Emission zones along a route

German sticker

How much did you pay for the German one. We are going through Germany end of April. Had a quick look and it appeared to be around €31. Is that right or did I find a dodgy (do it for you type) website?

We called in at the first DEKRA place we came across after entering Germany, didn’t take long and cost a fraction of that price. There’s an on line finder for DEKRA places.

Those with older or bigger vehicles will have more of a problem.
As has been posted pollution is mainly cased by Factories Power stations etc (and cows).
The weather also plays a huge part in either dissipating the pollution or concentrating It.
Thus I can see a scenario such as
Today restricted
Tomorrow OK
How this gets communicated to the locals is a problem and for us ?

After downloading the App and reading the entries for the different zones it would appear that if you don't have a sticker on the windscreen you won't be able to drive in that area no matter what the air pollution is. One example says Badge Classes allowed from 16/11/2017 E,1,2,3,4,5 then says Not allowed to drive ( temporarily ) Vehicles without Crit Air Badge. Fines 68 - 375 Euro.

Looks like they have found another way of taxing the motorist. Bit like the Uk really only we do it with Smart Motorways

Er... as the OP, I posted my question because of very recent changes in France. AFAICT, the majority of ZPAs were introduced in the latter part of last year and the swathe that stretches inland from the Vendee to Clermont-Ferrand and beyond only became an issue this year. Compare the half-dozen French, city-based zones that existed at the beginning of last year with the following map:

View attachment 60866

Until this year, you could simply plan your route to avoid all emissions zones but, as these zones proliferate, that's becoming more and more difficult. I was hoping that something like a sat nav app existed that would allow you to create routes that avoid active emissions zones in the same way that most allow you to avoid tolls, motorways, etc. However, it seems that you still need to do this the long-winded way. As my MH is 'class 0', I'll probably be one of the first forbidden to drive when a zone becomes active and so this topic is probably more important for me that someone who qualifies for 'class' 1, 2 or 3!
Where did you get this info about zones spreading across the countryside and the map?
As far as I am aware, the low emission zones apply to a few towns and cities only.
Even Paris, you are allowed to drive around the peripherique and I assume all the other LEZ’s would be similar.
I can’t find any information about zones outside cities.

Where did you get this info about zones spreading across the countryside and the map?
As far as I am aware, the low emission zones apply to a few towns and cities only.
Even Paris, you are allowed to drive around the peripherique and I assume all the other LEZ’s would be similar.
I can’t find any information about zones outside cities.

You can find some info by following links on the Crit'Air site (French environmental zones ZCR – Crit-Air.fr) or from the Green Zones IOS/Android app. For example, the Vendee/La Roche-sur-Yon Zone ZPAd page says:
[...]A ZPAd (zone de protection de l'air départementale) is no local or regional air protection zone with clearly defined limits (ZPA), it applies to a whole department where driving restrictions can be temporary imposed. This requires a separate individual notification from the prefect or a representative. As a result, there can only be locally changing traffic restrictions within the ZPAd Vendée, to which the car owners must adapt.[...]
In other words, for ZPAd's, restrictions may be applied to bits of the department or to the department as a whole.
If you look at the map on my first-linked page, you can see the swathe of green marching across the country; almost cutting France in two. Hopefully, these zones won't all become active at once!

Thanks for the links. I downloaded the app but don’t use the links in the app to order a badge because they charge a fee of almost €30 plus the cost of the badge. The official government site dont charge a fee, just the cost of your sticker

This is a link

Within the Official web-site
This link shows no alert for LILLE today
Lille Zone ZCR – Crit-Air.fr

Environmental zone ZCR Lille - France
Fine particles, nitrogen oxide and ozone have an influence on the validity of the vignettes.
You can inform yourself here about the current and future validity status of the vignettes.

...Validity of the badges today, the 17-02-2018. ...
There is no alert today.

This link goes to the "home page"
French Environmental Zones – Crit-Air.fr

Yes I guess you have to check daily when you are near a zone

Maybe an app does this automatically ? and knows where you are as well ?

Last edited:
Such an app was what I sought in my OP! As it is, you need to know the names of each of the zones (and AFAICT, they're not labelled on the overview map :() and then look each zone up on either one of the websites on in the Green Zones app, which is a time-consuming process.

Crit Air Road Signs

My concern is that I might miss signs that ban me from travelling through areas where the ban is in force!

I don't use phone apps, or listen to the radio, so rely on visual information.

