Fiat starter.

Topmast

Hi everyone.
My 2006 Fiat van starter has been getting more lazy recently and yesterday when we had first frost it turned over to slowly to start , later when it was warmer it started well.The battery is 6 months old and reads 12.8 with a meter ,I suspect it could be starter solenoid,I have checked earth leads but they seem good quality and in decent order. Just to add it starts well when hot.Before I take the starter off am I missing anything.Thanks for any advice.

Could and sounds more like worn brushes, but do remove earth leads and clen well first, if it was solinoid it will just click or do nothing, starters dont last forever.

earth leads have been a problem with fiats the particular one known to cause a problem is approx 8" long and connects between the top of the gearbox and the chassie its usualy advised to replace it rather than just clean it

Battery efficiency drops off quickly with temperature, so any deficiency elsewhere with solenoid, starter brushes, earth straps, cable connectors etc shows up. Next time it doesn't start just have a feel around everything in the circuit, motor all the cables, connectors, solenoid etc and the culprit will be generating heat and getting warm.

Starter and Alternators are an exchange item so not silly money most big towns will have a motor factors, but an 06 model may need to be ordered, so a deposit needed until you show up with your old one, possibly not a bad idea to swap it out anyway, ours is an 07 but I did it when we got the van and a new alternator just for peace of mind.

Sorry if this is basic but ......, you do use the heater before starting don't you?

Wait till Glow plugs orange light go's out on dash when ignition just turned on,if diesel-powered in the not so cold months.

I've driven vans for business and pleasure for about 40 years but unless the screen is actually frozen I have never needed to use the glow plugs.

Thanks for all your replies,unfortunately everything over here is now closed for a few days so will have to wait until next week.In the mean time may I wish you all a peaceful Christmas and good travels next year.

I've driven vans for business and pleasure for about 40 years but unless the screen is actually frozen I have never needed to use the glow plugs.
You've not had a choice for many many years ...
Last thing I drove that had a heater plug position/switch was one of our old landrovers .

Last thing I drove that had a heater plug position/switch was one of our old landrovers .

A lot still use the first click on ignition for heater, second for starter.

A lot still use the first click on ignition for heater, second for starter.
Everything I've driven over the last 20 odd years van wise has had ecu controlled plugs ...

I've obviously missed out on stuff with the option to manually control the plugs

Mine goes out after 15 sec but she will start without, except on the coldest freezing days, old school engine.

Everything I've driven over the last 20 odd years van wise has had ecu controlled plugs ...

I've obviously missed out on stuff with the option to manually control the plugs
Guess we drive different vehicles.

My last diesel car (2010) had ECU controlled plugs, my MoHo (2015) doesn't.

I just turn the key it starts, if the glow plugs come on they can't be doing much if the engine is already running, we do the same on the car.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back