Ferry cost to france

Ashamed to say we lashed out on our Newcastle to Aberdeen return crossing this year going and returning Commodore Class Deluxe. All in all with superb cabin, complementary bar and breakfast, and pre booked dinners it came to over £1300 return. Well we were on holiday and it really is a great way to cross the channel.

Depends on our destination but we prefer the Chunnel for ease and tend to use it at least one way. Our other preferred route is Portsmouth to St Malo with an overnight cabin, gets us into St Malo early morning ready for a run down the west coast etc. Cost wise we generally pay around £160 for the Chunnel and around £320 for the ferry. St. Malo saves us a lot of miles and an added bonus is that the lorries and mh's are unloaded first so you avoid the queues at passport control, interestingly I've seen them also load returning French cars on the lorry deck 🤔🤔😃.

We booked again with dfds newhaven to dieppe return got my nice person discount which made it £342 return
I think thats a great price esp as saving all them miles to dieppe from chunnel
how do you go and compare costs
Seems expensive?
Maybe summer prices

Unless I’m going east, Belgiumish, of course I’d use the Chunnel or the Dunkirk ferry. Otherwise it’s Dieppe every time. Wouldn’t touch P&O with a barge pole. Don’t tell me if they gave me a freebie, I’d use them, cos 1, they’d never give a freebie, and , 2, I’d tell them ,if they could afford to give free tickets away, I’d ask the why they couldn’t pay their staff the minimum wage.

Unless I’m going east, Belgiumish, of course I’d use the Chunnel or the Dunkirk ferry. Otherwise it’s Dieppe every time. Wouldn’t touch P&O with a barge pole. Don’t tell me if they gave me a freebie, I’d use them, cos 1, they’d never give a freebie, and , 2, I’d tell them ,if they could afford to give free tickets away, I’d ask the why they couldn’t pay their staff the minimum wage.
We're the same as far as p&j go but brittany have been tied with them but principals is after how they treated the staff

We haven’t booked anything yet but plan to cross Dover to Calais on Irish Ferries late Aug. or early Sep. we converted our Tesco Vouchers into 2*£75 and 1*£40 before they changed the rate of exchange with “Partners” from 3 times to two times. We have a year to use them. If we pay the flexible fare, one way, with an £75 voucher we pay about £50……… Every little helps!

Last edited:
We haven’t booked anything yet but plan to cross Dover to Calais on Irish Ferries late Aug. or early Sep. we converted our Tesco Vouchers into 2*£75 and 1*£40 before they changed the rate of exchange with “Partners” from 3 times to two times. We have a year to use them. If we pay the flexible fare, one way, with an £75 voucher we pay about £50……… Every little helps!
Tight aberdonian=nah no chance ,quite right mate there's a few I spoke to who didn't realise the change and lost out a fait bit
hope you are both well c u aboot I hope mate
all the best Fiona n me

Used dieppe to Newhaven for the first time last month. We normally use the tunnel, but since they have stopped the frequent traveller scheme we have been looking at alternatives. Dieppe town is a great place to spend some time in and the aire at the beach is just five minutes from the ferry. We will be using this crossing in the future. The only problem was the road to and from Newhaven took a while to get to the M25 and got stuck at Heathrow. Next time we will head towards Portsmouth and head up past Oxford, that was our route when we travelled Portsmouth to
le Havre.

Used dieppe to Newhaven for the first time last month. We normally use the tunnel, but since they have stopped the frequent traveller scheme we have been looking at alternatives. Dieppe town is a great place to spend some time in and the aire at the beach is just five minutes from the ferry. We will be using this crossing in the future. The only problem was the road to and from Newhaven took a while to get to the M25 and got stuck at Heathrow. Next time we will head towards Portsmouth and head up past Oxford, that was our route when we travelled Portsmouth to
le Havre.
You reckon the M25 passed Heathrow is bad? Don't try the Essex side, over the Dartford bridge then.:mad:

le Havre.
Shut it was a pita today as the feds had to stop all lanes to clear a rts this was after the roadworks we were in for miles but the weather was great and we ended up having p,e Ty time so stress level was zero stopped twice for a coffee and a dump😡but I managed to pass through that as well 😳
we are basking here few wines and beer been fed all great mate
by the way Heathrow is a joke!!!!!M25

M25 is for tourist, everyone else goes straight through the middle, easy and free if you get a NI library bus number plate made up. :p:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, train for me across channel, just so easy, even if it is stupid money these days.

M25 is for tourist, everyone else goes straight through the middle, easy and free if you get a NI library bus number plate made up. :p:ROFLMAO:

Anyway, train for me across channel, just so easy, even if it is stupid money these days.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,. Welcome to the biggest car park in Europe.
The M25 is only a minor inconvenience by comparison 🙄

Those where the 'good old days' when it was the north circular and Dartford tunnel, our first cross channel ferry experience was 1980, we gave ourselves 4 hours extra in case of holdups, got to terminal just after scheduled crossing time only to be told they hadn't managed to dock ferry yet due to cross winds, we then watched as several tugboats struggled to get the ferry docked, the worse ferry crossing we've ever had.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,. Welcome to the biggest car park in Europe.
The M25 is only a minor inconvenience by comparison 🙄

Could be worse. Had the pleasure of driving through Brussels a couple of weeks ago, now that's a proper car park.

We went on Hull to Rotterdam last autumn. Much easier for us to get to(midlands).Having an overnight cabin was all part of the holiday. We arrived about 8.30 am.This gave us all day to get to where we wanted.
At one time we always went for the cheapest crossing. Now we prefer to go for the easiest port to travel to.

We went on Hull to Rotterdam last autumn. Much easier for us to get to(midlands).Having an overnight cabin was all part of the holiday. We arrived about 8.30 am.This gave us all day to get to where we wanted.
At one time we always went for the cheapest crossing. Now we prefer to go for the easiest port to travel to.
Myself, and her indoors, went to Hull to Rotterdam (and back) just before Christmas last year 2022 (albeit in the car and not a motorbike) decided to book one of the 2 posh Club Stateroom cabins .. bloody excellent! proper VIP service. We were met by our own valet (concierge) who met with us on the car deck and carried our bags to the cabin. He attended our every need and even organized serving our dinner in the restaurant. It was a great experience and he even collected our purchases from the shop and delivered them to our car in the morning.. it cost a fair few quid but so what! the stateroom cabin even had a proper bath as well as a shower.. (see attached pic and try not to throw up)
  • Personal shopper & carry to car service in the Morning (Luggage and shopping).
I will deffo do it again as I much prefer driving up to Hull rather than driving down to Dover from Birmingham any day

Attachments

• 1ba488b0-5080-4a1a-b840-dc0593c49bba.jpg
    1ba488b0-5080-4a1a-b840-dc0593c49bba.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 54
We usually use the Chunnel, but for some strange reason, we booked DFDS Dover to Calais for June and September! (No, I have no idea what possessed me!) We went out for ten days in June and outbound was pretty good and on time. Not many crowds in the lounge. On the return, we caught a ferry 90 minutes earlier and almost had the lounge to ourselves! (OK, there were people, but none of those b%$ody mini humans running about!) It was relaxing and I enjoyed it a bit. But was constantly thinking that we could have been 100K down the road by the time we'd docked and disembarked!

We paid £220 for each return journey, compared to the over £400 quoted on the Chunnel site. I saved around £160, but now I feel dirty! :p:ROFLMAO::p⛴️

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back