Dodgy character wanting to buy van

I sold a house to someone who knocked on the door and asked if I'd sell it.
Funnily enough, I knocked on a house door [It is for sale!] yesterday afternoon, to ask if I could measure the drive, to see if the M/Home would fit ... I did promise that, if it did fit, we would phone the Agent on Monday to arrange a viewing. The vendor was entirely unperturbed, and she is interested in joining the M/Home community! The '2 minute measure up' turned into almost 1 hour discussing the property and motorhome holidays etc. Still haven't seen the inside of the house though!

Steve

Simple security steps needed here.

Fact is you simply cannot stop your van from being stolen, but you can make it hard to steal and if it’s hard enough and risky enough they will look elsewhere.

The longer it takes them the more they are at risk, the more they can be seen the more they are at risk.

The more noise they have to make the more they are likely to be heard and again at risk.

You have reason to believe you may be targeted so block the van in with a car or two, park it to protect the habitation door, move the keys ideally to another address and inform the Police of your concerns, check if neighbours have cctv camera, ring doorbells etc and ask them to look for the car.

It’s highly unlikely that these people will be back to nick the van, but you need to have piece of mind so play safe.
Thanks.
Fortunately drive is narrow, car is parked behind, wheel lock thingy is on steering wheel and front wheels at an angle so if its pushed it will just go into the fence. Keys kept in bedroom at night.

To be honest ....
your average scrote vehicle thief ISN'T going to knock on and ask before spiriting your vehicle away ....
Those types will just remove it silently in the dark of the night ...

The ones knocking and asking are likely just trying to flip a unwanted/unloved/undervalued vehicle for a few quid .
Good point. Feel somewhat less paranoid now

or to see inside to find out what security is fitted.
Hmmm OK ....

Hand on heart the years I've had van conversions and motorhomes ...
I've had at least one knock per year
Let alone business cards left under wipers etc etc ....

Vans still outside

They are just chancers hoping to pick up a bargain ...

The average motorhome/campervan thief will already know what they are likely to face security wise and WON'T want to make their life more difficult by alerting you to the fact that they are going to try to take it ....and giving you warning to take extra steps to secure it

Stop being paranoid ....

Or do you believe the fairy tales about gassing/covering your Numberplate when posting pictures etc etc

Or do you believe the fairy tales about gassing

So you are certain that the knife carrying thieves who broke into our motorhome and stole things from the bed we were sleeping in didn't use gas.
The local Belgium Police said we were the fourth motorhome to be gassed that month.

The average motorhome/campervan thief will already know what they are likely to face security wise

Without checking the van or being told, how would the average motorhome / campervan thief know about the non standard overt security devices on my motohome?

They also wouldn't know about the non standard covert security measures which I am not going to detail even to the group.

No doubt some door knockers will be genuine buyers, but the possibility is that some will be potential thieves.

About 0.5% (4,000) of UK motorhomes are stolen each year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:167)

Nesting Zombie, Jo001, TJBi, Pudsey Bear, ewen, TeamRienza, The laird, mistericeman, Tonybvi, colinm, Heppy, Charlynch, Gerry Attrick, rambrose, Neckender, n brown, Scotia, Fisherman, alcam, bartman, guerdeval, molly 2, jeffmossy, jann, Herbenny, trevskoda, Alberto, Rod, runnach, SimonM, barryd, Tezza33, edina, denmar, MartinFife, saxonborg, 2cv, Boris7, izwozral, NSY, RichardHelen262, mark61, Dowel, r4dent, Drover, Nabsim, Gadabout2, campervanannie, kingfisher1, merl, Topmast, DAVEY, korky, GeoffL, Dezi, DTF, Bigshug, Phantom, bobemmo29, oppy, andyjanet, yeoblade, wildebus, Wully, Canalsman, groyne, Andys, yorkslass, Lee, RSD7a, number14, bazil, Greengrass, AllanD, exwindsurfer, Glandwr, Tim120, Obanboy666, zzr1400tim, jeanette, peejay, Wooie1958, lizard, gypo, AdriaTwin, ricc, tribute11, helmit, Quiddle, Budgie, DaveH, davep10000, GMJ, marchie, Gerti58, Fazerloz, winks, Linca, Steve and Julie, mariesnowgoose, belbri, V1nny, iampatman, s4x4c, Robmac, Johndoris, chrishunter, TissyD, Benylin, marsden, caledonia, Lizzie, Headlight, Val54, Bouydog, clarkpeacock, witzend, longtoedsloth, Windy6, kevlakes, Chris Evans001, Mossystone, dbean, freebird, tobym, carthago, BOTCANU, Sharon the Cat, Polar Bear, ajb70, Rosehip, flying kipper, Clunegapyears, iandsm, noah and nelly, centerman, Ted, Martin P, DSR, sandya, Thistle, jagmanx, calvo, Salvage1, BigD003, Gasdave, Tartarus, Harrers, REC, Cass, murthat, KevinW, vtwinner, AndyJL, eddie5060, TonyandJo, Eric The Viking, Lovelace, barrypat, mick n jules, Bazza1509, dvla3336, Hogweed, sludgesurfer, Wardy73, roddew, sueb,
Back