Do you leave gas on

I have a twin gaslow system with a large and a small cylinder, I keep the small one closed to alert me when I need to refill.
DITTO- LIKEWISE. the big one runs everything, the little one last a day longer as reserve.

Fridge and HWS run on gas when we are on the road and furnace too if conditions require it

If I didn't have a secumotion type device on my rig, I'd turn the gas off on journeys, having done a ADR course (transport of dangerous goods) it's in it's own little compartment for a good reason. Yes, chances are v slim but it's not about you, it's about the people that could be hurt in an event that was down to the gas having been left on and some idiot driver ramming into your wagon. One spark along those gas lines and boom! At home, parked up, gas is always off, why would you leave it on with gas primed throughout the 'plumbing'? At least off it's restricted to it's cubby hole, which should be made of metal and is 'containment proof'

Last edited:
If it's like the other valves on the market it prevents gas flow during driving and rupture protection

people seem to think of the gas hose as a fuse,that once lit, the flame would travel back up it to the bottle- KA-BOOM!!!!!!
i also had this idea once,but a plumber who was looking for leaks in my basement ,years ago, by running his lighter along the lead pipe, put me straight. gas needs oxygen to combust-the pipe is full of gas under pressure,therefore as there is no oxygen in the pipe [except for a couple of inches at the end],then there can be no flame,or explosion.
this is useful to know in case of a fire. i once stayed in a caravan,the oven was connected by a rubber hose which melted and ignited behind the cooker, creating a large amount of flame. instead of thinking it would explode and we'd all die, i asked my wife to go and turn off the bottle while i put out the flames with an extinguisher,saving the van

Last edited:
I switch gas off when re refilling gaslow at a fuel station otherwise I leave it on.
Oh and we always turn it It off when boarding ferries.

people seem to think of the gas hose as a fuse,that once lit, the flame would travel back up it to the bottle- KA-BOOM!!!!!!
i also had this idea once,but a plumber who was looking for leaks in my basement ,years ago, by running his lighter along the lead pipe, put me straight. gas needs oxygen to combust-the pipe is full of gas under pressure,therefore as there is no oxygen in the pipe [except for a couple of inches at the end],then there can be no flame,or explosion.
this is useful to know in case of a fire. i once stayed in a caravan,the oven was connected by a rubber hose which melted and ignited behind the cooker, creating a large amount of flame. instead of thinking it would explode and we'd all die, i asked my wife to go and turn off the bottle while i put out the flames with an extinguisher,saving the van

You can have a very violent KABOOM Nigel ....... but not with a vessel full of Gas.

It will occur when virtually all of the Gas in the vessel has burnt off. The external flame can then go inside the vessel and the small amount of Gas, mixed with air becomes an explosive mixture.

In the case of a small bore hose (as in the case of a Propane bottle hose) it should be fairly insignificant. In the case of a large pipe in an Oil Refinery (as an example), it can be very worrying. With Methane Gas, the most violently explosive ratio is 5.5% gas to 94.5% air.

hi swiftcamper do you know if you can get the pipe on its own or do you have to buy the hole lot

Yes not such a small flame if it was the pigtail that was damaged.
Most modern vans now have these along with secumotion regulators.

off every time

Always turn the gas off when we move, as we have the regulators on the top of the bottle if it was left on and there was an accident the connecting pipes could rupture adding to the woes. I must admit the habit was instilled into me from years of sailing, gas, being heavier than air, can accumulate in the bilges and more than one pleasure craft has taken to the skies because of this. Did have a great moment on a yacht when there was a smell of gas and I sat using the bilge pump for some time with nothing obvious coming out of the outlet..... better than a flash and bang though.....

I think the official line is that if you have a rupture proof pigtail hose, ie one with a button on it, you can leave it on. Have just upgraded to a second gaslow bottle which has built in protection. The old one didn't so I use old rupture proof rubber one on that and a stainless steel one on the new one. So I will now travel with gas on too!
The only disadvantage of rubber hoses is the gas smell as they are permeable whereas the stainless steel ones have been totally smell free in use.

Mind you unless this bloody rain stops we won't be going far.....

You can have a very violent KABOOM Nigel ....... but not with a vessel full of Gas.

It will occur when virtually all of the Gas in the vessel has burnt off. The external flame can then go inside the vessel and the small amount of Gas, mixed with air becomes an explosive mixture.

In the case of a small bore hose (as in the case of a Propane bottle hose) it should be fairly insignificant. In the case of a large pipe in an Oil Refinery (as an example), it can be very worrying. With Methane Gas, the most violently explosive ratio is 5.5% gas to 94.5% air.
eggsackly Jim ! i was going to add that the plumber had a real fear of exploding gas meters,and wouldn't do his lighter trick less than 3 feet from one ! as for ''empty'' bottles,a mate set fire to a swimming pool of rubbish, not noticing the 'empty' . the explosion took out all his windows and some of his neighbours' and remove a few tiles from roofs. how i larfed !

