Electric tripping

• Thread starter Deleted member 84929
  • Start date

Deleted member 84929

Just been away for a week and our electric kept tripping out every morning. The expert at choose leisure said the battery was getting over full has anyone heard of this?

Hi ya,
Just test your system by plugging in on EHU but turning your battery charger off to eliminate this 👍.
Did you stay on a site ?. Do you mean The ‘Site’ Electric or your Vehicle Electric Trip switch ?.
Sometimes the trip just gets weak, so swap it out, But obviously it might be doing it’s job & there’s a fault on an Appliance, Wiring Especially if a rodent has been to work on it !.
But are you sure it just wasn’t ‘Over Draw’ of power consumption eg Water Heater On while making your Morning Cuppa & Toast?
😊

Last edited:
Usual cause of tripping is using more amps than the trip allows. Most sites are 10 amp or 16 amp.

A 1kw 230v device uses 4amp
So a 3kw domestic kettle uses 12 amp.
On a 10 amp site, therefore, a kettle alone will trip the supply.
On a 16 amp site with the kettle on and then the heating (3k) kicks in ans uses another 12 amp. The total demand is 24 amp and the supply trips.

Top tips
Set heating to 2kw max.
Get a 750 w kettle.

Other cause of tripping is a faulty appliance.
So if it trips whenever you use your electric milk shake mixer... get a new milk shake mixer.

Hi ya,
Just test your system by plugging in on EHU but turning your battery charger off to eliminate this 👍.
Did you stay on a site ?. Do you mean The ‘Site’ Electric or your Vehicle Electric Trip switch ?.
Sometimes the trip just gets weak, so swap it out, But obviously it might be doing it’s job & there’s a fault on an Appliance, Wiring Especially if a rodent has been to work on it !.
But are you sure it just wasn’t ‘Over Draw’ of power consumption eg Water Heater On while making your Morning Cuppa & Toast?
😊
Our vehicle electric

Just to be clear.....
Is it the rcd installed on the campsite ehu supply that is tripping

(As opposed to an onboard switch ?)

It is the onboard switch where we switch the electric and water on not the main fuse box. So the water goes off as well.

I have never come across a switch that does water and mains, photo please so we know what you are referring to.

I have never come across a switch that does water and mains, photo please so we know what you are referring to.
Hello
They are 2 separate switches . I can’t take a photo as am away at the moment
It’s a board above the door with main power switch, electric switch, water switch and indicators for water and battery.

Hello
They are 2 separate switches . I can’t take a photo as am away at the moment
It’s a board above the door with main power switch, electric switch, water switch and indicators for water and battery.
Is the "main power switch"for 12v or 230v or both?
What does the "electric switch" do?
Does the "water switch" turn the pump on/off ?..
Are the "indicators" gauges telling you how much water you have and the battery voltage, or just lights
I assume the "indicators" are not switches.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm trying to work out what equipment you have and what the situation is precisely.

Keep smiling.

The power button is for the whole electrical supply (12v and 240v). There are indicator lights for the leisure and vehicle batteries, both of which show fully charged. There is a button to turn on the water pump and one to show the water level, which is indicated on a column of lights at the end. When the system switches itself off the top green light flashes for a short time.

The power button is for the whole electrical supply (12v and 240v). There are indicator lights for the leisure and vehicle batteries, both of which show fully charged. There is a button to turn on the water pump and one to show the water level, which is indicated on a column of lights at the end. When the system switches itself off the top green light flashes for a short time.
There will be some 240 volt electrical circuit breakers (MCB) in a wardrobe, cupboard or locker inside your van. That will be what is tripping I think. If by some chance it is the switch on the panel above the door then you have no choice but to either find a good auto electrician or take it to a dealership.

Either way, we cannot really help you as we have no idea what make, model or year your van is because you are not giving us sufficient information to help you.

It reads similar to mine.
A small rocker type switch . I call it the master switch as it allows then Main ECU to operate thus everything !
We also have a similar switch for the water pump(s) with microswitches inthe taps. So the pump does not run unless taps are opened.
There are rocker switches and led coloured gauges for the battery. And water tank.
We have never had a problem save once.
After a solar panel install. The 2 RCD switches on the ECU Tripped.
But as I say once only.
Once they were clicked back everything has been 100%
These RCD switches on the top of the ECU and the fuses.
No power at all with them tripped even with EHU.

I leave the small "master" switch on over winter so that solar charges both. The hab battery and the engine battery.
I turn the water pump off !

Hope this helps

As
There will be some 240 volt electrical circuit breakers (MCB) in a wardrobe, cupboard or locker inside your van. That will be what is tripping I think. If by some chance it is the switch on the panel above the door then you have no choice but to either find a good auto electrician or take it to a dealership.

Either way, we cannot really help you as we have no idea what make, model or year your van is because you are not giving us sufficient information to help you.
As all works (presumably after resetting the circuit breakers) I suggest it is unlikely to be the "small master switch".
My suspicions are maybe the heating system or something else that runs for too long as you see from my post i think i have a similar setup.
The unit is a calira and it is always servicing the 2 batteries.
Removing a fuse is the only way ti turn off charging.
But as others i do not think that is the problem.

1619452421309.png

As

As all works (presumably after resetting the circuit breakers) I suggest it is unlikely to be the "small master switch".
My suspicions are maybe the heating system or something else that runs for too long as you see from my post i think i have a similar setup.
The unit is a calira and it is always servicing the 2 batteries.
Removing a fuse is the only way ti turn off charging.
But as others i do not think that is the problem.
The OP has not said that they have reset the MCB, they have just mentioned the switch on the panel above the door.

Everyone is guessing, which while it's all best intentions, may do more harm than good. At the very least we need a photo of exactly what is tripping.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back