Fiat Van MOT Failure mainly due to ECU Fault Code B100 / B1000 Air Bag. Help.

magpus

Free Member
Hello,
Just wondered if anyone can help with recommending a possible mobile site that can help.

Our motorhome Van failed it's MOT due to headlight too high nearside and also air bag light on dash.

The notes on the MOT show Fault Code B100 possibly B1000 from what I have read on forums.
The notes also show ECU internal fault, suspect new control module needed and reprogramming. Advise customer to go to Fiat as unable to reprogramme.

I have tried one local Fiat dealer that has failed to get back to me despite emails and voicemail left.
Another local Fiat dealer has such appalling reviews on trustpilot, that I would prefer to leave them alone.

I saw click mechanic and they said no, so I am getting worried as to how we can get it sorted.
Just wondered if anyone could recommend anyone whether a garage or preferably someone that can come out to us.

We are in the Essex area, CO5 postcode.

Thankyou, but looks way out of my comfort zone having to remove a module and sending it.
I wouldn't know where to start.
I would just prefer someone else to do the work and know it's done properly, rather my bodge ways!!

Just had another thought. A loose wire under either front seat can cause the light to come on. W
Worth while haveing a look under them and checking all the connectors.

I don't know where the module is on the Fiat but on a Peugeot (usually the same) sit on the pssanger seat with you feet on the floor and the module is under the carpet bout 6 inches to the right of your right big toe,
Removal of the module is easy of the module, ignition off; undo 2 nuts and take off 2 spade connectors.
Talk to crash data and they will tell you how.
Otherwise get your local garage or auto electrician to remove the module for you and sent to crash data.
A replacement module will be around £600 - £700.

Last edited:
I think you're allowed to drive the vehicle to a pre-arranged garage to have faults fixed, even after a failed MOT?
Would that not be easier? Does it have to be a Fiat garage for warranty or some such?

Maybe a recommended non-Fiat garage nearer to where you live would be easier than finding a mobile mechanic?
But am I right in thinking you've been told that may be difficult if it's an electrical fault that only a Fiat garage can fix?

"If your car has failed and the date on your certificate has passed, you can only drive your car to be repaired or to a pre-arranged MOT appointment, and only if it is completely roadworthy at all times."

I would argue that the headlamp is pretty much a minor issue, especially if you're driving it to be fixed in daylight!
As for the airbag issue, unless it is a fault that would make the airbag suddenly release when driving (could be dangerous), that is also perhaps not a major issue?

Fortunately we have an old van without airbags.
Makes for a much simpler life, even if those who are OCD on 'elf and safety might disagree. 😉 🖕

I think you're allowed to drive the vehicle to a pre-arranged garage to have faults fixed, even after a failed MOT?
Would that not be easier? Does it have to be a Fiat garage for warranty or some such? Maybe a recommended non-Fiat garage nearer to where you live would be easier than finding a mobile mechanic?

"If your car has failed and the date on your certificate has passed, you can only drive your car to be repaired or to a pre-arranged MOT appointment, and only if it is completely roadworthy at all times."

I would argue that the headlamp is pretty much a minor issue, especially if you're driving it to be fixed in daylight!
As for the airbag issue, unless it is a fault that would make the airbag suddenly release when driving (could be dangerous), that is also perhaps not a major issue?

Fortunately we have an old van without airbags.
Makes for a much simpler life, even if those who are OCD on 'elf and safety might disagree. 😉 🖕
The issue appears to be the reprogramming if the module is replaced. The garage that did the MOT is a Vauxhall garage where we have our cars repaired and serviced, but they recommend taking to a Fiat dealer due to the reprogramming. The Fiat dealers close to us, one has still not got back to us and the other has a hideous reputation. I will have a look at the " crash data " place but would prefer someone to do everything for me. Thanks for the reply

Any decent local mechanic or autoelectrician should be able to remove and refit the unit, allowing you to post the unit to crash data. You need to be aware that when refitting there is a specific regime to follow, not difficult, really a matter of time sequencing.
The airbag will not trigger whilst the unit is faulty. So said my Fiat/Hymer dealer when mine packed up. Fortunately mine was replaced under warranty.

Davy

I know a chap had a pug, 3 dealers and many attempts to sort the brain out, in the end a polish chap did the job for buttons, he put the brain in the deep freeze overnight and reprogrammed a few days later, problem sorted.

When did the light come on and stay on? Has it been since mot?
If so you could remove terminals from engine battery for 24 hours on some vehicles it can resets codes, if you don't have a code reader.
Light has been on for the last few weeks. It makes an alert noise to draw your attention to it.
Since the MOT the dash still shows the symbol and the noise still happens. Thanks for the suggestion of removing battery terminals, worth a try.

Any decent local mechanic or autoelectrician should be able to remove and refit the unit, allowing you to post the unit to crash data. You need to be aware that when refitting there is a specific regime to follow, not difficult, really a matter of time sequencing.
The airbag will not trigger whilst the unit is faulty. So said my Fiat/Hymer dealer when mine packed up. Fortunately mine was replaced under warranty.

Davy
Many thanks. I am looking into many of the suggestions on here and hopefully will get it sorted!

I know a chap had a pug, 3 dealers and many attempts to sort the brain out, in the end a polish chap did the job for buttons, he put the brain in the deep freeze overnight and reprogrammed a few days later, problem sorted.
Sounds very similar to what my doctor prescribed a few years back. I've never bean quiet the some sinse, but I'm willing to try it again ! B-)

Whatever you do it will probably only be Fiat that can reset the airbag light anyway. Best going to to the fiat dealership to ask personally. No point in getting Tom Dick and Harry involved when fiat will have to reset in the end. You never know if you go to the dealership rather than phone and email they might sort it while you wait and it might even be free.

Most mobile electricians and mechanics have diagnostic laptops that are far superior to cheap code readers the fault could be any one of the many senses or multiplugs on the system . The ecu is usually fitted on the center line of the vehicle be tween or forward of the front seats it is a small silver box about 3x2 inches with a multi plug . Option 1 contact ecu repairer for advice 2 contact mobile or repairer shop .3 main dealer that should have a competent auto spark and dedicated diagnostics.

Most mobile electricians and mechanics have diagnostic laptops that are far superior to cheap code readers the fault could be any one of the many senses or multiplugs on the system . The ecu is usually fitted on the center line of the vehicle be tween or forward of the front seats it is a small silver box about 3x2 inches with a multi plug . Option 1 contact ecu repairer for advice 2 contact mobile or repairer shop .3 main dealer that should have a competent auto spark and dedicated diagnostics.
It’s ok having the diagnostic equipment and laptop etc but it’s the software that’s important and sometimes this is only available to the main dealers.

Has the vehicle battery dropped in voltage?
There has been a few faults with low voltage illuminating the warning light. IIRC it's a smart module which will reset after a number of successful start/stop cycles. As long as the voltage is kept up. link

We had the same airbag dash light on our fiat last year. Sometimes it can be a loose wire causing this under the seat. Ron looked and wriggled wires no joy, so did the mechanic.
So our local garage not a fiat dealer took the ECU out put a new one back in and reprogrammed it.
We are in Shropshire so not local for you but I watched him do it whilst sat in the passenger seat.
He came to us to test it on his diagnostic machine but we went to him for the repair.
I think right mechanic will sort you out good luck.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back