DVLA D4 Medical for over 70s

Eye prescription Grrr!

Had it all planned. Spoke to DVLA who will accept an EU English speaking doctor ... good ... no need to fly J home from Portugal to get it done. Asked him to contact the optician he saw in October to get a copy of his glasses prescription emailed over. Plan gone awry already. Prescription and test only for reading glasses, not the driving ones!
So now need to get him into a Portuguese eyetest, and will probably find he needs new driving glasses. Opticians here not the cheapest!

Had it all planned. Spoke to DVLA who will accept an EU English speaking doctor ... good ... no need to fly J home from Portugal to get it done. Asked him to contact the optician he saw in October to get a copy of his glasses prescription emailed over. Plan gone awry already. Prescription and test only for reading glasses, not the driving ones!
So now need to get him into a Portuguese eyetest, and will probably find he needs new driving glasses. Opticians here not the cheapest!

I toyed with the idea of getting the medical done here in Spain but the D4 interview has to be conducted in English and the chances of finding a doctor who is not only fluent but willing in this part of Spain (Almeria) is remote. In the end, I decided to pay for the £60 return flight and take the opportunity to meet up with friends and family at the same time. Hope you get it sorted.

Was his eye test done in the UK? If so it is a requirement in law to give you a copy of the prescription, on it will be your distance prescription for Left and Right eyes and for near vision you will have a plus or + followed by a value. Usually the Left and Right will have the same plus value, but not always.

I hope this helps.

My little red book licence, says on it that I can drive ; Light locomotive, heavy locomotive, motor car, motorcycle ,tricycle with or without reverse gear, tracked vehicle, motor mower, motor tractor, and traction engine.
It does not mention Motorhome?????????
Should I apply for a new one??????

Just thought I would add a bit of praise for the DVLA, they often have to take criticism for the things thet do wrong or dont do .

I had my medical last Monday the 23rd ( £55 at "HGV medicals from £55. Amazing! And they give £5 to charity too") on Tuesday I posted all the forms off to DVLA using Royal Mail next day delivery . Checked the tracking and it was signed for at 04.05 on Wednesday
Postie has just been and it was my new license , now thats what I call service less than a week :wacko:

I agree - my new licence from DVLA has just arrived, within a week of me posting the application. I won't have to downsize for at least three years :)

My little red book licence, says on it that I can drive ; Light locomotive, heavy locomotive, motor car, motorcycle ,tricycle with or without reverse gear, tracked vehicle, motor mower, motor tractor, and traction engine.
It does not mention Motorhome?????????
Should I apply for a new one??????

My little red book licence is similar, but has an expiry date also (many years ago ).:cry: I have had many more since then of varying colours and styles. :)

Last edited:
Has the DVLA got it in for me

I am still trying to get my license renewed, was told last year that if I didn't have any problems during this year it should be straightforward. Called them today to be told a VOCH1 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...onfidential-medical-information-VOCH1-pdf.pdf was in the post. This is pretty much the same information I have provided before. I am getting frustrated as it seems every time it seems to be going ok they send me more forms. I had a heart attack & by pass in 2004, since then I have had no heart problems (the only thing I have wrong that could affect my driving) I've had no heart related issues since my by pass. I did have some investigation which included having all the heart checks treadmill, scan etc in 2009 to rule out any heart problems & was given the all clear.
Just a warning that the DVLA can seem to be able to do what they like & trying to get anywhere is like banging your head against a brick wall. If I wasn't in the process of buying a new van & want it plating over the 3.5t I would just give up. What is annoying is all the information I am providing them with is not backed up by anything so presumably I will have to wait until they contact my doctor to check what I have said. Just wondering what form they are going to send me next.

Decision at last

Rang the DVLA yesterday & was told my license was renewed retaining my C1 category, even better news it was for 2 years, checked online this morning to check on View or share your driving licence information - GOV.UK to make sure. Took just over a month & this was with me downloading & emailing completed forms back as soon as I could. Still haven't recieved the last lot of forms they said they sent me at the end of January but luckily I was able to download them. In all I had to fill in 6 different forms one of which was 6 pages, a lot of them were completly irrelevat to me but it says you have to fill in & retiurn all the pages.

I would advise anybody who can to scan the forms in & email them to speed up the process, the email address is eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk , there are a few forms that they won't accept this way & its worth checking. The annoying thing when you ring them though is the person you speak to doesn't seem to be able to make any decisions all they do is act as a go between. I asked could I speak to somebody to try to find out why they would ask me to fill one form in then after a few days I would call only to find they would ask me to fill in another form. I was told that you can't get to talk to the medical department because of the number of applications it would take too long, where from my point of view maybe a quick call could clear up what forms they want off me & what for.

Can now plan to get down to Spain next winter, maybe our last chance before Brexit & we become aliens :drive:

I received a letter from the DVLA today, requesting me to make an appointment with the Hospital for a run on their rolling road, at the moment I'm having problems with a bit of sciatica and left knee playing up so will leave it for a couple of weeks hoping things will improve.
Kontiki, when you get down to Spain , YOU will be an Alien. :lol-061::lol-061::lol-061:

My little red book licence is similar, but has an expiry date also (many years ago ).:cry: I have had many more since then of varying colours and styles. :)
Does it? I have never had to show my licences to anybody, so I could still be running on that and nobody would know.
What I might do is apply for a plastic licence nearer to 70 and get a medical form from Doctors on wheels if I can and send it at the same time, just to confuse them. If they sent it back I could, at seventy say "You never queried the last one" might just try that one. I am still running on the green paper one so we will see, I will change it shortly before I need to.

I received a letter from the DVLA today, requesting me to make an appointment with the Hospital for a run on their rolling road, at the moment I'm having problems with a bit of sciatica and left knee playing up so will leave it for a couple of weeks hoping things will improve.
Kontiki, when you get down to Spain , YOU will be an Alien. :lol-061::lol-061::lol-061:

I have back problems that cause me difficulty walking, the trreadmill test was ok until the last couple of minutes & it was for me a very brisk walking pace. I believe there are alternatives such as an exercise bike or having your heart stress tested with an injection, I did ask at the hospital but they said they could only do what the DVLA requested, if I have to do it again I will try getting the DVLA to give me another option rather than the treadmill. I know somebody who can hardly walk they use an electric buggy for getting about & they have the full license, never asked them how they got through the medical.

I will still be & consider myself an EU citizen next year but after that who knows whats going to happen.

Can you advise what your medical issues were please , was it just a heart attack situation or any subsequent heart ops etc that was the reason for the treadmill test.
Thanks
jim

Can you advise what your medical issues were please , was it just a heart attack situation or any subsequent heart ops etc that was the reason for the treadmill test.
Thanks
jim

I was suffering Angina symptions, and ended up having a stent fitted.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back