First Trip/Covid19

linkshouse

I've posted this in Motorhome builder as it kind of relates to a build I have just finished, but thought I would here too to garner peoples views/opinions...

Now that the van is all done we were planning a first little jaunt away. It was going to be in early April as Marlene had a hospital appointment in Aberdeen at the end of next week (couldn't do that in the van as we can't leave our dog in the van all day at the hospital, plus I'd struggle with the parking).

However, due to Covid19 the hospital have cancelled her appointment and told her to stay away.

So...

We were thinking that maybe we would use the ferry booking and get away in the van a bit earlier.

But...

The reason Marlene was going to the hospital in the first place was due to breathing difficulties so I'm not sure that going anywhere is such a good idea.

We would be heading to the Scottish Highlands so we would be well and truly isolated but there is still the ferries and we would inevitably be visiting some shops.

We/I'm champing at the bit to give the van a whirl but I'm thinking it might be a bit reckless.

Apart from shopping (which you could do alone) you are almost self-isolating.
Really depends on the weather if wet and windy not much fun and risky (cold/'flu)
And make sure you can get home quickly..So no ferries (except the short "Loch crossing ones"). Bridge to Sky
So not reckless but take care !

Apart from shopping (which you could do alone) you are almost self-isolating.
Really depends on the weather if wet and windy not much fun and risky (cold/'flu)
And make sure you can get home quickly..So no ferries (except the short "Loch crossing ones"). Bridge to Sky
So not reckless but take care !
Yes, I had the same thought about shopping.

My worry is that my impatience to "try out" the new van is flavouring my logic. Marlene is a keen as I am, but I know she's worried.

Screenshot (60).png

mmm its a difficult call. I think that you can self isolate in a van as well as anywhere else . I would stick to mainland then its easier if you need help and the ferries have stopped. We are in Spain where they are asking us all to stay in the house and are going to try and stop road traffic for all but essential visits (food, work etc?) One would hope that medical emergency travel would be ok but we will see.
Bottom line ,I would take the van out but keep away from other people as much as possible and stay close to home for emergencies . Others may see life differently though

I would say go and enjoy your van and see the sights, but stay within a distance that will let you get home using just roads (so no ferries) and with no need to refuel (so no more than say 200 miles from home) and have enough provisions for the planned length of your trip.
I would think there would be plenty to see and enjoy within those confines in a country as varied as the UK?

I would say go and enjoy your van and see the sights, but stay within a distance that will let you get home using just roads (so no ferries) and with no need to refuel (so no more than say 200 miles from home) and have enough provisions for the planned length of your trip.
I would think there would be plenty to see and enjoy within those confines in a country as varied as the UK?
I am inclined to agree, unfortunately the flaw with that plan is that we live on Westray, one of Orkney’s northern isles so need to take two ferries just to get the Scotland mainland.

Marlene and I have too’d and fro’d on this, this morning and decided that it would be prudent to stay at home.

I think there would be little risk of exposure in the Scottish Highlands, however, as has been mentioned should a situation occur we could find ourselves miles from the nearest help.

Just get up and go - enjoy mainland Scotland in the spring.
Stock up before you go and do your shopping off peak.
If you do pick it up then you are well placed to self isolate.
If the worst happens and you need hospital attention then you can get it where you are driving to main centre.

Last edited:
Most shops stay open quite late these days and are pretty empty (of people) in the evenings. This is when we have been doing our shopping. You could buy stuff that is wrapped then you could wipe it down when you get back to the van...

Just back from 4 weeks round Scotland and north east England. Apart from two or three quick dashes round supermarkets and occasional fuel top ups we haven’t been near a soul. Basically we’ve been just as isolated as we are at home. Thinking of going back for more of the same in a week or two. I wonder if a supermarket will deliver to a van in their own car park! ?

No brainer stay well clear of the mainland. Would you want to take this crap back to the islands.
I hear what you say but I had to smile at the furore at the imminent arrival of the first cruise liner of the season, coming from Shetland where they had a confirmed case. In the end the cruise liner didn’t call.

The reason it made me smile was that of course the three times weekly visit by the Northlink ferry between Lerwick, Kirkwall, and Aberdeen was fine, as were the regular ferries and plane arrivals from Mainland!

Just back from 4 weeks round Scotland and north east England. Apart from two or three quick dashes round supermarkets and occasional fuel top ups we haven’t been near a soul. Basically we’ve been just as isolated as we are at home. Thinking of going back for more of the same in a week or two. I wonder if a supermarket will deliver to a van in their own car park! ?
That would be "click and collect", so yes.

In the end we settled for a one-nighter in Kirkwall.

The MOT expired on the van during the conversion so I needed to take it over the Kirkwall for that. There were no morning crossings available for a couple of weeks so we opted for an evening crossing, overnight in Kirkwall then back to Westray in the afternoon.

We overnighted in town opposite Tesco and Lidl supermarkets -

C5B06736-5A0F-4876-9E52-276AAE4B4CC1.jpeg

Shopping in Tesco the following morning was an eye opener -

811AF7B2-837F-4F7F-8DAE-3FC2A1C44220.jpeg

We had expected there to be no hand wash, sanitiser, or toilet paper (from the news) but we were surprised at how little there was of pretty much everything, even pet food!

Anyway, with the MOT not till the afternoon we took a run over to the Broch of Birsay where Marlene stayed in the van and I took Oscar for a good long walk -

F07D0403-624D-440C-AB3D-8C29B16D67F4.jpeg

Then, time fo a brew, back to Kirkwall for a quick shop in Lidl before the MOT. It turned out to be a very quick shop as Lidl was even worse than Tesco, there was next to nowt on the shelves!

Crazy or what!

All in all though it was a useful ride out, the heater worked well and we were snug and warm on a cold day/night. We did discover a couple of little wrinkles/changes that we want to make and, most importantly, the van sailed through its MOT!

@jacquigem

Sorry about that. Thanks for the like. Read the bits at the top and didn't scroll down far enough and missed the pics. Anyway sounded like a good idea plugging MH in and sitting on the drive.

Keep Safe everyone.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back