East Lothian 'Consultation' i.e. crackdown - Have your say by 1st March 2021

If they think they were excessive numbers earlier , they are going to get a hell of a shock when the "Covid" door is opened !! :)

Yes and they base this knee jerk reaction on last year, when due to covid things went crazy for a while.
Seems they are simply taking advantage of the situation.

St. Abbs is in the Scottish Borders region. EL ends at Dunglass Bridge just before the Co'path roundabout heading south.

Historically there was a Club site at Barns Ness so it could be that the infrastructure is still in place. Birdwatching central down there in spring and autumn so it's not a gimme by any means.

ELC's answer to anything has always been to try to ban it, which of course only deters law abiding folk. There's barely a decent parking spot left that doesn't have a height barrier which is always the thin end of the wedge.

It must be nearly 10 years since we overnighted in EL, height barriers everywhere.

I tell a lie, we have overnighted in the Council Car park in Haddington ... but only by arriving on a Saturday evening so as not to be a nuisance with Council employees and shoppers.

For all the good it will do, but I sent this today.:cry:

Dear Sir/Madam,

After studying your proposals for East Lothian car parking and use of Motorhomes, I wish to highlight my views on these proposals.
I looked at the questionnaire provided, and found it to be inadequate for purpose.

I am familiar with East Lothian, having spent many wonderful times on its coastline over many years. In recent years we have witnessed poor behaviour, of which on two occasions we have reported to the council. One incident on fisherrow in Musselburgh were loud music persisted to after midnight, loutish behaviour from drunks, litter strewn all over the beech and carpark, water taps left running, dog mess not cleaned up, and our Motorhome was struck with a stone convinced us never to return. Yet one month later barriers were erected preventing Motorhome owners from using the carpark. Clearly there are manifold problems there, yet the answer was to prevent us from using fisherrow seemed quite frankly wrong. We were never the main problem there, yet we alone were dealt with through the use of barriers and signage. I know for a fact that the local shops benefited from our presence.

We have noted problems with cars barbecuing inconsiderately, tents being erected then rubbish being left in the morning, throughout the region.

To propose that all Motorhomes should be herded into one sole carpark at Barns ness is totally unacceptable and shows a lack of knowledge of what we are all about. I don’t wish to park in a carpark full of Motorhomes, normally we much prefer to park in quieter locations. Our last visit was to just outside the silver sands car park. We love that location and have been going there for years. We normally spend a night at the camping and caravan site near there to empty our toilet cassette, and grey water tanks, and to replenish our fresh water tank. But on our last visit we found tents were pitched in the carpark, and the beech, and fires burning with refuge strewn around them.

Most Motorhome owners are either retired or close to retirement. We have worked all our lives, paid our taxes and respect local environments. I was a firefighter for over 30 years. Yet we are made to feel unwanted and no better than a problem to be dealt with by East Lothian. Other regions such as Highland, and Fife have taken a different course.

It seems to me that East Lothian treat us with disdain, barriers and signage everywhere to prevent us from parking and enjoying such a wonderful environment. Whilst those who spoil it for others with their anti social behaviour, and lack of respect for the environment are still free to return each year, whilst each year we find places that we went to for years are now out of bounds to us.

Times are changing some parts of Scotland are starting to see us not as a hinderance, or a problem to be dealt with but an opportunity. But the reality is our numbers are growing each year, and last year due to Covid manufacturers and suppliers could not supply demand. You are basing your judgments on an exceptional period last year, things will calm down once we are through Covid.

I think consultation with other regions would be advisable. Simply in effect banning us from your whole region accept for one location is not reasonable or the answer to your perceived problem. Yes as I have noted there are problems in your area, and I am not denying that a small part of this is due to poor behaviour within our community. But we are far from your main consideration, yet time and time again we bear the brunt of your draconian measures.

Certainly an area that I’ll avoid, plenty of more welcoming places all over the UK.
You will be missing out on fantastic coastline and countryside also lots of history in that area, is it not worth an email? surely !