Always turn it off. On the move and at night. Retired yachtie so old habits die hard.

I remember in the 1950/60's working at the Electricity Board a lot of work was wiring gas only houses often lifting a floorboards would reveal a nail through a gas pipe this would need the Gas Board to turn up to repair.
As it could be days I was trained up as a gas pipe repair chappie, now this was the days before pipe fittings all pipe were soldered, a gas pipe nailed on a hoist is a difficult one to repairs it means slitting the pipe for about 6" 3"; each side of the nail hole then peel open the pipe to reveal the rear nail hole clean a n d solder the hole fold the paperback solder the cut pipe. Turn the gas on light a match hold around the soldered joint to test this was the Gas Boards recommended test then.
Once you got a failed joint you never had another one.

I still have my miniature myths and cotton wool wick blowtorch.

Alf

eggsackly Jim ! i was going to add that the plumber had a real fear of exploding gas meters,and wouldn't do his lighter trick less than 3 feet from one ! as for ''empty'' bottles,a mate set fire to a swimming pool of rubbish, not noticing the 'empty' . the explosion took out all his windows and some of his neighbours' and remove a few tiles from roofs. how i larfed !

Last edited by a moderator:
It is time boats had to have drop out vents for LPG the same as motorhomes, it would be very easy to fit in a GRP hull :boat:

I remember in the 1950/60's working at the Electricity Board a lot of work was wiring gas only houses often lifting a floorboards would reveal a nail through a gas pipe this would need the Gas Board to turn up to repair.
As it could be days I was trained up as a gas pipe repair chappie, now this was the days before pipe fittings all pipe were soldered, a gas pipe nailed on a hoist is a difficult one to repairs it means slitting the pipe for about 6" 3"; each side of the nail hole then peel open the pipe to reveal the rear nail hole clean a n d solder the hole fold the paperback solder the cut pipe. Turn the gas on light a match hold around the soldered joint to test this was the Gas Boards recommended test then.
Once you got a failed joint you never had another one.

I still have my miniature myths and cotton wool wick blowtorch.

Alf
many years ago i was doing some work on an old lunatic asylum that had been turned into flats.my mate had turned off the stopcock and snapped the top off.
we had to get the water board to turn off the water,but they couldn't shut it off completely, there was a slight trickle coming through,and in my ignorance, i thought if i got the pipe hot enough,it would evaporate for long enough to wipe the joint.
so there i stood in a small sunken hallway,in 3-4 inches of water,next to a wall of meters and fuseboxes,feeding bar after bar of solder into the flame and watching it drip into the water, while the flat owner and water board guy watched impassively.
eventually i realised it wasn't going to work, so in desperation i asked the W/B guy if he had any ideas
did you bring a packed lunch? he asked
wtf are you asking me that for ?
well,did you ? he says
YES i brought some bloody sandwiches if you must know !
what sort ?
WHAT SORT ?
yeah,what kind,white or brown ?
**** ! i brought cheese bloody sandwiches-ok ?
yeah but white or brown bread
WHITE !! i nearly screamed
try shoving some up the pipe then !
as the urge to punch him nearly overwhelmed me i suddenly realised what he meant- stick a bit of bread up the pipe,it holds back the water, do the joint,turn the water back on and it blows the bread through ! a hard learnt lesson !

many years ago i was doing some work on an old lunatic asylum that had been turned into flats.my mate had turned off the stopcock and snapped the top off.
we had to get the water board to turn off the water,but they couldn't shut it off completely, there was a slight trickle coming through,and in my ignorance, i thought if i got the pipe hot enough,it would evaporate for long enough to wipe the joint.
so there i stood in a small sunken hallway,in 3-4 inches of water,next to a wall of meters and fuseboxes,feeding bar after bar of solder into the flame and watching it drip into the water, while the flat owner and water board guy watched impassively.
eventually i realised it wasn't going to work, so in desperation i asked the W/B guy if he had any ideas
did you bring a packed lunch? he asked
wtf are you asking me that for ?
well,did you ? he says
YES i brought some bloody sandwiches if you must know !
what sort ?
WHAT SORT ?
yeah,what kind,white or brown ?
**** ! i brought cheese bloody sandwiches-ok ?
yeah but white or brown bread
WHITE !! i nearly screamed
try shoving some up the pipe then !
as the urge to punch him nearly overwhelmed me i suddenly realised what he meant- stick a bit of bread up the pipe,it holds back the water, do the joint,turn the water back on and it blows the bread through ! a hard learnt lesson !
Do you know mate, I thought i twas just me goin gmad an old plumber taught me that trick as a kid ,,,I have told plumbers since who i have been with and rarely believed

Channa

Do you know mate, I thought i twas just me goin gmad an old plumber taught me that trick as a kid ,,,I have told plumbers since who i have been with and rarely believed

Channa
bit of an outdated tip now, not much use to a modern plumber using compression and push-fit joints ! got me out of trouble a couple of times though .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back