DVLA D4 Medical for over 70s

John H

I have just had the D4 medical in order to retain my C1 entitlement to drive my 4.5 tonne motorhome and thought my experience might be of value to others who are coming up to it:

1. I ordered the D2/D4 pack online from DVLA and it arrived within a week.

2. I booked a medical through an agency rather than my own GP because:
a) they guaranteed to arrange a medical within 48 hours (you try getting it that fast through your GP!)
b) they charged £50, which was less than my doctor would have charged
c) they could arrange both the medical and eye-test simultaneously

3. There are several agencies but I chose Ryminster because they seemed to have the greatest coverage of doctors in my home area.

4. The medical can be arranged up to 4 months prior to your 70th birthday but the D2 application (which has to accompany the completed D4 form) cannot be sent off prior to 3 months before your birthday.

5. The medical lasted around 30 minutes and consisted mostly of questions which I answered verbally and the doctor wrote down the replies. The only tests were:
a) blood pressure
b) urine test (for diabetes)
c) eye test (if you wear glasses then you have to take your prescription)

6. Since I have no history of heart or other major problems, that was all there was to it. I understand that others, who have had, for example, heart attacks, have been asked to do further tests - including the treadmill - and that they were only granted a licence for a year at a time. Normally, the licence is granted for 3 years.

7. I have now sent off both the D2 and D4 forms and am informed that my new licence should be sent to me within three weeks (hopefully!). They ask you to return your old licence with the application but others advised me not to. I phoned DVLA prior to sending the application off and told them that I needed my licence because I would be hiring cars in Spain over the next few weeks. That satisfied them and I sent a covering letter to this effect with the application.

Anyway, I used the week in Blighty well and visited friends and family as well as attending the medical. Now I am back in the sun and have booked my return ferry for three weeks after my birthday so they'd better grant me a new one or I am in deep doodoo. :)

so if someone does not want to drive more than 3.5 tonnes do they need a medical ?

NO, they do not need a medical. You may drive up to 3.5 tonnes with an ordinary full Britisch Licence.

The only thing I would add to that is that, after the age of 70, you have to renew your licence every three years - but if you do not wish to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes you can do it easily online.

The only thing I would add to that is that, after the age of 70, you have to renew your licence every three years - but if you do not wish to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes you can do it easily online.

....and it's free!

Be careful

When applying on line make sure you have a photo copy of your old paper licence if you still have it to prove your entitlement to motorcycles and three wheelers etc. It has been known for them to be dropped when applying on line. With a photo copy you can at least challenge any renewal that does not include them otherwise you have to take the rest again!

....and it's free!

Not necessarily.

If you do not have a current UK Passport, you need to enclose a photograph and 2 forms of proof of identity. That costs £17 to process. It's only free if they confirm your ID with the Passport and use that photograph.

Not necessarily.

If you do not have a current UK Passport, you need to enclose a photograph and 2 forms of proof of identity. That costs £17 to process. It's only free if they confirm your ID with the Passport and use that photograph.

If you are not changing the photograph that is on your existing licence, you do not need to enclose photographs - even if you do not have a current passport - and do not need to pay anything.

When applying on line make sure you have a photo copy of your old paper licence if you still have it to prove your entitlement to motorcycles and three wheelers etc. It has been known for them to be dropped when applying on line. With a photo copy you can at least challenge any renewal that does not include them otherwise you have to take the rest again!

Also not unknown for the DVLA to lose records of entitlement. In 1997 they lost data on digital switch over. Some lost m/bike entitlement including myself. Had to do test again, even some m/cycle coppers had to do same I believe.

If you are not changing the photograph that is on your existing licence, you do not need to enclose photographs - even if you do not have a current passport - and do not need to pay anything.

Paper licences do not have a photo on them. So a photo is necessary.

Nowhere on the D2 Form or the accompanying booklet INF2D does it specifically say what you have just written. Did you get your information from somewhere else?

Paper licences do not have a photo on them. So a photo is necessary.

Nowhere on the D2 Form or the accompanying booklet INF2D does it specifically say what you have just written. Did you get your information from somewhere else?

Yes it does. Page 3 of the INF2D: "You do not need to provide a new photo if you are a GB photocard licence holder unless you are applying to update the photo on your licence" . It is also mentioned several times on the application form itself.

I agree that this does not apply if you hold a paper licence but these days most people have photocard licences - especially if they travel abroad.

I would agree about using a private company for the medical if you haven't had any health problems, as to my GP I was able to arrange a medical within a couple of days. Although the standard charge was just under £100 he said it was too much for somebody who wasn't a proffesional driver so said to give him about half so I paid £50. It took about 45 mins & he was able to do everything including the eyetest. In my case there was quite a lot of information needed from my medical records so the DVLA would still have had to contact my doctor. As to time to get it done as I had to do the treadmill test it took ober 3 months, then only for a year & as I need to apply 3 months before it is due it is less than a year.

I would agree about using a private company for the medical if you haven't had any health problems, as to my GP I was able to arrange a medical within a couple of days. Although the standard charge was just under £100 he said it was too much for somebody who wasn't a proffesional driver so said to give him about half so I paid £50. It took about 45 mins & he was able to do everything including the eyetest. In my case there was quite a lot of information needed from my medical records so the DVLA would still have had to contact my doctor. As to time to get it done as I had to do the treadmill test it took ober 3 months, then only for a year & as I need to apply 3 months before it is due it is less than a year.

Obviously, it all depends on your GP. With mine it is very difficult to arrange an appointment quickly and he is not able to do the eye test. On the D4 form you have to name your own GP so they can contact him/her for your records if necessary.

My Dubai driving licence expires in 1441. If I was to return would I require a medical if I wish to retain entitlement to drive heavy camels?

Last edited:
My Dubai driving licence expires in 1441. If I was to return would I require a medical if I wish to retain entitlement to drive heavy camels?

Put the camel on a diet to bring it under 3.5 tonnes and you are laughing :)

And for the Scottish old codgers you can do it through;
Sibbald HGV driver training
Shona's Way
Sibbald Park
Blackridge
West Lothian
EH48 3BN
Tele 01501 750900

When I sent my licence to DVLA it had a Scottish flag on it.
When they returned it there was a butchers apron on it.
seamus.

Just thought I would add a bit of praise for the DVLA, they often have to take criticism for the things thet do wrong or dont do .

I had my medical last Monday the 23rd ( £55 at "HGV medicals from £55. Amazing! And they give £5 to charity too") on Tuesday I posted all the forms off to DVLA using Royal Mail next day delivery . Checked the tracking and it was signed for at 04.05 on Wednesday
Postie has just been and it was my new license , now thats what I call service less than a week :wacko:

You must be one heck of an age. 1441 !! Is that BC or AD. How much are you worth? Must be a fortune in Antique value.

You must be one heck of an age. 1441 !! Is that BC or AD. How much are you worth? Must be a fortune in Antique value.

No it's AM.... After Mohammed........Dubai Licence! But you are half correct I am old, 66 alas!

Last edited:
I am going to see an hgv doctor for my medical this week £49 as against £120 by my GP.. specsavers for my eye test new prescription and they completed the eye test section and stamped it..
So fingers crossed..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back