External fitting - Chinese diesel night heater.

Mtbcol

Hello all and Happy New year to you all!
I have decided to.purchase the above soon in the hope that we may eventually be able to do some wilding during the winter months.
For reasons of space, noise and extra safety I have decided to fit this externally to out 2011 Transit van ( currently under conversion). However looking at the various external metal mounting boxes available the prices seem prohibitive, most being more than the heater unit itself. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience of making this box from wood? My first thoughts would be safety dye to heat from the unit.
Any thoughts, ideas, or experience would be gratefully received.
Thank you.
Coli .🙂

I would have said metal box.

But then I thought, many boats have them installed in either fibre glass or wooden lockers. May be worth a look at some boating forums for installations. I'll try and find some.

I would have said metal box.

But then I thought, many boats have them installed in either fibre glass or wooden lockers. May be worth a look at some boating forums for installations. I'll try and find some.

This is the sort of thing I mean;

Ok he has quite a large locker there, but he also has a battery in there - which I would not recommend. If you Google 'Boat Chinese diesel heater' installations you should find a few examples. I don't know what regulations cover these though, so check up before you install!

Thanks everyone.
Looks like metal is the way to go. Probably aluminium as suggested easier to work with if I'm going to have a go myself🙂👍

Mine is mounted in the garage of an Autotrail Chieftain, no problems at all, just follow the installation instructions carefully and insulate the exhaust pipe. They are excellent value for money!

Good idea Bazz.

They make good woodburning stoves too.

And Coleman petrol cooker ovens....

DSC06356-1 (3).jpg
DSC06357 (3).jpg

Hi everyone, and thanks for the great ideas.
At the moment it's looking like an ammo box or electrical switch box is the way forward for me just need to get some dimensions of the heater unit to see which would be most suitable 👍

They run quite cool with regards to the casing , but the exhaust does get very hot . The real concern is the electronic components are not well protected inside the unit , which doesn't have any sort of IP rating .

They run quite cool with regards to the casing , but the exhaust does get very hot . The real concern is the electronic components are not well protected inside the unit , which doesn't have any sort of IP rating .
Hi I'm going to go down the ammo or electrical switch gear box after a fair bit of research now. Either of these should make it fairly water proof 🤞🙂

I would mount it inside maybe under a seat or the bottom of a wardrobe, they suck the air in at the back, heat it and blow it out the front, mine blew straight into the living area but some use the ducting.
I would mount it inside like this because it’s going to be recirculating the air, warming up warm air so to speak
Mounting it outside it will be sucking in cold to freezing air which will make it work really hard.
the noise isn’t that bad especially if mounted in a cupboard.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back