You will be missing out on fantastic coastline and countryside also lots of history in that area, is it not worth an email? surely !

It’s a tiny percentage of the fantastic coastline and wonderful history all over the UK, so if their businesses are happy for the council to discourage tourists I see no reason to not just avoid the area. Elsewhere as businesses try to get back on their feet many councils are waking up to the fact that people using motorhomes are generally advantageous to their area and are actually doing things to help encourage visits,

It’s a tiny percentage of the fantastic coastline and wonderful history all over the UK, so if their businesses are happy for the council to discourage tourists I see no reason to not just avoid the area. Elsewhere as businesses try to get back on their feet many councils are waking up to the fact that people using motorhomes are generally advantageous to their area and are actually doing things to help encourage visits,

Well then Bill you make a good case to put to them.
My fear is not what will happen up here, but in England.
EL are a law unto themselves up here.

Well then Bill you make a good case to put to them.
My fear is not what will happen up here, but in England.
EL are a law unto themselves up here.

Even with the busy Summer last year we found some lovely spots in England, and councils are beginning to encourage motorhomes to stay, Blackpool, St.Annes and Helmsley just a few examples.

Can I ask that you lye on your back and wave your legs and arms in the air like a dying fly
Even with the busy Summer last year we found some lovely spots in England, and councils are beginning to encourage motorhomes to stay, Blackpool, St.Annes and Helmsley just a few examples.
Soon to be over run by people not being able to visit East Lothian, never thought of Blackpool as an attraction. :unsure:

Fair enough Bill. But what about Cornwall, the Lake District, and parts of Wales.
I hope you are right Bill, and common sense prevails.
But after what happened in Portugal, and possibly now Spain, one wonders what the future holds.

But after what happened in Portugal, and possibly now Spain, one wonders what the future holds.
Paul will be able to give more details but municipalities in Portugal were encouraged to put in Aires before the authorities cracked down on Free camping. The main town near Paul & Jenny were just opening a new aire when I was there this time last year. At least a bit of though had gone into it.

Can I ask that you lye on your back and wave your legs and arms in the air like a dying fly

Soon to be over run by people not being able to visit East Lothian, never thought of Blackpool as an attraction. :unsure:

I really like the town where I was born, you may be surprised how attractive it is in places and the council’s change of stance towards motorhome users makes it even more so.

Fair enough Bill. But what about Cornwall, the Lake District, and parts of Wales.
I hope you are right Bill, and common sense prevails.

Again, these areas which are perhaps best avoided represent a very small part of the UK in total. Maybe the Portugal scenario will eventually come, personally I’d prefer not to be corralled into aires with dozens of others though such places can occasionally be useful if they have facilities. It is a concern that if aires become more common in the UK merely parking for the night in a layby for example may be outlawed.

Again, these areas which are perhaps best avoided represent a very small part of the UK in total. Maybe the Portugal scenario will eventually come, personally I’d prefer not to be corralled into aires with dozens of others though such places can occasionally be useful if they have facilities. It is a concern that if aires become more common in the UK merely parking for the night in a layby for example may be outlawed.

I agree totally Bill, hence my gripe with their name CAMPRA.
Our country including EL is awash with unused overnight parking facilities why not make better use of them first before talking about aires. Yes they may be required in certain locations, but I don’t reckon we need whats common in European countries, just access to more car parks and use of campsites, and CLS would suffice.

I really like the town where I was born, you may be surprised how attractive it is in places and the council’s change of stance towards motorhome users makes it even more so.
Most people do love the place they belong as I do with East Lothian, but why lie down and accept what some short sighted people in the council are proposing hence the need to fire over valid points of view and try to change their opinion.

I’ve visited EL since I started motorhoming and I can say that over the past few years I have avoided going there just for the reason that I don’t feel welcome, and for them to post about loads of campers in tents etc and ban us from visiting, well they can cram it there’s plenty places to park up other cool than there, wait till the lockdown eases a bit and the weather gets warmer and the tent brigade show up lol excrement and bog roll everywhere not a motorhome to be seen who can they blame then ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back