Dodgy character wanting to buy van

So you are certain that the knife carrying thieves who broke into our motorhome and stole things from the bed we were sleeping in didn't use gas.
The local Belgium Police said we were the fourth motorhome to be gassed that month.

Without checking the van or being told, how would the average motorhome / campervan thief know about the non standard overt security devices on my motohome?

They also wouldn't know about the non standard covert security measures which I am not going to detail even to the group.

No doubt some door knockers will be genuine buyers, but the possibility is that some will be potential thieves.

About 0.5% (4,000) of UK motorhomes are stolen each year.
I'd go for pretty certain yes

Gassing theories have been dismissed time over by medical professionals ...
And as far as i'm aware,
there have been no actual proven cases

Pro thieves know the usual methods used to secure vehicles ....

And I'm pretty confident ....they won't be knocking on your door asking first .

I get it a couple of times a year and notes left on the windscreen.

Hand on heart the years I've had van conversions and motorhomes ...
I've had at least one knock per year
Let alone business cards left under wipers etc etc ....
NEVER happened once to me and now I'm really feeling left out.... must be all our shite vans :cry:

Nor me Merl.

I reckon they're waiting 'til it's finished. :LOL:
worried I'm going to find one of these under my wiper blade soon.
junk cars.jpg

Gassing theories have been dismissed time over by medical professionals ...
And as far as i'm aware,
there have been no actual proven cases
Well having worked in International logistics for over 30 years I can assure you between about 5-12 years ago it was common, not so much in the UK but certainly in Belguim and the Netherlands as well as Italy and Spain, Poland was also an issue but not so much.

We fitted time lock safes to the vehicles to hold keys and dead locks to the doors as well as gas alarms, sure a number of these attackes involved drivers who were paid to "sleep" but many companies fitted internal CCTV and the footage was clear to see.

Well having worked in International logistics for over 30 years I can assure you between about 5-12 years ago it was common, not so much in the UK but certainly in Belguim and the Netherlands as well as Italy and Spain, Poland was also an issue but not so much.

We fitted time lock safes to the vehicles to hold keys and dead locks to the doors as well as gas alarms, sure a number of these attackes involved drivers who were paid to "sleep" but many companies fitted internal CCTV and the footage was clear to see.
Royal colledge of Anaesthetist think it's bunkum ....

And I'm inclined to agree with the experts ...

The Royal College of Anaesthetists issued the following statement on 14th July 2014…

Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth.

It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use.

The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used.

If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.

I doubt the The Royal College of Anaesthetists ever dragged a bloke out of an Artic unit and watched the Dutch medics struggle to save his life, but I have.

I doubt the The Royal College of Anaesthetists ever dragged a bloke out of an Artic unit and watched the Dutch medics struggle to save his life, but I have.
And what was the medical report on that ?

Did it state the use of some form of gas/anaesthetic ?

I'm going to take a wild stab and say there is no documentary evidence of it being related to gassing .
BUT I'm happy to be proven wrong if you can provide it .

And what was the medical report on that ?

Did it state the use of some form of gas/anaesthetic ?

I'm going to take a wild stab and say there is no documentary evidence of it being related to gassing .
BUT I'm happy to be proven wrong if you can provide it .
It was 2014 and no I dont have the medical report, but the Dutch authorities procecuted the attackers for using chlorine gas, 19 years later I still know the Yardles Driver and he still suffers to this day.

With the motorhome gassings I don't recall any incidents , reports of medics being involved in resusation or loss of life. 🤔

It was 2014 and no I dont have the medical report, but the Dutch authorities procecuted the attackers for using chlorine gas, 19 years later I still know the Yardles Driver and he still suffers to this day.
As a refrigeration engineer and having dealt with chlorine based refrigerants in occasions including training on emergency procedures for accidental releases ...

Exposure to chlorine in even small concentrations ...
Produces almost instantaneous airway irritation and burning of the Trachea/lungs not a deep slumber ...

As a refrigeration engineer and having dealt with chlorine based refrigerants in occasions including training on emergency procedures for accidental releases ...

Exposure to chlorine in even small concentrations ...
Produces almost instantaneous airway irritation and burning of the Trachea/lungs not a deep slumber ...
One of my fa-ts will assure a deep slumber for those close.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:167)

Nesting Zombie, Jo001, TJBi, Pudsey Bear, ewen, TeamRienza, The laird, mistericeman, Tonybvi, colinm, Heppy, Charlynch, Gerry Attrick, rambrose, Neckender, n brown, Scotia, Fisherman, alcam, bartman, guerdeval, molly 2, jeffmossy, jann, Herbenny, trevskoda, Alberto, Rod, runnach, SimonM, barryd, Tezza33, edina, denmar, MartinFife, saxonborg, 2cv, Boris7, izwozral, NSY, RichardHelen262, mark61, Dowel, r4dent, Drover, Nabsim, Gadabout2, campervanannie, kingfisher1, merl, Topmast, DAVEY, korky, GeoffL, Dezi, DTF, Bigshug, Phantom, bobemmo29, oppy, andyjanet, yeoblade, wildebus, Wully, Canalsman, groyne, Andys, yorkslass, Lee, RSD7a, number14, bazil, Greengrass, AllanD, exwindsurfer, Glandwr, Tim120, Obanboy666, zzr1400tim, jeanette, peejay, Wooie1958, lizard, gypo, AdriaTwin, ricc, tribute11, helmit, Quiddle, Budgie, DaveH, davep10000, GMJ, marchie, Gerti58, Fazerloz, winks, Linca, Steve and Julie, mariesnowgoose, belbri, V1nny, iampatman, s4x4c, Robmac, Johndoris, chrishunter, TissyD, Benylin, marsden, caledonia, Lizzie, Headlight, Val54, Bouydog, clarkpeacock, witzend, longtoedsloth, Windy6, kevlakes, Chris Evans001, Mossystone, dbean, freebird, tobym, carthago, BOTCANU, Sharon the Cat, Polar Bear, ajb70, Rosehip, flying kipper, Clunegapyears, iandsm, noah and nelly, centerman, Ted, Martin P, DSR, sandya, Thistle, jagmanx, calvo, Salvage1, BigD003, Gasdave, Tartarus, Harrers, REC, Cass, murthat, KevinW, vtwinner, AndyJL, eddie5060, TonyandJo, Eric The Viking, Lovelace, barrypat, mick n jules, Bazza1509, dvla3336, Hogweed, sludgesurfer, Wardy73, roddew, sueb,
Back