Do you leave gas on

Yes that's another old plumber trick that's got me out of many problems, water pipe came in many thicknesses as it was sold by weight rather than length.Another of my jobs was to plumb the Flanges into copper hot water cylinders for the electricians to follow on wiring up, as well as the oversize kitchen water heaters.
Brings back many happy memories.

Alf

[QqUOTE=channa;593355]Do you know mate, I thought i twas just me goin gmad an old plumber taught me that trick as a kid ,,,I have told plumbers since who i have been with and rarely believed

Channa[/QUOTE]

This could go on until folk get bored I suspect. Do you leave gas on was the question. Seems most folk do, some don't and some say you shouldn't.
Anyone got any instances of death/disasters/calamities/whatever as a result of a motorhomer permanently leaving their gas bottles on?

Pat

We are talking mainly about lead water pipe where a plumbed , joint was the only joint pre fitting although if a soldered joint on copper leaks the bread can be used but most plumbers would use push on or compression fittings

Alf

You would be surprised a lot of work is still in copper, even in houses.

Most important thing about gas and motorhomes is that the holes to vent it is at the lowest point as LPG is much heavier than air and always goes downwards and hopefully out. The best detector is the mk1 nose, stuck where it shouldn't go under the cupboards and cabinet. The stenchant they use is very pungent detectable at millions to one . Boats tend to have the lowest part in the water which tends to want to come the other way through the hole you make to let the gas out.:hammer:

Hi all just been going through posts and the magority of folk leave gas on when travelling , does that mean no one shuts there gas of when they go to sleep or do you all have a gas alarm fitted ?

Jim

Hi all just been going through posts and the magority of folk leave gas on when travelling , does that mean no one shuts there gas of when they go to sleep or do you all have a gas alarm fitted ?

Jim

The only sort of gas alarm you need is a CO alarm.

Hi all just been going through posts and the magority of folk leave gas on when travelling , does that mean no one shuts there gas of when they go to sleep or do you all have a gas alarm fitted ? Jim

Usually turn it off to travel but at night the heating still needs it on I have gas supply at home and don't turn if off when going to bed

If you turn your gas off at night you are turning your fridge off as well. Not much of a problem at this time of year but in summer or warmer places?

Richard

I made sure to get into the habit of turning it off before driving. Mainly because I know if I didn't, it would ultimately end up with it being on my drive using all the gas to chill an empty fridge for the next week or whatever...

Off overnight is daft - the heating won't work, and that's about the only time it goes on.

Don't you turn the fridge off when empty and not in use. It's a bit like leaving a ring turned on on the hob in case you might need to boil the kettle.:idea:

Alf

I made sure to get into the habit of turning it off before driving. Mainly because I know if I didn't, it would ultimately end up with it being on my drive using all the gas to chill an empty fridge for the next week or whatever...

Off overnight is daft - the heating won't work, and that's about the only time it goes on.

i'd turn the fridge off overnight ,no point wasting gas on an already cold insulated box which won't be opened till morning . and the heating isn't used at night as the bed is warm. but the gas stays on as i can't see a reason to turn it off

i'd turn the fridge off overnight ,no point wasting gas on an already cold insulated box which won't be opened till morning . and the heating isn't used at night as the bed is warm. but the gas stays on as i can't see a reason to turn it off

I've never thought of turning the fridge off overnight to save gas when wilding.
I usually have the freezer compartment full of homemade curries, spag bolls etc. Would they be ok ?

Boilers (home) haven't had pilot lights for years.

Alf, Of course I wouldn't intend to leave the fridge on - pulling up at home is always busy and it would be easily forgotten.

Last edited:
When boarding ferries to Shetland, Orkney and some ferries to the outer Scottish isles drivers are asked not only if their gas is off but to check it again!

David

Must agree about the gas safety regulations being OTT.I always travel with gas on and have done for the last 10 years.I'm still here and haven't been blown up yet.The only time it has been physically checked to be in the off position was by an official when using eurotunnel.

I've never thought of turning the fridge off overnight to save gas when wilding.
I usually have the freezer compartment full of homemade curries, spag bolls etc. Would they be ok ?

Most MH fridges drop the temp in the fridge about 15 or 20 degrees below ambient so during the day in warm weather struggle, especially if opened regularly. Ambient temp drops at night and the fridge is left closed so food gets colder and acts as a cold store to keep temp down during the next day. Leave it on.

Richard

running with gas on

I always turn mine off __what would happen if you were involved In an accident ? if your gas was left on there is a greater chance of an explosion,emergency services would find the gas had been left on any report to your insurance company could result in a rejection if you had a claim.:dog:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back