Engine oil

I think I would be surprised about an oil light warning after such a short time since a service, unless you have driven many thousands of miles meantime. I'm not familiar with Ducato warning lights (mine's a Renault Master) but, is it a light telling you to check the level or is it the low oil pressure light which is usually yellow or amber. Either way check the level the old fashioned way via the dipstick ASAP.

Maybe the garage under filled with oil at the service.
Worth adding that the oil level display on these vans can be notoriously false ...
I dip the oil once a week (Monday morning ritual)
As I'm up and down the motorway daily between Manchester and Gaydon ...
I've seen it 2 pips down on the display BUT below the bottom mark on the dipstick .

Worth adding that the oil level display on these vans can be notoriously false ...
I dip the oil once a week (Monday morning ritual)
As I'm up and down the motorway daily between Manchester and Gaydon ...
I've seen it 2 pips down on the display BUT below the bottom mark on the dipstick .
Annie posted 'oil light', this is a totally different thing than the oil level display.

Thanks for all your advice today we will check the dipstick but we have to pull it of a sloping drive I will look at the invoice and phone the service garage to double check what they used I get nervous with these engines on the last van I blew the engine at 80,000 miles cost me £5,000 to have it completely cleaned and rebuilt, this engine is just coming up to 79,000 so I am over cautious.

Annie posted 'oil light', this is a totally different thing than the oil level display.
I didn't say it was ....
Just merely pointing out that NOT dipping these vehicles could be an expensive mistake .
As when the oil pressure warning light comes on it can be too late .

I didn't say it was ....
Just merely pointing out that NOT dipping these vehicles could be an expensive mistake .
As when the oil pressure warning light comes on it can be too late .
Some (all?) of the latest model don't even have a dip stick, you are totally dependent on the level display, and as you pointed out this "can be notoriously false"

Some (all?) of the latest model don't even have a dip stick, you are totally dependent on the level display, and as you pointed out this "can be notoriously false"
I'm hoping this one (71 plate)
Will be the last we have ...

As frankly for a work van they are cack
a vehicle without a dipstick and oil level only checkable via going through the menus is frankly ridiculous .

It’s a oil can with a drip of oil in dark orange or red
Is it constantly lit, or intermittent? If constantly don't start the engine until you know why it's lit, check the level with the dipstick, if it's between the filling marks then there's a problem with the pump or pressure sensor, if it's not showing oil on dip stick, then you have lost oil and/or it wasn't filled correctly.

The ford 2.2 were fitted with weak oil pumps, ford recalled their vehicles and changed the oil pumps,
Fiat,Citroen and fiat with the same engine fitted didn’t, instead they chanced it and it seams to have paid off for them,
Although a company a did work for bought 3 instead of the usual sprinters thinking they would save money,
It turned out a very expensive mistake, as all three had to have new engines fitted at between 50 and 70k and Citroen just kept fobing them off on warranty claims

Thanks for all your advice today we will check the dipstick but we have to pull it of a sloping drive I will look at the invoice and phone the service garage to double check what they used I get nervous with these engines on the last van I blew the engine at 80,000 miles cost me £5,000 to have it completely cleaned and rebuilt, this engine is just coming up to 79,000 so I am over cautious.
To be fair both previous vans (boxer then Relay )
Have needed engines at that mileage ...

1st
£15 cold start sensor faulty causing excess diesel to be injected and thinning oil wiping bottom end out
2nd
Head gasket failure dumping coolant into bottom end wiping it out

Current one endless adblue issues and ecu faults ....

Back