East Lothian 'Consultation' i.e. crackdown - Have your say by 1st March 2021

Get filling in the form with valid reasons why they should re-consider. Yellowcraigs is one place which could easily accommodate motorhomes. Toilets and water are on site and the carpark is huge . I have been using that place for going on 40 yrs, we used to head down on the bikes for an over night bash, the warden used to come over in the morning for a bacon roll and probably just making sure we had not left any mess. They are proposing to use Barns ness as a motorhome stopover but one place on the Eastlothian coastline is crap.

If ever an article highlights why we need an organisation like CAMPRA this one is it.
let’s be clear here, East Lothian are non representative of Scotland as a whole. Their attitude towards us is terrible. And most of the issues they have are not with us, it’s with people who turn up in cars and carry on as underlined in the Scotsman article. Yet who gets it between the eyeballs full and centre, the easy targets, hard long working, tax paying, environment loving Motorhome owners.

My last trip just before Christmas was at silver sands near Dunbar parked outside the carpark with a barrier. Yet when I walked into the carpark there were four tents pitched with rubbish everywhere. On the beech there were several tents pitched when we walked into Dunbar. We were the only Motorhome who spent the night there.

Sadly though this kind of reaction is bound to become more prevalent throughout the UK. We have noted what’s going on in Cornwall, the Lake District and other areas of England. Also news from Wales last year was alarming.

Please don’t think that this does not apply to you because you have a camper, and find secluded areas to park up all of the time because it will. Try telling Portuguese Motorhome owners that that you are ok if you are more clandestine than others.

I will join Scotia and compose a letter to this council, who seem to dislike us so much. But sadly I don’t think they will bother to read it properly, their minds are made up it seems. Hopefully CAMPRA will take this up and put forward a much better more informed case than I can.

Its real shame just north of the Firth of Forth we have Fife council, who have taken a better approach.

I followed the link and read the 2 documents on my iPad, but there does not appear to be a further link to make comments on the proposals. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Davy

I followed the link and read the 2 documents on my iPad, but there does not appear to be a further link to make comments on the proposals. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Davy

If you go to the give us our your view box and hit view your are taken to a range of questions you can answer. The download option does not work. I will do this then email the address given on the letter.

Feedback from LMRs consultation

Please read the 'LMR proposal document' before answering the questions.

Particular matters relative to the proposed Rules that may be subject of comment include:

• The distinction between camping and residing in a motorhome.
    • Is this clear?
    • Do you agree that these ways of visiting and enjoying the outdoors need to be managed differently?
    • Do you have any further comments on this topic?

• Support of responsible “wild camping”
    • Is this the only form of camping that should be supported in Countryside sites, Parks and Greenspace?

• The General Rules Applicable to All Areas identify some behaviours that need to be regulated because of disruption to the enjoyment of others.
    • Are there other behaviours that you feel should be included?

• The General Rules Applicable to All Areas makes mention of dog free areas.
    • Do you support the principle of dog free areas?
    • If so for what reasoning?

• The Rules Specific to Motor Vehicles confine vehicles to designated parking areas and designated roads only
    • Do you agree or disagree with these restrictions?

• The Rules Specific to Motor Vehicles restrict overnight parking.
    • Do you agree or disagree with this restrictions?

“Camping” means inhabiting and sleeping overnight in a tent or temporary shelter or bivouac, being under canvas or equivalent fabric, including bivvy bags. This also includes camping for non-recreational purposes. Residing in a motorhome, caravan, car or other motorised vehicle is not a form of camping.

This covers the exclusions.
Now if there is anyone with a disability and their van has been adapted in any way they seem to be exempt.

The Rules Specific to Motor Vehicles
The following rules apply to any motorised vehicle (with the exception of vehicles specifically adapted for use by person with a disability, provided the vehicle is being used by such a person) being operated, driven or used on, in or around any Countryside site, Park, Greenspace or Nature reserve as defined above, within the boundaries of East Lothian Council.
  1. In the absence of written permission, no motorised vehicle shall be driven on any path, road or track other than those designated for use by motorised vehicles.
  2. In the absence of written permission, no motorised vehicle shall be parked anywhere except designated parking bays and only in accordance with displayed parking regulations.
  3. In the absence of written permission no motorised vehicle shall be parked, abandoned, left unattended or occupied overnight in any Countryside site, Park, Greenspace or Nature reserve within the boundaries of East Lothian Council.
10. In the absence of written permission, no motorised vehicle shall be operated in a way that disturbs wildlife.

“Countryside sites, Park or Greenspaces” means any land, provided, owned, leased, occupied or managed by the Council within East Lothian and used as a nature reserve, country park, recreation ground, public playground, public open space, public walk, walkway, car park, path, woodland, ornamental or pleasure ground or garden and all buildings and works connected therewith.

I am unsure if the area outside Silver sands car park on the rough ground is covered by this designation.
The land may be public ? but I saw no sign of maintenance. Is it owned by the council ?

I downloaded the response document and completed it with no problem.

I could not find a "sent completed response to" address so I sent it to the legal department whose email is on the page.

Update - Got a reply from "legal" saying OK.

Last edited:
Get filling in the form with valid reasons why they should re-consider. Yellowcraigs is one place which could easily accommodate motorhomes. Toilets and water are on site and the carpark is huge . I have been using that place for going on 40 yrs, we used to head down on the bikes for an over night bash, the warden used to come over in the morning for a bacon roll and probably just making sure we had not left any mess. They are proposing to use Barns ness as a motorhome stopover but one place on the Eastlothian coastline is crap.

The Barns Ness Lighthouse carpark is quite small.
I wonder if they are going to create a larger carpark for us there, and if so what about facilities.
I am sure that you are aware, there is lots of land there, with potential for a very large area for additional car parking.
But my concern would be cars using the motorhome parking bays.
I believe this has been a problem elsewhere were motorhome only bays are provided such as Ely in fife, were 2 bays are provided for us.
But as you say providing just one place for us is insufficient.
Also what about St Abbs would this come under these regulations.

Has anyone else noticed the date on the land management "consultation" link (2nd link) that @craig10 started the thread with?

Opened 27 Jan 2021
Closes 1 Mar 2021

!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Surely this should be challenged as not giving anyone enough time to respond properly?!

If ever an article highlights why we need an organisation like CAMPRA this
Has anyone else noticed the date on the land management "consultation" link (2nd link) that @craig10 started the thread with?

Opened 27 Jan 2021
Closes 1 Mar 2021

!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Surely this should be challenged as not giving anyone enough time to respond properly?!
We are only into the first of Feb darling. :unsure: 🤪

The Barns Ness Lighthouse carpark is quite small.
I wonder if they are going to create a larger carpark for us there, and if so what about facilities.
I am sure that you are aware, there is lots of land there, with potential for a very large area for additional car parking.
But my concern would be cars using the motorhome parking bays.
I believe this has been a problem elsewhere were motorhome only bays are provided such as Ely in fife, were 2 bays are provided for us.
But as you say providing just one place for us is insufficient.
Also what about St Abbs would this come under these regulations.
There is a larger plot down by the lighthouse don't know if that is where they propose.

If they think they were excessive numbers earlier , they are going to get a hell of a shock when the "Covid" door is opened !! :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back