For example, when in Berlin, several years ago, we stopped on a Stellplatz, within 2 miles of the centre of the city, with no problems, and, even when walking, didn't see any signs, that showed the German low emission zone.
Upon returning home, however, I "Googled" it, and it definitely showed that we had driven in an area that we shouldn't have. With more and more "Number Plate Recognition Cameras", my fear is that I could easily stray into a banned area!

Dont know if this has been covered in any of these threads but I gather if you have a Blue Badge your exempt from having to have a sticker.

Dont know if this has been covered in any of these threads but I gather if you have a Blue Badge your exempt from having to have a sticker.

I guess it depends on who you believe. According to crit-air.fr:
All vehicles eligible to receive a Crit'Air badge are also obliged to purchase it, including vehicles and drivers who are exempt from driving bans in the ZCR and ZPA environmental zones. Persons with reduced mobility who carry a parking permit for disabled persons also need a Crit'Air badge, even though they are exempt from the possible driving bans. Parking cards for disabled persons are the same all over Europe so that vehicles of handicapped persons are recognisable abroad, too.
Since it costs so little to buy, it seems little point in not obtaining a sticker if your vehicle qualifies for one IMO. However, it seems that disabled who have a "Class 0" vehicle are not catered for since their vehicles don't qualify for stickers.

My concern is that I might miss signs that ban me from travelling through areas where the ban is in force!

I don't use phone apps, or listen to the radio, so rely on visual information.

For example, when in Berlin, several years ago, we stopped on a Stellplatz, within 2 miles of the centre of the city, with no problems, and, even when walking, didn't see any signs, that showed the German low emission zone.
Upon returning home, however, I "Googled" it, and it definitely showed that we had driven in an area that we shouldn't have. With more and more "Number Plate Recognition Cameras", my fear is that I could easily stray into a banned area!

I wouldn't expect road signs to inform you that a ban is in force. It would be totally impractical to achieve coverage of all roads affected. The info will presumably be disseminated on local radio and TV plus Internet.

The way I understand it is a new model would have been euro 2 from 1,1,96, while existing models could be sold as euro 1 until 1,1,97 when they then would have to be euro 2 compliant.
Looks like the French have gone with a date that can almost guarentee euro2.

Even on 2001 vehicles it's hard to determine exactly what class a vehicle is, because not all vehicle adopt at the same time. You need to go to manufacturer with chassis number. Had to do it for LEZ, pain in the butt.

I wouldn't expect road signs to inform you that a ban is in force. It would be totally impractical to achieve coverage of all roads affected. The info will presumably be disseminated on local radio and TV plus Internet.

Apparently there are signs but not many and its easy to get into a zone without passing one. And as some zones only come into force when pollution reach's a certain level your expected to get the info from local radio.

How do you find out what badge number your van is? My van was registered in April 1996 which according to this chart it doesnt qualify for a sticker in France. Who will get which Crit'Air Colours? – Crit-Air.fr But on the RAC site it has them the other way around and has vehicles from 1996 classed as Euro 2. Euro 1 to Euro 6 – find out your vehicle's emissions standard | RAC Drive

Isnt there a place where you can just put your reg in and find out?

The RAC table shows Euro 2 as applying to new vehicle approvals from 1 January 1996 but to most new registrations from 1 January 1997. This means that your vehicle is very likely to be Euro 1.

The RAC also say on that page that there isn't a place where you can reliably input your vehicle registration in order to determine the Euro class.

Thanks. Its not urgent but im still none the wiser really. Not even sure if we are going to France this year. Ive emailed them anyway to ask.

I presume its for all vehicles so I would need one for the scooter?

An interesting reply from the Crit Air people.

"You can only apply for a sticker for your motor home if you can show proof of at least Euro 2.
According to the registration date, your vehicle is too old and you cannot purchase a sticker and therefore you can no longer enter France with this vehicle.

If your vehicle has Euro 2, you can easily apply for a sticker in our shop.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

Frau Anneka Kroehnert

So I guess I need to establish if my van is Euro 1 or 2. I have questioned the bit about no longer being able to enter France as surely its just the effected zones. Mind you I never bothered with any stickers last year anyway. Maybe it will be like the Breathlyser and everyone will ignore it. There must be millions of old vehicles driving about, many probably older than mine. What are they going to do, ban them all?
"

I’m afraid Frau Anneka is wrong. It is only the zones you will not be able to enter. In some towns you will not be able to enter at all, but geographical zones will have restrictions on which stickers will be able to enter when they announce pollution is bad. This will be temporary.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back