicing/repairs, due to the extra time that it takes, or you suffer the pain, if you carry out your own maintenance.

Think, before you buy one!

I'll tell you what's not to like.
Because we like to be tidy, it takes me longer to straighten out the duvet, pillows and bottom sheet, on the fixed bed, as it did to put away the "made up" bed, in our previous motorhome.

We could, of course, be like slobs, and just pull the curtain around it, but we do have standards, which we both like to adhere to.

As regards "A" class motorhomes, they wouldn't be for me, 'cos I like an afternoons kip.
Also, most "A" class, are a pain to work on, because of the restricted access, under the bonnet, which means you pay more for professional servicing/repairs, due to the extra time that it takes, or you suffer the pain, if you carry out your own maintenance.

Think, before you buy one!

I would have thought an "A" class motorhome would be ideal for an afternoons kip. Why would it not be suitable?

I voted for fixed bed but to me any seat long enough to lie on comfortably is a fixed bed as I travel solo - so if there's two seats one is a fixed bed and the other is for sitting on. Just a shame my van doesn't have any seats that long and the dog chooses the longest one to lay on so I'm stuck with the swivel passenger seat and it makes it difficult for a kip in the afternoon. :sleep-040:

I would have thought an "A" class motorhome would be ideal for an afternoons kip. Why would it not be suitable?

Because, in most of the "A" class that I have seen, the pull down bed, restricts the living area, when it's in use.

I did seriously consider a new one, specifying NO pull down bed, but had concerns about possible resale issues, so didn't go ahead.
The one that I was really interested in, was a Belgian built Maess, which had a monocoque, and for the cab, a "stretched" either Fiat, or Merc front, that looked like a traditional van, so avoiding the under bonnet access problems.

Fixed, after our first 3mobth trip couldn’t be arsed to make up bed every day.
We manage with corner cut off
I snuggle up against the wall and she who needs to get out at least once every night curls up on the edge.
We both find it ok.
Reduces length of van to 7m.

Fixed bed is always no1 on our wish list. Most people spend roughly 50% of there time in the van in bed. A bed made up from a seat is a compromise on what’s needed for a good bed.

Fixed is often drop down on newer vans though.

Preference/suitably

As title....down to blah blah.....convenience v size of van wanted/fits on driveway. Not sure why you would spend 50% of time in a bed (2 posts up) ?? We have 6m U-shaped lounge van which just fits on drive but we love the versatility of where it can go where longer ones won't. (Oh...happily spend 4 months + in it wintering in Spain) The "just being able to flop into fixed bed" err...well, we lob our quilts onto bench seats in less than 2 mins and actually relax on top still enjoying the view through the large windows as we chill !!
Then TV when darkness....Each can nod off/ go to loo without disturbing the other. When waking up we both have panoramic views which some fixed bed scenarios don't. One of us can get up and go for walk/shower whilst the other nods on. People in bigger vans have admitted ours is a better use of space.
Having said all that........fully appreciate how others value their layout/fixed bed.....but can honestly say if money and driveway were no object.....wouldn't have longer van or fixed bed. Can manage without the garage too !!! Maja07

Fixed for sure. It is a great hassle to do and undo your bed especially if you like to have short naps during the day.

Fixed bed for us too! But with centre section completely removable for when it is needed for carrying 8x4 sheets, pipes etc! The conversion was also done so the the centre slats can be removed to enable large items to be put in the garage and then replaced & bed put back over the top. Suits us and means we still have a mwb van with the benefits of being shorter.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back