Finding TV reception

• Thread starter Deleted member 38455
  • Start date

Deleted member 38455

Couldn’t be easier and it’s free to use.
First find out the postcode for wherever you happen to be by using this site : https://www.whatsmypostcode.com/#main Copy it to clipboard.
Next ...
Paste in the 'transmitter check' on this bbc site, (you’ll need to select freeview and just put house number two).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/check-for-transmitter-faults/#/undefined

you end up with a map and direction of all available local transmitters. Just align your TV aerial to point to the nearest one. You also need to know where North is but there’s plenty of apps that will do this.

DAB89C9B-036E-4589-A256-C42B31342562.jpg

if you save both links directly to Homepage and then put both in a dedicated folder , it will speed the whole process up for wherever your travels take you ...
4B846009-6188-489F-BC42-4E309F3ACD03.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had couple of nights up at Torver and had very good TV and 4G coverage from High Man.

Cheating a bit because I had a hand in putting cable up through Grizedale to the transmitter a few years back. For once we were welcomed in Coniston when everyone got proper signal.

Useful little link though, thank you.

Cheers

H

Fortunately we don't have to do that directional thing because we use a stubby little aerial fixed on the roof, as you see on loads of wagons. Only failed to get reception once and that was up in South Shields and people with those fancy gadgees on a stick were doing no better we discovered.

If it doesn't work we have to talk to each other.

Cheers

H

This one is much easier
33A039F6-4A6C-4528-A3EF-578D605174EE.jpeg
first page click on GPS don’t need a postcode
FBB9560A-2033-4E9A-8248-D83E56DF42DE.png
it brings up the local antenas
578DEFB0-8BBA-4B09-8357-60F774DD91E8.png
the nearest are normally coloured in green but I am in a rubbish signal area
8BFBBE87-23C0-43C5-B1D7-0AD8B83D77D5.png
when you click on the nearest it gives you direction and strength it all takes seconds.

Fortunately we don't have to do that directional thing because we use a stubby little aerial fixed on the roof, as you see on loads of wagons. Only failed to get reception once and that was up in South Shields and people with those fancy gadgees on a stick were doing no better we discovered.

If it doesn't work we have to talk to each other.

Cheers

H
I use it so it tells which window to Chuck my stubby Ariel out of. 😂😂

Not if you are in the middle of nowhere with no houses.
Don't forget you have to re tune the TV as well if in a different area
Indeed so.
Each time this kind of thing comes up, it makes me wonder why the designers of TVs such as Avtex and Cellos that are made to go into Caravans and Motorhomes don't have a way to store settings for a few different 'favourite' locations so you can just call them up rather than having to rescan every time.
(that is a feature on the software on the Hauppauge WinTV setup that runs on PCs so definately doable).

Why not use the App DTV Antenna, shows where all transmitters are to your location.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201012-151730.png
    Screenshot_20201012-151730.png
    450.4 KB · Views: 120
I use the app "UK Aerial Alignment"

It shows you on a map and where the transmitters are. Very useful is that it will let you zoom in and see a satellite view of where you are to avoid the need to work out where north is.

Screenshot_20201012-153311.jpg

Why not use the App DTV Antenna, shows where all transmitters are to your location.
I’ve Apple devices only, it looks a good app your suggestion but it is available on Google Play and is for Android phones only ...

There is a much easier, quicker and more reliable way. Just use a tv signal strength meter and simply turn your aerial to the strongest signal indicated. Doesn't rely on a phone signal either!
Lots of types available and cheap.
We use THIS type as it's easy to see the LEDs but it also raises in pitch, so handy if the aerial is further away.

Last edited:
On the subject of tv reception, I’m on Valencia Camper park and just been watching Eurosport. However not as it seems. I have a12year old Camos dome receiver with an Avtex tv. This far south it’s impossible to lock on to a satellite with the small dome but being bored one night a while back I tried all satellites available on my receiver and none would lock on. As an experiment I then selected a satellite and scanned with it. Lo and behold it found some stations. Now have Eurosport (but German commentary), French24 in English, Sky News International and numerous German and Arabic stations!! Still not locked on to any satellite

Last edited:
I have the Avtex aerial same as Annie that I use as a back up for when the wind is severe and I don’t want to chance the roof mounted satellite dish.
To date I have only used it 4/5 time and just stand it on the worktop, slowly turn it whilst watching the tv screen and always get a decent reception.
I then just check the signal strength & quality on the Avtex tv and tweet it if required. I have to say it’s the best aerial I have had and far superior to the roof mounted one I had on my pvc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back