Fiat Ducato intermittent starting problem

Roger Haworth

Free Member
My Fiat Ducato based campervan has had intermittent starting problems for years now. The starter motor turns the engine over fine but it sometimes just won't start however many times you try! There seems to be no pattern to these problems. Sometimes it won't start from cold, other times it won't start from hot. My local garage has done the electrical fault finding analysis on numerous occasions and say they don't know what's wrong with it.

It is a 2008 Ducato with the 100 Multijet 2198 cc engine. It's the one with the chain driven camshaft.

Has anyone experienced this problem on a van of this type and if so did they manage to cure the problem and what type of repair was needed?

Is it an engine immobilizer problem, do you have an extra light on the dashboard or a light missing when it won't start ?
Nothing of that kind. All lights are as normal when the van won't start. However the idea that it might be something to do with the engine immobiliser is interesting.

Check it's not a faulty key ,have you a spare key to try long term test ,these keys are tuned to the immobilisers and can often go faulty ,has anyone tried to retune the keys if it's this type ,you will have a credit type card with radio code and a code to open up the ecu to tune keys in this has to ( be done by a professional ) albeit other can do it auto sparks etc

Check it's not a faulty key ,have you a spare key to try long term test ,these keys are tuned to the immobilisers and can often go faulty ,has anyone tried to retune the keys if it's this type ,you will have a credit type card with radio code and a code to open up the ecu to tune keys in this has to ( be done by a professional ) albeit other can do it auto sparks etc
I've got the blue card with the codes on it. Both my keys have had problems starting. Do you think it would be worth getting them reprogrammed or does the fact that both keys don't work from time to time indicate that the problem lies elsewhere?

I've got the blue card with the codes on it. Both my keys have had problems starting. Do you think it would be worth getting them reprogrammed or does the fact that both keys don't work from time to time indicate that the problem lies elsewhere?
There is a pickup coil around the ignition switch to read the chip in the key, it might not be an immobilizer fault but it is possible that its the cause.

I would get them checked even when there are no faults you should rotate the use of programmed keys as they can go out of sync and not be recognised by the ecu (electronic control unit) giving intermittently bad starting or non starting even though engine spinning over but not catching to start

I thought the immobiliser would disable the starter motor, if that is the case, and as the engine is turning over, I would be looking at something like the starter motor itself or the fuel cutoff circuit.
You need to find a garage with a proper time served mechanic.

If the immobiliser is faulty or the key is not recognised the engine will spin over at normal speed but will just not catch it sounds like there's nothing wrong with the starter motor imho

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back