Emptying Black Water/Cassette - where?

Having that plastic container gives you a nice bit of extra capacity, you could empty it on the roses when you get home :)

Or put it on next doors roses, or put it on your compost heap.

waste not, want not.

In my opinion you should never use public toilets.

just more ammo for anybody trying to give motorhomers a bad name. Try asking non motorhomers what they think of this practice.

A bit of paranoia here. What's the problem with using a public loo? Has anybody every been asked what they are doing, I doubt it? Again its down to that rare commodity common sense. If you have a problem, wait until its dark and then sneak out. If you have the full shilling, then just empty it at a loo, as it is just the product of a normal human function.

A bit of paranoia here. What's the problem with using a public loo? Has anybody every been asked what they are doing, I doubt it? Again its down to that rare commodity common sense. If you have a problem, wait until its dark and then sneak out. If you have the full shilling, then just empty it at a loo, as it is just the product of a normal human function.

I was challenged at the Lochaline Public Toilet by the Lady from the pier cafe opposite. I politely explained that the contents contained only 'Ones and Twos with no added chemicals (I have a SOG). Soon after, the cleaner arrived by coincidence ? We later made purchases at the cafe........

My preferred method for public toilet disposal is to make an initial recce to establish that the toilets are unoccupied, and test flush as well as dose toilets with air freshener and perhaps have to pre-clean pan !!! Then return to dispose of cassette contents, double flush, clean if neccessary, followed by another dose of air freshener. Yes I do return for a third visit to wash hands!

Alec.

I was challenged at the Lochaline Public Toilet by the Lady from the pier cafe opposite. I politely explained that the contents contained only 'Ones and Twos with no added chemicals (I have a SOG). Soon after, the cleaner arrived by coincidence ? We later made purchases at the cafe........

My preferred method for public toilet disposal is to make an initial recce to establish that the toilets are unoccupied, and test flush as well as dose toilets with air freshener and perhaps have to pre-clean pan !!! Then return to dispose of cassette contents, double flush, clean if neccessary, followed by another dose of air freshener. Yes I do return for a third visit to wash hands!

Alec.
That seems a very honorable way to do it.

I get the impression that some people just dump and run on the basis that they won't be using the facilities.

In my opinion you should never use public toilets.

just more ammo for anybody trying to give motorhomers a bad name. Try asking non motorhomers what they think of this practice.
I totally agree factor in a CL every 3/4 days gives no one the opportunity to get the wrong idea. Reality is not the issue but perception certainly is.

For those with no solar an opportunity to re charge batteries on ehu ,Dump grey and black take on water without robbing public toilets or graveyards.

If you so wish can have a drink etc and sleep without irritants of boy racers the doggers and refer trucks pulling up, subconsciously a Chillax

I cant understand the mentality of folk wandering about planning where to dump their shite that very behaviour in itself is an admittance that it can leave the wrong impression and be confrontational, It seems a strange use of ones time.

Channa

I totally agree factor in a CL every 3/4 days gives no one the opportunity to get the wrong idea. Reality is not the issue but perception certainly is.

For those with no solar an opportunity to re charge batteries on ehu ,Dump grey and black take on water without robbing public toilets or graveyards.

If you so wish can have a drink etc and sleep without irritants of boy racers the doggers and refer trucks pulling up, subconsciously a Chillax

I cant understand the mentality of folk wandering about planning where to dump their shite that very behaviour in itself is an admittance that it can leave the wrong impression and be confrontational, It seems a strange use of ones time.

Channa

Some people simply think their s**t don't stink Andy.

They're wrong!

The way Highland Council has already closed or is planning shutting all the rural loos in a popular tourist area is not just a problem for motorhomers, Highland communities demanding improved public loo provision - BBC News

We had the same problem here in Biggar. The toilets are now run by the community, but its a hard slog. Funding to upgrade the toilets was from the local windfarm and getting people to support by paying a monthly standing order. There is a charge of 40p to use the loos. It was 20p but too many people hold the door open to allow others in free! There is a dedicated band of volunteers who check the toilets at different times; so you might be unlucky and bump into one of them when you are trying to sneak you cassette contents into the loos.

Biggar Community Toilets Appeal -

.... this is great, but has deckboy popped back on here yet?
Maybe he has worked out what to do, and how to do it, but ‘Thanks’ wouldn’t go amiss.

This is a great question and i was going to post a similar one myself.
Judging from the answers there are a variety of options but nothing ideal.
I don't see why there should be an issue with using public toilets as long as left clean and tidy.
I see we have toilets marked on the POIs but i'm guessing there are not black waste sites.
If i'm right perhaps this would be a good additional feature?
If i'm wrong i apologize but haven't use it much yet and it is not particularly easy on my small phone.
I know there is a black waste disposal at Hayling Island Seafront and that is not marked.
Pete

This is a great question and i was going to post a similar one myself.
Judging from the answers there are a variety of options but nothing ideal.
I don't see why there should be an issue with using public toilets as long as left clean and tidy.
I see we have toilets marked on the POIs but i'm guessing there are not black waste sites.
If i'm right perhaps this would be a good additional feature?
If i'm wrong i apologize but haven't use it much yet and it is not particularly easy on my small phone.
I know there is a black waste disposal at Hayling Island Seafront and that is not marked.
Pete
One of the problem with public toilets is that some are on septic tanks and camping toilet chemicals cause problems with their correct operation.

cant say i know about all public toilets but down here if not on mains sewage then the tanks are emptied as they get nearly full. they usually dont recycle and treat themselves , they are just cess pits that an alarm goes off in the local water works . then they get a tanker to go and empty the pit . in summer some of the beach side toilets fill their pits twice a week. but we do at times get a population growth of 20times the normal in peak weeks .

This is my biggest worry with going full time. I have already switched to a sog system which I feel gives me more options, or at least, less guilt! Obviously staying on a campsite every 3 days is the ideal, but not practical, or even an option for many. I certainly can't afford it, I wish I could.
So far, I've managed to mostly empty it at friends' houses but have used public toilets twice already. Surely people should be able to dump their sewage in toilets as long as it is done with care? Better than people feeling they have to dump it in the countryside in the middle of the night like some kind of poo criminal.
The variety of answers /opinions shows that this is an issue for many, although not so much abroad by the sound of it? Another good reason to head across the channel perhaps...

campsite every 3 days is the ideal, but not practical, or even an option for many

Give yourself a larger margin, get a second cassette. We get 7/8 days between empties of our SOG based set up. Mr's can pee in a bottle (and empty anywhere) or pee outside very often and no harm to environment so extends capability. Don't anyone try only doing number 2's in cassette it would be a right job to empty.

Another option is composting wc - well their not really their mostly separation units (and very expensive) BUT deposits of both kinds can be emptied anywhere separate of course with no harm to environment.

That John Harrington & Thomas Crapper are to blame for creating all this sewage malarkey. Keep em separate - no harm!

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised the composting toilet has not come into the European Motorhome scene much more as an alternative to a cassette toilet.
Apart from the significantly higher price as the downside, the disposal of the contents seem to be much easier than a cassette and needs #1) virtually any kind of soft ground and #2) bin bag in a rubbish bin, similar to dog loop bags.

just be aware that human waste cant be used as compost where food is being grown . or where animals could be eating the grass etc
there are time limits .
Safe Sludge Matrix - The Safe Sludge Matrix
thats a sort of guide to be used.
but be veery careful where you get rid of composting toilets they arent safe really.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back