electrical dilema!

Debs

I have been helping a friend to remodel her camper, and I was going to install the electrics for her, but she has gone against my advice and bought metal box's intended for dry wall mounting, she has brushed metal sockets and she wants everything flush mounted. My fear is that the temperature imbalance between the inside of the van and the insulated space behind the 9mm wall could lead to condensation within the metal box's. Anyone got any idea's on this?

Cheers Nigel, managed to persuade her to change to those back box's.

I have no idea ,but your theory certainly holds credibility in my world

Channa

You are definitely over engineering. The inside would need to be flooded with condensation.

Out of interest, you have the competencies to advise on an electrical installation? Just be careful it don't bite your bum

Last edited:
Why folk want 230v inside a van beats me,one plug socket maybe for using emergency power tools etc.

Why folk want 230v inside a van beats me,one plug socket maybe for using emergency power tools etc.

Because 12v microwaves are cack.....

I used plastic patress boxes to mount our black chrome double sockets....
Lot easier to fix into internal lining than metal boxes.

Why not just use the proper thing and be done with it ..

c-lineblack240vsocketforcaravansmotorhomes.jpg

Available on ebay CBE Electrical Sockets

Surface mount and certainly easy to fit with four screws and a round hole. They do all sorts so you can have a complete set that all match. Different trims to hide the screws.

Last edited:

View attachment 62370

Surface mount and certainly easy to fit with four screws and a round hole. They do all sorts so you can have a complete set that all match. Different trims to hide the screws.

the CBE Electrical Setup is IMO by far the best and most flexible system - sold hundreds and hundreds of the USB Style Twin socket :banana:
The 240V Socket also has a back cover available for it to cover the terminals which is highly recommended to use :D

Thats why gas is used & not m/waves as a rule.

But not much use having a gas cooker when you don't have gas in the van to work it....

I purposely didn't want gas in the van so went 240v.... My electric is pretty much free (certainly summer time) and small negligible cost in winter from extra loading on the alternator.
And never need to swap bottles etc.

Works for us which is the most important bit....
I'm not really into swingeing statements like "I don't get why everyone bothers with gas cookers in their van"

One size doesn't fit all

One of the things I love about this group is the diversity and often opinions expressed by people that relates to professional life.

I would go gas but perhaps because until recently was qualified so little doubt in my mind I could design from scratch and install a system that is efficient complies with regs as an aside ,but moreso gives me an opportunity to employ gas and electrics edging my bets.

I don't understand electrics beyond the basics so out my comfort zone, that said knowledge is never a bad thing and allows different solutions.

I am enjoying the thread albeit occasionally need to read twice to make sure I understand.

I have no desire to be an ambassador for LPG so as stated one size doesn't fit all

My next van will be a self conversion and it will be a thrifty budget so all ideas for maximum buck for the pound appeals, Be an interesting journey that is for sure and will do as much myself as I possibly can

Channa

CBE stuff is certainly good quality but can be fiddly to fit especially with multiple units. Plastic plasterboard type boxes are good when the fitting is in dead space but where the back will be in a storage space I prefer the more robust plastic version of the metal surface box. No holes where tings can get inside the box and robust enough to fit a cable gland to act as a strain relief.

One size doesn't fit all

One of the things I love about this group is the diversity and often opinions expressed by people that relates to professional life.

I would go gas but perhaps because until recently was qualified so little doubt in my mind I could design from scratch and install a system that is efficient complies with regs as an aside ,but moreso gives me an opportunity to employ gas and electrics edging my bets.

I don't understand electrics beyond the basics so out my comfort zone, that said knowledge is never a bad thing and allows different solutions.

I am enjoying the thread albeit occasionally need to read twice to make sure I understand.

I have no desire to be an ambassador for LPG so as stated one size doesn't fit all

My next van will be a self conversion and it will be a thrifty budget so all ideas for maximum buck for the pound appeals, Be an interesting journey that is for sure and will do as much myself as I possibly can

Channa
best advice for a budget camper is to either get a donor caravan or buy stff when cheap and store it . and watch out at boot sales etc for thr hidden expenses, mastic, doorhandles and catches , hinges and screws , cable and crimp connectors ,pins biscuits glue and screws, foam rubber ,vinyl flooring etc . i fyou write out a list you might remember most of them !

But not much use having a gas cooker when you don't have gas in the van to work it....

I purposely didn't want gas in the van so went 240v.... My electric is pretty much free (certainly summer time) and small negligible cost in winter from extra loading on the alternator.
And never need to swap bottles etc.

Works for us which is the most important bit....
I'm not really into swingeing statements like "I don't get why everyone bothers with gas cookers in their van"

Sorry no offense ment by my statement.

Sorry no offense ment by my statement.

None taken Trev...
Was just trying to point out there are many ways to achieve the end result we are all looking for....
What works for us as individuals... Doesn't necessarily work for everyone else.
I was told so so many times that I needed gas to cook with.... And that trying to be off grid was hopeless...
2 years in and we're still all electric even having camped over Xmas/new year etc...
Never been cold or hungry yet...

Conclusion I've come to Is there are a heap of 'experts' out there that have gained their expertise from a bloke in a pub OR Reading it on the Internet....
However 'Experts' that have actually tried to do stuff and failed OR succeeded are both thin on the ground AND the only ones worth listening to ;-)

One size doesn't fit all

Channa

That happens to be a pretty good summary of what I think as well I reckon, except I would reverse GAS and ELECTRICS in terms of my own knowledge and comfort zones (and is why my own build is electric-centric)

View attachment 62370

IMO, it's really expensive and actually not that good!

the CBE Electrical Setup is IMO by far the best and most flexible system - sold hundreds and hundreds of the USB Style Twin socket :banana:
The 240V Socket also has a back cover available for it to cover the terminals which is highly recommended to use :D

My complaints about the CBE systen (which is both aesthetically good and covers almost all needs) are firstly the back boxes are very small to hold the wiring, and can have small objects poked though which makes them only suitable for mounting where there is dead space behind, and because of the system precision you need a jig to get multiple hole properly aligned. As I have seen none offered for sale I have 2 home made ones hanging up in my shed. Finally because of the very wide range of inserts one is often forced either to pay extortionate prices to buy all you need from a single supplier or make multiple purchases from a numbefr of retailers. As a result I tend not to use them these days if at all possible

I'm assuming (please correct if wrong) that by "inserts" you mean devices? If so, isn't it a great thing to have such a range of devices to be able to install just about anything you need but keep a common cohesive look?

I have a wide range of CBE kit in my shop, but not everything for sure! I use multiple suppliers based on both availability and price when stocking product, so no different to shopping around as an end customer. Has it ever not been the case that to get the best prices this is what you must do?

Interesting point about a jig requirement. I've always just used the frame for alignment and never had any issues but I can see the benefit of a jig to ensure holes are marked up dead centre and aligned together for those who maybe new to installing CBE kit.
I think this could be a job for my 3D Printer :rabbit:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back