Emptying Black Water/Cassette - where?

deckboy

Most of our trips are to Europe for 6-10 weeks, but for the first time we have spent more than a few days in the van travelling around UK.
Abroad, there is rarely a problem with emptying black water/cassette as there are plenty of aires/areas around with service points to use, even if not stopping for the night.
But on our otherwise very enjoyable 2 weeks around UK this was a real worry. We emptied in public toilets when no one seemed to be around, but can understand locals not being too happy with this, even though we know there is not spillage and the same stuff is going down the pan as would normally be going down. I can't think of any other way that would be considered "good practice".
So, the question is, what do you do, that does not give "wilders" a bad name?

In the uk, if we are out for more than 3 nights we use a campsite for one night and refresh the tanks.

some sites will allow you to restock water and dispose of waste for e a fee - but you have to stop and ask

lots garages will also let you use the toilets or lift a manhole cover . water is available also.
if you cant then dont fill with fuel there .
or rattle a sewage farms gate , that works here in uk or abroad .
water is around in almost every town or village . just take a little at a time . dont hose pipe it .
if you do it looks like your filling the biggest tank ever. folk like to see you possibly struggle a bit with smaller containers .
many places have public toilets so its not really a problem . care and attention wins .

I read a thread somewhere about putting the cassette in a large holdall type of thing so as not to be too obvious.
We happened to have a large blue holdall which would take the cassette, had carry handles and a shoulder strap and was very sturdy too.
Never thought we would have the need for it but on one occasion it worked superbly.
Public toilets in a public car park. Went in first to check if suitable for my intended purpose which luckily it was.
Went back to van, cassette into holdall, and sauntered into public toilets nobody any the wiser.
Emptied, slowly, while flushing (also helps with the noise of emptying) another flush, check as clean as you would wish to find, cassette in holdall return to van.
Only time we have used this method.

Don't carry spare cassette but have one similar to THIS which has large enough cap for cassette to empty into easily got mine from a dairy farmer who was glad to get rid of several at the time

Don't carry spare cassette but have one similar to THIS which has large enough cap for cassette to empty into easily got mine from a dairy farmer who was glad to get rid of several at the time

Thanks again witzend. Just bought two and will pick up from very local in Oldham. x

are you saying this is less obtrusive to carry about than a van cassette ? Surely this means you will have two dirty containers to swill out discreetly if you empty the cassette into this green jobbie ?

There`s no way some of the cassette contents will fit through that small opening :lol-049:

We often wildcamp and empty our cassette toilet on the odd occasion when we use a camp site, which is usually every 3 days, abroad or at home in UK.
Our holidays in the van currently do not exceed two weeks at a time, I don't know how we would be affected on longer stints away, but I suppose we would do what we normally do and budget for a campsite every 3 or 4 days.

I read a thread somewhere about putting the cassette in a large holdall type of thing so as not to be too obvious.
We happened to have a large blue holdall which would take the cassette, had carry handles and a shoulder strap and was very sturdy too.
Never thought we would have the need for it but on one occasion it worked superbly.
Public toilets in a public car park. Went in first to check if suitable for my intended purpose which luckily it was.
Went back to van, cassette into holdall, and sauntered into public toilets nobody any the wiser.
Emptied, slowly, while flushing (also helps with the noise of emptying) another flush, check as clean as you would wish to find, cassette in holdall return to van.
Only time we have used this method.

One of the benefits of the smaller cartridge was that we did just the same except ours fitted in a rucksack.Perfect fit

One of the benefits of the smaller cartridge was that we did just the same except ours fitted in a rucksack.Perfect fit

i have smallish cassette which can fit into a larger carrier bag also. using as little as tissue as possible prevents public toilets blocking up when an unusually large amount of material is deposited in one go.

It's all about timing, at public toilets.
Wait until it's quiet,or when the sex maniacs, dog fanciers, ( both sorts), and drug dealers are busy or finished.
Take an aerosol of air freshener in with you.

Having that plastic container gives you a nice bit of extra capacity, you could empty it on the roses when you get home :)

It's all about timing, at public toilets.
Wait until it's quiet,or when the sex maniacs, dog fanciers, ( both sorts), and drug dealers are busy or finished.
Take an aerosol of air freshener in with you.

To use before ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back