Electrics / Leisure battery problem

Conroy

Free Member
Hi. As I mentioned in my earlier newbie post, we have an annoying technical problem. I'm afraid to explain it properly this could get quite long, please bear with me. I should point out I don't have much technical knowledge myself.

We have a Devon Monaco 54 reg, with a 110 amp leisure battery, a solar panel, a Waeco compressor fridge and a Steca Solsum 8.8x, which I believe is some kind of charge regulator. In the past we have spent several days off-site with no problem, examples being; a week on Mull with no hooking-up at all, but a bit of driving most days; 5 days parked up at Glastonbury with no hook-up and no driving. In both cases the battery never got too low and the fridge continued to work. Presumably the solar panel helps a in such circumstances.

For the last 12 months it's been a different picture. Now we can have been hooked up for a while or been driving and the battery shows good charge, say about mid-day, but once we're off hook-up or stationery the charge seems to drop far too quickly. By early evening it's getting low and by bed-time it's not enough to work the fridge (or heating) so the fridge goes off. This is a big problem when you like wild camping as we do. Sometimes the charge starts to go up again quite quickly come morning, so the fridge comes on again, but the only source is the solar panel, which I thought only gives a trickle charge.

We visited an auto electrician, who said all seemed to be working ok and could only suggest the battery may not be up to scratch. We went back to ATS where we bought the battery (in just July last year), who checked it and it showed as a 'good battery', so of course they couldn't change it under warranty. Last month we rang ES Hartleys at Ings (near Kendal), who referred us to another auto electrician in Kendal that they use. We took it there feeling rather optimistic. Again we were told they couldn't find anything wrong and confirmed the battery is ok. They couldn't explain why we had done so well in the past but not now. They explained it's a matter of maths; a fully charged 110 amp battery running a fridge using 5 amps per hour will only last 22 hours before running out. I've googled this quite a bit and get the maths, but 2 other factors; the fridge doesn't use power constantly as it works like a home fridge and is thermostat controlled, going on and off intermittently; secondly the solar panel will be giving some top-up too. Here's where the maths don't add up though; if the battery is fully charged at mid-day why has it gone so low the fridge stops working by bed-time, no more than 12 hours later?

Something must have happened or gone wrong for us to have such a different experience now with our van. I hope someone can help, as I don't know where to turn next. We love our van but are now even considering changing it, with the added problem however of selling it in its present state.

I am really sorry about the length of this post, but it seemed necessary to give full info. If anyone can help, please let me know if you need any more information. Many thanks, in anticipation.

Ian.

Have you checked that you haven't accidentally put the fridge on a cooler setting than before?

How are they testing your battery ? I would think a fair bet your battery is far past its best and one thing is for sure it will be far cheaper to try a new battery than to change your van.

Have you checked that you haven't accidentally put the fridge on a cooler setting than before?

If only! No, it's just a dial that you turn to whatever level you want and we always put it to about half way, except in winter when we would put it a bit lower. We kind of suspect it may have something to do with the fridge, maybe taking a lot more charge than it should be, but the last auto electrician we consulted said it seemed to be working ok.

Thanks anyway.

Did anyone check the battery in the van what the current was (amps ) taken measured.
Have you other load being used that you are unaware of ?.
Is the fridge thermostat working ? it could be running without turning off.
Can you turn the fridge OFF and check your battery over a few days.
Can you borrow a battery doesn't matter what size and try that

Alf

How are they testing your battery ? I would think a fair bet your battery is far past its best and one thing is for sure it will be far cheaper to try a new battery than to change your van.

The thing is the battery is only 12 months old and ATS wouldn't change it under warranty as they said it tested 'good'. Just remembered we had a starting problem early June and had to get AA out, resulting in a new cab battery being fitted. While he was there the AA man kindly checked the leisure battery for us and he also said it was fine. That's 3 different tests now confirming it is ok.

Thanks anyway.

Did anyone check the battery in the van what the current was (amps ) taken measured.
Have you other load being used that you are unaware of ?.
Is the fridge thermostat working ? it could be running without turning off.
Can you turn the fridge OFF and check your battery over a few days.
Can you borrow a battery doesn't matter what size and try that

Alf

Yes the last auto electrician definitely checked the current and how much was being used with the fridge on and off, which he said was correct.
No other load as far as I'm aware, and presumably the auto electrician would have found that.
You can hear the fridge go off and on again, just like a house fridge, so presumably the thermostat is working.
Have done that and the battery does last much longer, almost indefinitely, with the fridge off, which is partly why I suspect an issue with the fridge. Trouble is I keep being told it's working fine.
Good idea, I'll think if I can borrow one somewhere.

Thanks.

I've considered ring Devon Conversions, near Durham, but I think they don't deal with repairs or problems at all, does anyone know if that is correct?

have you checked that you getting a charge from solar panel or getting a charge from engine or that fridge is co0ling whilst driving

Yes I'm pretty sure the solar panel works fine, hence the charge going up come morning even when not hooked up or driving.
Also it seems to charge up fine from driving.
Yes the fridge works fine while driving.

Thanks.

I use one of these to check what each device is using, just remove the fridge fuse and plug it in; it will tell you how many amps the fridge is using and how often it is turning off and on. The link is for standard blade fuses, but they are available for mini blade as well.

Car Fuse Current Amp Meter Battery Electrical Leakage Detector Tester | eBay

I've found it very useful and means you can check each fuse to find out where current is being used.

I am no expert, but I believe it is possible for a battery to appear to be good, but when put under load be found to discharge way too quickly cos it's faulty. We're just checking ours at the moment for the same reason, seemingly discharging too quickly.

Sounds like the leisure battery is faulty despite the tests carried out.

What I would do is to try another battery if you have access to one - a serviceable battery from another vehicle perhaps?

Yes these are quite good but buy one of these and fit insulated crocodile clips at each end and you can test any loose cables or direct from the battery

Alf

In Line Standard Blade Fuse Holder Splash Proof All Types and Quantities Car Van | eBay

mhd8lGf8Q

5A-20A Crocodile Clips SMALL Copper/Nickel INSULATED Solder/Crimp Test Alligator | eBay

I use one of these to check what each device is using, just remove the fridge fuse and plug it in; it will tell you how many amps the fridge is using and how often it is turning off and on. The link is for standard blade fuses, but they are available for mini blade as well.

I've found it very useful and means you can check each fuse to find out where current is being used.

Ok now try leaving all the lights and time how long the battery lasts.

The alternative is to discharge the battery running the fridge remove the Battery in A DISCHARGED state and return to ATS and see what they say

Alf

Alf

Yes the last auto electrician definitely checked the current and how much was being used with the fridge on and off, which he said was correct.
No other load as far as I'm aware, and presumably the auto electrician would have found that.
You can hear the fridge go off and on again, just like a house fridge, so presumably the thermostat is working.
Have done that and the battery does last much longer, almost indefinitely, with the fridge off, which is partly why I suspect an issue with the fridge. Trouble is I keep being told it's working fine.
Good idea, I'll think if I can borrow one somewhere.

Thanks.

I've considered ring Devon Conversions, near Durham, but I think they don't deal with repairs or problems at all, does anyone know if that is correct?

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. Though I think the last auto electrician did that and didn't find anything unusual.

I am no expert, but I believe it is possible for a battery to appear to be good, but when put under load be found to discharge way too quickly cos it's faulty. We're just checking ours at the moment for the same reason, seemingly discharging too quickly.

That's interesting. So it could be some kind of fault that doesn't show up when tested in the standard way, which might explain why tests by 3 different people have not shown any problem. The question is, if it is indeed faulty how do I get ATS to change it under warranty if their test shows it as 'good'? Or maybe I will just have to buy another new one.

I would be interested to know if you find anything from your checking, if you don't mind.

Sounds like the leisure battery is faulty despite the tests carried out.

What I would do is to try another battery if you have access to one - a serviceable battery from another vehicle perhaps?

Interesting, especially considering the comments from 'yorkslass'. A couple of relatives have vans too, maybe I could borrow one of their batteries.

Thanks.

The only thing I can suggest is swapping the leisure battery for a know good one or trying a second battery with jump leads to see how it performs.

;););)

Ok now try leaving all the lights and time how long the battery lasts.

The alternative is to discharge the battery running the fridge remove the Battery in A DISCHARGED state and return to ATS and see what they say

Alf

Alf

Thanks, I could try that last idea in conjunction with borrowing another battery to try. Not sure if ATS will be very forthcoming re the warranty though. It doesn't seem to matter what anyone else says, just what their check says.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back